Starbucks CEO says no "silver bullet" for fixing Starbucks

uscitizen

Villified User
By Lisa Baertlein

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Warning of an economic "tailspin," Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O: Quote, Profile, Research) outlined long-awaited plans to turn around its U.S. business on Wednesday, but details from new coffee machines to a rewards program for frequent customers failed to excite investors, who sent shares down 4 percent.

Chief Executive Howard Schultz told the company's annual meeting there was no "silver bullet" for fixing Starbucks, whose stock has dropped 40 percent over the last 12 months.

The company's blazing U.S. sales growth stalled in the most recent quarter, when a decline in traffic caused sales at domestic stores open at least 13 months to fall 1 percent -- the first quarterly fall in company history.

Schultz returned as chief executive in January, promising to change what he had called the "commoditization" of the brand, but John Langston, a senior analyst at Hodges Capital Management, said he did not hear anything that made him want to buy the stock again.

"I didn't really hear anything that blew my skirt up," he said.

Starbucks aims to woo consumers, who are rethinking their spending amid a broad economic downturn, by rolling out a new coffee blend, delving into energy drinks and investing in espresso equipment and high-end French presses. It said it had bought 'Clover' French press maker Coffee Equipment Co.

Starbucks has long said its $3 to $5 coffee is an "affordable luxury," but that assumption is being challenged because consumers are spending less on everything, from dining out to buying clothing, as home prices fall and the cost of necessities such as gas and fuel continue to rise.

"We're an affordable luxury, but there are forces of nature here that we can't control," Schultz told journalists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1932070520080319?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&rpc=23&sp=true

This is for those who disagreed with me when I said some time ago that luxury stuff like Starbucks would be one of the first things to go as times got harder.
Apparently their CEO sees this too. Smart guy.

How can they be going broke whenever they charge 5 dollars for something that took, and I'm guesstimating here, about half a dollar to make? They must have some of the most ridiculous profit margins in the entire economy.

"I didn't really hear anything that blew my skirt up," -John Langston

LOL Hodges Capital Management hired a transvestite as their senior analyist! :lolup:

How can they be going broke whenever they charge 5 dollars for something that took, and I'm guesstimating here, about half a dollar to make? They must have some of the most ridiculous profit margins in the entire economy.

But people have to buy their product.

wow down 1% in sales, and starbucks is going bankrupt. USGED your really missed out on a lot by skipping college.

This is for those who disagreed with me when I said some time ago that luxury stuff like Starbucks would be one of the first things to go as times got harder.
Apparently their CEO sees this too. Smart guy.

Restaurants are a good bellwether.

Restaurants are a good bellwether.

Yep especially the ones that sell expensive stuff but cater to the masses.

McDonalds will be around though.
And so will the ritzy restaurants in the rich neighborhoods. Not the wannabe rich though, many of them will go bust in hard times from living on the edge of their means.

had you gone to college and taken economics they would have taught you about the business cycle. ie. slowdowns are natural and occur every so often.

By Lisa Baertlein

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Warning of an economic "tailspin," Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O: Quote, Profile, Research) outlined long-awaited plans to turn around its U.S. business on Wednesday, but details from new coffee machines to a rewards program for frequent customers failed to excite investors, who sent shares down 4 percent.

Chief Executive Howard Schultz told the company's annual meeting there was no "silver bullet" for fixing Starbucks, whose stock has dropped 40 percent over the last 12 months.

The company's blazing U.S. sales growth stalled in the most recent quarter, when a decline in traffic caused sales at domestic stores open at least 13 months to fall 1 percent -- the first quarterly fall in company history.

Schultz returned as chief executive in January, promising to change what he had called the "commoditization" of the brand, but John Langston, a senior analyst at Hodges Capital Management, said he did not hear anything that made him want to buy the stock again.

"I didn't really hear anything that blew my skirt up," he said.

Starbucks aims to woo consumers, who are rethinking their spending amid a broad economic downturn, by rolling out a new coffee blend, delving into energy drinks and investing in espresso equipment and high-end French presses. It said it had bought 'Clover' French press maker Coffee Equipment Co.

Starbucks has long said its $3 to $5 coffee is an "affordable luxury," but that assumption is being challenged because consumers are spending less on everything, from dining out to buying clothing, as home prices fall and the cost of necessities such as gas and fuel continue to rise.

"We're an affordable luxury, but there are forces of nature here that we can't control," Schultz told journalists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1932070520080319?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&rpc=23&sp=true

Here's a solution, how about instead of racking up liabilities with store after store to feed the Beatniks their cool coffee. Close a bunch of them down. Save on operating expenses. Instead of having 3 locations in one mall, cut it down to one.

I read a few weeks ago that SB has at least cancelled many stores scheduled to open.

Of course they could hire topspin as their CEO.
:D

I read a few weeks ago that SB has at least cancelled many stores scheduled to open.

Of course they could hire topspin as their CEO.
:D

I'm sure that would be entertaining to watch. I bet he'd by more stock in Oil, then there would be a new magic 'shot' to put in the coffee called 'Diesel'... he would be a billionaire!

I can’t kick my starbucks habit. When I was in Maryland last week for the hearings, it was the worst I’ve been with that, because I stayed at the Bethesda Hilton and there was a Starbucks right in the lobby. They opened at 6:30 am, and every morning I was the first customer, right on the dot. I am addicted to the soy honey lattes, and the soy toffee nut lattes. I was doing two a day there, but at home, I usually keep it at one a day.

I guess what will happen is, if as is appearing more and more likely McCain is our next President, and he finishes the job bush started – and he will – I will end up in the financial toilet along with everybody else and then I will finally have to kick them. But, the silver lining in that cloud will be all of the die-hards pretending that “race had nothing to do with it!” are going to be broke and wondering how they’re going to feed their kids. I don’t have kids. So, that will at least give me some laughs. You have to find the bright spot in every situation. That’s how I’ve kept myself looking almost ten years younger than I am, frankly.

Back