Stopped Script

I really need to learn Spanish.

I live in a place that is 67% latino.

sweet neighbors who are just wonderful and I cant talk to them very well.

Whatever happened to talking increasingly slowly and loudly, some frantic pointing and, perhaps, an elaborate mime in order to communicate, eh?

Good times.

Hey....dog=perro.....there, I helped you....don't forget to roll your "R's".... hehehe.

Oh I know quite a few individual words.

Just cant speak it or understand much when its spoken.

I have awesome neighbors though.

latino families are just so nice

Whatever happened to talking increasingly slowly and loudly, some frantic pointing and, perhaps, an elaborate mime in order to communicate, eh?

Good times.

Everybody knows if you speak more slowly and loudly while proclaiming you are American repeatedly everybody will understand you and think you're just the best thing since the buggy whip.

Another cool thing to do while abroad, but it only works if you're from Texas, is to declare every thousand year old cathedral wherever you are as "small" and talk about how you have a bigger one at home, in Texas...

Yeah....I agree. I even have Rosetta Stone discs for a whole bunch of languages....but I never get around to using them....I was doing Spanish for a while and walked around calling the dog "Perro" for a while....but...I never committed to it...oh well, I still have them.

Rosetta Stone's most useful feature, by far, is the fact that if you use the paid version you can get an actual live lesson with a human being to review each section of material. And none of it will be in your native language, they're specifically taught to avoid talking to you in your language at all. Other than that, it can be kind of confusing. It's also not very good at teaching you basic conversation - it's methodology of totally avoiding your native language and only showing you images and such means that it's difficult to introduce basic concepts like "Hello!" or "How are you doing?"

The opposite, almost, would be Pimsleur's, where most of the disc is in your language, and it basically just drills some simple conversational setpieces into your head using spaced repetition to get you started. What I honestly do with this, though, is to cut out the conversation in Audacity and paste it along with the written Chinese of the conversation and the translation into my Anki flash card program, which I find a great deal more convenient to review.

Last edited:
What browser are you using, Cawacko? Try the site with a different one, especially if it's Internet Explorer, or try updating it (if it's not Internet Explorer, you just shouldn't use Internet Explorer).

Back