Study Finds One-Third in D.C. Illiterate

Allow me to put on my dixie thinking cap:

Well, being as though 1/3 is merely an abstract concept I this cannot be true.

I also heard recently that only 70% of our high school students graduate from high school.... :(

I had no idea that 30% of our students don't graduate.... none!

I also heard recently that only 70% of our high school students graduate from high school.... :(

I had no idea that 30% of our students don't graduate.... none!

That does sound like a lot. Where did you hear that?

Ooh ooh I know what we should do................throw more money at the problem.

Actually, I think I have heard on c-span that washington dc is one of the districts that congress runs alot of their "test" programs like charter schools and the such....

I believe alot of money has already been thrown at it and also many other type programs have been instituted in test regions there... so, I am uncertain on what could fix the situation there....

I've always thought that year long unisex boarding school for inner city youths would be great. Perhaps instituting exchange programs as well. The problem with a lot of people that live in poor urban areas is that they can't see beyond their neighborhoods. Its ridiculous when you talk to them at the mere suggestion of leaving.

I thknk a student exchange program with the middle east would be good, would make it less likely for us to attack each other and eventually bring understanding.

we could even make it a voucher thing so the rpeublicans would like it ;)

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_baeo_t1.htm

Table 1: Graduation Rate by State and Race

State
Graduation Rate
African-America n Graduation Rate
Latino Graduation Rate
White Graduation Rate

Alabama
62%
52%
33%
69%

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia
ins

Florida

Continued at the link above along with other Tables....

I thknk a student exchange program with the middle east would be good, would make it less likely for us to attack each other and eventually bring understanding.

we could even make it a voucher thing so the rpeublicans would like it ;)

I agree. I think that's the problem with a lot of people is that they don't view arabs and muslims as other human beings. They've become characatures in movies and on the news. You can even see on the boards we post on. For instance I think Grind's "nuke 'em all" stance would be drastically different if he had exposure to countries he has no problems destroying.

I agree. I think that's the problem with a lot of people is that they don't view arabs and muslims as other human beings. They've become characatures in movies and on the news. You can even see on the boards we post on. For instance I think Grind's "nuke 'em all" stance would be drastically different if he had exposure to countries he has no problems destroying.
Umm not so sure about grind, but it would effect most peoples attitude.
They might decide as I have that most "furriners" are just like us, people trying to make their way in life.

Man......Jersey sux! That's just pathetic. 75%? I guess I'm biased. I can remember graduating from my school and they had stats on people that went on to college and it was somewhere in 90% range. Its just mind boggling to me that the rest of the state is so low. What's really scary is that that's just the average, there are schools out there with much lower graduation rates.

Also LadyT, it would help preapre children to live in a global business type of world.

Perhaps the first step is to require 1 yr of exchange student work to get your MBA.
then later your BA, then your HS diploma....

Back