Study: Teen Drug Use at Schools Worsens

uscitizen

Villified User
Aug 16, 7:45 AM EDT

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Teenagers say drug problems at school are getting worse, and parents express doubts about ever making such schools drug free, a new study says.

The percentage of teens who say they attend high schools with drug problems has increased from 44 percent to 61 percent since 2002, and the percentage in middle schools has increased from 19 percent to 31 percent, according to the survey to be released Thursday by Columbia University's National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse.

Four in five teens in high school told researchers they have witnessed the use, sale or possession of illegal drugs on high school grounds, or seen someone who was drunk or high on campus.

Some 13 percent of teens said they had tried marijuana, and 4 percent said they had used it in the past month. Such survey results are often understated because respondents are hesitant to admit such drug use.

The survey also found:

-About six in 10 parents of teens at schools with a drug problem say they believe the goal of making that school drug free is unrealistic.

-Most parents, 86 percent, say drinking is a big part of the college experience, but only 29 percent think their own teens will do a lot of drinking in college.

-Students who consider themselves popular were more likely to use drugs, drink or smoke than students who do not view themselves as popular.

The survey found 24 percent of teens named drugs as their number one concern, down from 32 percent who listed it as a top concern in 1995.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEENS_SUBSTANCE_ABUSE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Aug 16, 7:45 AM EDT

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Teenagers say drug problems at school are getting worse, and parents express doubts about ever making such schools drug free, a new study says.

The percentage of teens who say they attend high schools with drug problems has increased from 44 percent to 61 percent since 2002, and the percentage in middle schools has increased from 19 percent to 31 percent, according to the survey to be released Thursday by Columbia University's National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse.

Four in five teens in high school told researchers they have witnessed the use, sale or possession of illegal drugs on high school grounds, or seen someone who was drunk or high on campus.

Some 13 percent of teens said they had tried marijuana, and 4 percent said they had used it in the past month. Such survey results are often understated because respondents are hesitant to admit such drug use.

The survey also found:

-About six in 10 parents of teens at schools with a drug problem say they believe the goal of making that school drug free is unrealistic.

-Most parents, 86 percent, say drinking is a big part of the college experience, but only 29 percent think their own teens will do a lot of drinking in college.

-Students who consider themselves popular were more likely to use drugs, drink or smoke than students who do not view themselves as popular.

The survey found 24 percent of teens named drugs as their number one concern, down from 32 percent who listed it as a top concern in 1995.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEENS_SUBSTANCE_ABUSE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I was a teen in the mid to late nineties. I think my main concern was HIV.

I was a teen in the mid to late nineties. I think my main concern was HIV.

Mine was graduating and not going to nam. I got 50% of that.
Never smoked pot or even drank beer till nam.

Hmm these stats could be used against the strong anti drug republicans it would seem.

Mine was graduating and not going to nam. I got 50% of that.
Never smoked pot or even drank beer till nam.

Hmm these stats could be used against the strong anti drug republicans it would seem.

I knew there was a political component to your post. What do you recommend, tougher drug laws?

You gave up the food of the Gods...for the food of the lost souls...how so very sad...and now you are following Elvis and Rush down the Pain Killer Road...have a nice short run usc!

LOL I take maybe 1/3 of of the pain pills the DR prescribes. But then since you know more than Dr's .....

Umm it is a political board.

I have no recommendations at this time.

Well if your a political candidate and you say drug use has gone up among American teens under this Administration's watch and that is unexceptable I think resonable people would think the candidate would state a position on how they propose to lower that number.

You'd be a great candidate citizen.

Citizen: The economy is in bad shape because of my opponent

Voter: How do you propose to fix it?

Citizen: I have no recommendations at this time. But vote for me anyway.

Well if your a political candidate and you say drug use has gone up among American teens under this Administration's watch and that is unexceptable I think resonable people would think the candidate would state a position on how they propose to lower that number.

You'd be a great candidate citizen.

Citizen: The economy is in bad shape because of my opponent

Voter: How do you propose to fix it?

Citizen: I have no recommendations at this time. But vote for me anyway.

Why should it work that way, bush proposed almost no solutions, just slammed opponents.

LOL I take maybe 1/3 of of the pain pills the DR prescribes. But then since you know more than Dr's .....

Well friend stick with the beer...two to four per day...preferably before dinner while stoking the bbq...My docs also rx'd me pain killers for a work injury...I threw them out and learned to live with pain(ya can do it!)..the most I do is a aspirin or two per day..and thats for a healthy heart and stroke prevention...

Well friend stick with the beer...two to four per day...preferably before dinner while stoking the bbq...My docs also rx'd me pain killers for a work injury...I threw them out and learned to live with pain(ya can do it!)..the most I do is a aspirin or two per day..and thats for a healthy heart and stroke prevention...

LOL right , DR's will not prescribe narcotic pain pills for 8 years without good reason, they are alergic to jail and liscence suspension. My current DR is a hardcore Republican who lran for state legislature last time.

yeah suck it up butt and cram it up your nose.

As if, your pain is the same amount as everyone's. You are such a jackass.

yeah kinda like voting for bush 2 times.

your responses are like a two year old kid. I can play the game too. It's Bush's fault that you are unable to say you would like drug use among teens to be less and say we should get either stricter drug laws or more lax drug laws to help with the problem.

That might take even a modicum of thought on your part. Instead you can enjoy being the little parrot that says 'Bush's sucks' to everything. Congratulations.

LOL right , DR's will not prescribe narcotic pain pills for 8 years without good reason, they are alergic to jail and liscence suspension. My current DR is a hardcore Republican who lran for state legislature last time.

yeah suck it up butt and cram it up your nose.

Right I will suck it up and be here for the Grandkids...like your Dr's don't get kickbacks and such...Okee Dokee...Mr.Weakee

Omg....

BB is one of those who knows what is best for everyone.
I am sure we all want to take his advise and be just like him :)

seeking more approval from the lib gals...how sad...Mr.Nam vet...I just gave my opinion based on experience...run anyway ya want...ya can run but can't hide from the truth..face it you are addicted...akin to Elvis,Paris,Rush and all the rest...no guts man!

Back