Suspected flag burner pilloried

The police had no right to pillory him. They had no right to do anything without prosecution, no matter what arbitrarily restricted choice he chose.

Everyone seems to be ignoring one detail, and that is that these veterans were also protecting their own property.

This guy did not go out and buy a flag and burn it in protest. He took down their flag and set fire to it.
And how does that justify them breaking the law themselves? Those who defend the law must themselves obey the law. Their actions were stupid. They should have reported it to the police. They well probably pay a steep price for their stupidity.

The guy choose being tied to the pole over being reported to the police.

The police were not involved and the man allowed it to be done. This is not a criminal act by the veterans. They caught the guy and gave him 3 choices. He could have easily chosen the police and prosecution.

The greatest part about this story is the fact that the VFW burns flags all the freaking time.

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=cmty.leveld&did=2477

Flag Disposal

Suggested Procedures for Disposing of a Faded, Worn Flag

1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.

Everyone seems to be ignoring one detail, and that is that these veterans were also protecting their own property.

This guy did not go out and buy a flag and burn it in protest. He took down their flag and set fire to it.

Sure, they should have called the cops and had him arrested.

Sure, they should have called the cops and had him arrested.

They gave him that option.

This way, he learned a lesson. The cops were not bothered. The courts were not clogged up with more low level nonsense. And the victims felt justice was served.

The guy choose being tied to the pole over being reported to the police.

The police were not involved and the man allowed it to be done. This is not a criminal act by the veterans. They caught the guy and gave him 3 choices. He could have easily chosen the police and prosecution.

That's the VFW's story, now. The original quote was...

"Let's just say we gave him three options and he took number three. I would rather not say what the first two were."

"I found him on Sunday and I duct taped him to the flag pole," Normile said bluntly. "He didn't deny it, said he was drunk. Let's just say he volunteered to sit out here duct taped to the pole."

http://acan.gohotsprings.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1552
http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.newsDtl&did=5221

If he volunteered, why did they need duct tape? If we hear no more on it, then fine, the guy chose not to pursue it... whatever. But I would not be surprised if there is more to the story.

The greatest part about this story is the fact that the VFW burns flags all the freaking time.

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=cmty.leveld&did=2477

Flag Disposal

Suggested Procedures for Disposing of a Faded, Worn Flag

1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.

please tell me you know the difference in the above vs. what happened here....or flag burning for protests....

if you don't, put your face into your palm and save me the effort

If he volunteered, why did they need duct tape? If we hear no more on it, then fine, the guy chose not to pursue it... whatever. But I would not be surprised if there is more to the story.

Would you trust a guy who would go to the VFW, cut down the flag, and then burn it?

In most places, if you take someone's property and destroy it, and then that person catches you, you are in for an ass-whipping.

This seems a lots better than that.

Suspected flag burner pilloried
Alleged offender hunted down, ridiculed after incident at VFW post

By BOB GARDINIER AND HUMBERTO MARTÍNEZ, Staff writer
First published in print: Saturday, September 26, 2009

VALLEY FALLS -- The young man was given three choices: get turned over to the police, go one-on-one in a fight with a seasoned war veteran, or be duct-taped to a flagpole for six hours with a sign around his neck identifying his alleged crime: flag burning.

It was the third option that would still have the small town buzzing a week after a 21-year-old was hunted down and forced to endure a public humiliation with its roots dating to the Middle Ages. Members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1938 were incensed enough to tie up the man last Sunday after they accused him of setting the flag in front of their building on fire.

Post Commander Nick Normile, a Vietnam War veteran, said the man came into the post's bar Sept. 18 on Poplar Avenue and was eventually turned away for not having a proper ID.

Apparently angered, the young man, who Normile did not want to name, cut the rope of the American flag flying overhead and used a cigarette lighter to set it on fire, Normile and others said.

The man sat pilloried as the village had its fall youth soccer picnic with a long parade of children passing in front of him.

"He'll never disrespect the flag again, I can tell you that," Normile said.

Normile said the flag had at one point flown over U.S. troops in Iraq had special significance.

Veterans, both local and nationwide, responded to the event as accountings were posted online to the official VFW Facebook page and national Web site. Comments posted supported the act and added ideas for further punishment.

Calls made to the alleged flag burner and a spokesman for the national VFW organization for comments were not returned. The Rensselaer County Sheriffs office confirmed knowledge of the event, but said they were not involved. State Police in Brunswick were contacted, but a trooper said no record of the event could be found.

The flag will be disposed of at a formal ceremony, Normile said.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=846181

View attachment 276

:rofl:

What ever happened to the good old days, when a simple asskicking would do?

Another empty-headed liberal...

please tell me you know the difference in the above vs. what happened here....or flag burning for protests....

if you don't, put your face into your palm and save me the effort

So the fact that they're protesting is the issue, not the fact that they're burning flags? That makes assault totally okay then.

Back