Teacher Salaries' Glance

uscitizen

Villified User
Teacher Salaries' Glance

A look at average and beginning teacher salaries in each state for the 2004-2005 school year, the latest for which such figures are available:
State Average Beginning
Ala. 38,186 31,368
Alaska 52,467 38,657
Ariz. 39,095 30,404
Ark. 41,489 28,784
Calif. 57,604 35,760
Colo. 43,965 35,086
Conn. 57,760 39,259
Del. 52,924 35,854
Fla. 43,095 33,427
Ga. 46,437 34,442
Hawaii 47,833 35,816
Idaho 40,864 27,500
Ill. 56,494 37,500
Ind. 46,591 30,844
Iowa 39,284 27,284
Kan. 39,351 27,840
Ky. 41,075 30,619
La. 39,022 31,298
Maine 40,935 26,643
Md. 52,330 37,125
Mass. 54,688 35,421
Mich. 53,959 35,557
Minn. 47,411 31,632
Miss. 38,212 28,200
Mo. 39,064 29,281
Mont. 38,485 25,318
Neb. 39,441 29,303
Nev. 43,212 27,957
N.H. 43,941 28,279
N.J. 56,635 38,408
N.M. 39,391 33,730
N.Y. 55,665 37,321
N.C. 43,343 27,944
N.D. 36,449 24,872
Ohio 49,438 33,671
Okla. 37,879 29,174
Ore. 48,320 33,699
Pa. 53,281 34,976
R.I. 56,432 33,815
S.C. 42,189 28,568
S.D. 34,039 26,111
Tenn. 42,076 32,369
Texas 41,009 33,775
Utah 37,006 26,521
Vt. 44,346 26,461
Va. 45,377 33,200
Wash. 45,722 30,974
W.Va. 38,404 26,704
Wis. 43,099 25,222
Wyo. 40,487 31,481
Nation 47,602 31,753

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PAYING_TEACHERS_GLANCE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

It's always wise to keep in mind that teaching salaries are primarily a function of what people pay in property taxes. For a state like IL, that appears 'high' there are countless rural districts outside the 5 country metro area, that do not pay close to that.

In my high school district, a teacher with an MA/MS +15 or more post grad hours, one extra curricular function, and at least 10 years teaching experience earns $125k, benefits, and a sabbatical semester every 5 years.

My elementary district for the same CV is $90k, with benefits, no sabbaticals.

It is impossible to gauge the value of a teacher's salary by only looking at the starting numbers. Teachers long ago obligated their employers through their union contracts to heavier payments toward the end. Beginning salaries are small, but even 10 years down the road with a Master's Degree they will be making more than my employees would after the same amount of time. It also was given at the end more than the beginning, it is in retirement that they really gain their largest advantage. They sold the beginning years out for the future.

It is impossible to gauge the value of a teacher's salary by only looking at the starting numbers. Teachers long ago obligated their employers through their union contracts to heavier payments toward the end. Beginning salaries are small, but even 10 years down the road with a Master's Degree they will be making more than my employees would after the same amount of time. It also was given at the end more than the beginning, it is in retirement that they really gain their largest advantage. They sold the beginning years out for the future.
Which is an entirely rational approach to take. Fundamentally little different from investing some of one's income in an IRA.

The *median* salary for elementary and high school teachers, at least here in California, is still nothing to write home about. In fact, it sucks, by California standards.

Umm the average pay guys, does it tell ya anything....
Average covers only a small range. One of the effects of the early salary being so small is often they do not stay for long. Most teachers are in the early years and have not yet seen the advantage of sticking. The average is skewed because of this phenomena, it also ensures those who stick more job security.

Average covers only a small range. One of the effects of the early salary being so small is often they do not stay for long. Most teachers are in the early years and have not yet seen the advantage of sticking. The average is skewed because of this phenomena, it also ensures those who stick more job security.

Well form the salaires you guys were talking about it , and considering the average teachers pay in the chart it appears we have a pretty young crop of teachers.

Well form the salaires you guys were talking about it , and considering the average teachers pay in the chart it appears we have a pretty young crop of teachers.
Which was my point. You should see the teachers in my kids' elementary school.

It should also be noted that more rural areas are also included in the median. The entire state would have a wide range of salaries as well, usually much higher in the more urban areas. Such is the case in every place that I have lived.

It also should be noted that other benefits, such as specially created housing for teachers sold below market value such as they have in areas such as Boulder, CO are also not included.

Much of the benefits related to teaching are not shown by listing only a salary, nor is the full story of teacher pay shown by listing a median that includes so many varied salaries across a state. A teacher making 65K in Denver may have about the same purchasing power as a teacher making 35 to 40K in a more rural area. Yet there are more teachers in the rural areas of Colorado definitely effecting a Median salary when including so many varied areas.

well they should move out of Denver then.
Why? They get paid so that they have the same purchasing power as those in the rural areas. You seem to misunderstand what I stated. Those in the Rural areas have as much purchasing power as those higher paid in the Urban areas.

The fact that they outnumber those in the Urban areas simply draws down the Median in your post. The number is artificially low because they include a vast difference in area, cost of living, payment schedules, don't include the other benefits such as special loans for buying houses in Denver for Teachers... and about a myriad of other things. Teachers are better compensated than the simplistic "Median" of a list of states will ever give you.

It is a reason that those who want to continue to press the idea that teachers are underpaid constantly use such inaccurate numbers to "prove" that they are right.

Teachers are far better compensated than such a list will show.

A better measure would be teachers in each area's purchasing power as compared to cost of living rather than a median salary spread over an entire state. The list should also include any outside benefits such as the equity in a home purchased under market value specifically set aside for teachers in high cost areas...

Why? They get paid so that they have the same purchasing power as those in the rural areas. You seem to misunderstand what I stated. Those in the Rural areas have as much purchasing power as those higher paid in the Urban areas.

The fact that they outnumber those in the Urban areas simply draws down the Median in your post. The number is artificially low because they include a vast difference in area, cost of living, payment schedules, don't include the other benefits such as special loans for buying houses in Denver for Teachers... and about a myriad of other things. Teachers are better compensated than the simplistic "Median" of a list of states will ever give you.

It is a reason that those who want to continue to press the idea that teachers are underpaid constantly use such inaccurate numbers to "prove" that they are right.

Teachers are far better compensated than such a list will show.

A better measure would be teachers in each area's purchasing power as compared to cost of living rather than a median salary spread over an entire state. The list should also include any outside benefits such as the equity in a home purchased under market value specifically set aside for teachers in high cost areas...

I guess it is a personal thing, but I can see no reason to live in a big city if you can have the same standard of living in a rural setting. Live fast die young ?

I guess it is a personal thing, but I can see no reason to live in a big city if you can have the same standard of living in a rural setting. Live fast die young ?
Some prefer that city thing. I do not, but I won't begrudge those who do. It makes for more places that I can live.

Seems like a pretty freakin' good deal especially when you consider they have like every holiday off during the winter months and two and a half months off during the summer every year.

Last edited:
2.5 months off during the winter ?
Not in the states I have lived in.

They would have to pay me a lot to put up with the brats.

Plus for at least several years teachers in KY are required to have more education.
then there is the summer classes required for the football jocks to be able to keep playing football ;)

Plus for at least several years teachers in KY are required to have more education.
then there is the summer classes required for the football jocks to be able to keep playing football ;)
They get paid extra to teach the summer classes for the dumb jock. Many take advantage of the time off to take a second job, others, after teaching for a while, do not need to and simply take vacations. The idea that they are ramped and working 100% of the year is a bit ridiculous.

They get paid extra to teach the summer classes for the dumb jock. Many take advantage of the time off to take a second job, others, after teaching for a while, do not need to and simply take vacations. The idea that they are ramped and working 100% of the year is a bit ridiculous.

I did not say that they did work 100% of the year Damo.
But then they are not allowed to take vacations during the rest of the year now are they ?

I did not say that they did work 100% of the year Damo.
But then they are not allowed to take vacations during the rest of the year now are they ?
Yes they can. I have watched as my friend and his wife have taken short vacations during the school year. Apparently they have these people called "substitutes" that will take over a classroom for a short period.

True they can't take a whole grip of the time, but they can take the occasional long weekend with a request for a day off as well as deal with family issues as they come up.

Back