Terrorists waging bio war on our bees!

uscitizen

Villified User
Mysterious honeybee killer could make dinner bland
POSTED: 4:50 a.m. EDT, May 3, 2007
Story Highlights
• USDA official: "This is the biggest general threat to our food supply"
• One-quarter of U.S. colonies vanish, about five times the normal winter loss
• Honeybees pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops in U.S.

BELTSVILLE, Maryland (AP) -- Unless someone or something stops it soon, the mysterious killer that is wiping out many of America's honeybees could have a devastating effect on the country's dinner plate, perhaps even reducing its people to a glorified bread-and-water diet.

Honeybees do not just make honey; they pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops the country has.

Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

In fact, about one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Even cattle, which feed on alfalfa, depend on bees. So if the collapse worsens, Americans could end up being "stuck with grains and water," said Kevin Hackett, the national program leader for USDA's bee and pollination program.

"This is the biggest general threat to our food supply," Hackett said.

While not all scientists foresee a food crisis, noting that large-scale bee die-offs have happened before, this one seems particularly baffling and alarming.

U.S. beekeepers in the past few months have lost one-quarter of their colonies -- or about five times the normal winter losses -- because of what scientists have dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder.

The problem started in November and seems to have spread to 27 states, with similar collapses reported in Brazil, Canada and parts of Europe.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/05/03/honeybees.dying.ap/index.html

I've been keeping track of this. I'm a little perturbed. I'm hoping its a result of el nino and that everything will be back to normal within a year.

We have had el ninios before...I think this is someting different. I don't seriously think it is terrorism, but that is possible....
At least until we discover the true cause.

The Associated PressBlueberry growers prepared to pay more for honeybee
pollinators

April 7, 2007

BANGOR, Maine --Maine blueberry growers expect to pay higher prices for
honeybees to pollinate their fields this spring following a die-off of bees
across the country.

Maine's blueberry crop requires about 50,000 beehives for pollination each
year, with most of the hives brought to Maine from other states.

Spencer Allen of Allen's Wild Maine Blueberries in Blue Hill said he usually
imports about 1,200 hives for 800 acres of crops.

Allen said his bee wrangler's bees are doing OK, but the national shortage
of honeybee pollinators is causing prices to go up. The price he will pay
has risen from about $50 to $70 -- a jump of 40 percent -- for each hive
placed in his fields, usually in mid-May.

"That adds up with 1,200 hives," Allen said.

Commercial beekeepers in 26 states have reported that they have lost between
50 and 90 percent of their bees to an unidentified disease. Scientists say
the country's food supply may be at risk if die-off continues unabated.

Maine beekeepers have several thousand hives that are kept in the state
year-round to pollinate apple orchards, strawberry fields and other crops.
But there aren't enough to cover Maine's 60,000 acres of blueberry fields.

Marc Plaisted of Pittston has raised honeybees for 20 years and supplies
hives to a dozen Maine farmers for pollination.

By time mid-May rolls around, he thinks the price could be $90 or more per
hive. Many migratory bee keepers are being lured to California, he said,
where almond growers are paying as much as $200 a hive.

But Plaisted's bigger concern is making sure the disease doesn't come to
Maine.

"We aren't seeing this disease here yet, but I'm very concerned about the
migratory bees that are brought into Maine," he said. "Who knows what
diseases they are bringing in here. If this disease is not here by the end
of summer, I'd be very surprised."

Nat Lindquist of Jasper Wyman and Sons of Milbridge, one of the state's
largest blueberry companies, said he will import 10,000 hives from seven
beekeepers. Lindquist began monitoring the bee kill last fall when his
largest supplier began reporting empty hives in Pennsylvania.

That beekeeper has lost more than a million bees. The bees in 2,000 of his
2,900 hives have disappeared -- a 60 percent loss.

"He has assured us that we will have plenty of bees," Lindquist said. "We
also want strong hives, and he has assured us of that as well."

------

Information from: Bangor Daily News, http:// <http://www.bangornews.com>
www.bangornews.com <http://www.bangornews.com/>

oh boy! here we go with higher food prices again! :(

Yes this combined with higher fule costs will raise it up. And perhaps the embargo on Chinese protein stuff will cause a rise as well.

Perhaps a good side effect will be reduced obesity ?

We had a honey bee shortage locally a few years back. We now have the same type of thing going on now in a wider scale. As it turned out a few years back it was a mite of some kind. I'm sure they've already checked this out but there's bound to be something causing the die outs. Hope they find what it is soon.

yes with some animal feeds being bee pollenated it will raise the price of meat as well if not soon corrected.

I read earlier this week that the die-off of honeybees isn't confined to the Americas -- it's worldwide. This is truly alarming. If plants aren't pollinated there won't be any seeds, hence no new plants for the next growing season. Even bread requires bees (wheat).

As I said in another post we will have to have virgins run naked in the fields pollentaing plants. Now where to find some virgins....Ohh the operation thing :)

Umm just had a scary thought the only adult virgin I know of is Brent....

Last edited:
We had a honey bee shortage locally a few years back. We now have the same type of thing going on now in a wider scale. As it turned out a few years back it was a mite of some kind. I'm sure they've already checked this out but there's bound to be something causing the die outs. Hope they find what it is soon.
Actually, they may have. It could be cell phones.

Okay, had your little chuckle? That's good. :)

We all laughed at that study, myself included, but . . . suppose it turns out to be true? There's no doubt at all that the background RF radiation has increased dramatically in recent years due to the proliferation of all manner of wireless devices. Suppose the bees, sensitive and peculiar creatures as they are, really can't take it?

That would be a cleft stick indeed. Possibly one stuck up into a very nasty orifice.

Talk about a howl from the masses if the cell phones turn out to be the cause....
Most will say who needs bees and then whine about the cost of imported vegetables and animal feed pollenated by bees....

Talk about a howl from the masses if the cell phones turn out to be the cause....
Most will say who needs bees and then whine about the cost of imported vegetables and animal feed pollenated by bees....

It's like, I know that there was a time when I didn't have a cell phone. But it seems like it happened in a previous life, and I don't know how I'd have a life without it now. You'll get my cell phone when you pry it out of my cold, dead, hands?

I exaggerate only slightly.

Yeah, it would get nasty. And I agree: most people would say "I'll live without the bees" and then we'd all get a firsthand experience of partial biome collapse.

It's like, I know that there was a time when I didn't have a cell phone. But it seems like it happened in a previous life, and I don't know how I'd have a life without it now. You'll get my cell phone when you pry it out of my cold, dead, hands?

I exaggerate only slightly.
I probably shouldn't admit this but I started outlining a novel about it earlier this week. Partially tongue-in-cheek, naturally, but not in essence.

Back