APP - Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

Pretty much the only school district in the nation that's probably going to be shielded from these changes is going to be the one in California. The kids in my hometown will be receiving this education. This is disgusting - one school board should not have dominance over the entire nation simply because it is large and (unlike California) doesn't completely and totally dictate everything in the curriculum. IMHO, it's time for national standards. That way, the voters of the US will have control over their textbooks, rather than the voters of Texas having control over ours.
Education is not one of the powers given to the Federal government in the constitution. You'd need a constitutional amendment.

Education is not one of the powers given to the Federal government in the constitution. You'd need a constitutional amendment.

Nah, you could just condition federal funds on states adopting the national standards. Of course, some states might opt out as some did for NCLB funding, but most need the funds and would adopt the standards to comply.

Personally, I think national standards are pretty stupid and would make this more of a political process than it is now. And the dominance of Texas over textbook content is going to rapidly decline over the next decade or so with technological advancements to make it a non-issue, except for to children unfortunate enough to live in Texas.

Nah, you could just condition federal funds on states adopting the national standards. Of course, some states might opt out as some did for NCLB funding, but most need the funds and would adopt the standards to comply.

Personally, I think national standards are pretty stupid and would make this more of a political process than it is now. And the dominance of Texas over textbook content is going to rapidly decline over the next decade or so with technological advancements to make it a non-issue, except for to children unfortunate enough to live in Texas.
Right. Or CA.

The reality is, they've been controlled for a long time by one side of the political spectrum, this is just people on that side of the equation getting upset when their total control has slipped from their fingers.

The books are just as accurate, they simply have a different focus as to which history will be taught, and the final decisions were nothing like the story originally started as.

And end-running through "funding" what you have, specifically stated, no power to control is still unconstitutional. Until recently the government respected that and simply funded food for students of lower income. It was only Bush and his constitutionally liberal agenda that finally forsook the constitution and ordered "standards" to be followed by the schools. It's just a gross grab at power specifically listed to a different entity.

Right. Or CA.

The reality is, they've been controlled for a long time by one side of the political spectrum, this is just people on that side of the equation getting upset when their total control has slipped from their fingers.

The books are just as accurate, they simply have a different focus as to which history will be taught, and the final decisions were nothing like the story originally started as.

I really have no interest in getting into a pissing match with you over this. Christ, not too long ago you were claiming that the Texas Board was controlled by liberals.

And end-running through "funding" what you have, specifically stated, no power to control is still unconstitutional.

No, it isn't.

I really have no interest in getting into a pissing match with you over this. Christ, not too long ago you were claiming that the Texas Board was controlled by liberals.

No, it isn't.
It is.

Even when Bush does it when he signs legislation written by Kennedy. Poor decisions of the SCOTUS notwithstanding. If money is "free speech" then it is equally power when used by the government to enforce specific actions. That it is carrot and not stick doesn't mean it isn't an unconstitutional foray into something they are specifically left out of in the governing documents.

Right. Or CA.

And end-running through "funding" what you have, specifically stated, no power to control is still unconstitutional. Until recently the government respected that and simply funded food for students of lower income. It was only Bush and his constitutionally liberal agenda that finally forsook the constitution and ordered "standards" to be followed by the schools. It's just a gross grab at power specifically listed to a different entity.

There was additional funding to states for education apart from Title1 funding pre-Bush. NCLB merely required standards to be met to continue getting said funding!

There was additional funding to states for education apart from Title1 funding pre-Bush. NCLB merely required standards to be met to continue getting said funding!
There shouldn't be any, either standards or funding. To bypass the constitution because it is "education" isn't valid just because it was pre-Bush...

The standards to get funding is not within the purview of that government entity, it is an attempt to control what they have been specifically told not to. "Any power not given the Federal government is reserved for either the States or the Individual"...

Education is without a doubt the most insidious of power, local control is the first defense against a government that wishes to propagandize rather than to educate.

I don't think any state should have this much control over other states, nor should the federal government. We constantly allow these end-run usurpations of power without regard to what entity should control that power per our constitution.

There shouldn't be any, either standards or funding. To bypass the constitution because it is "education" isn't valid just because it was pre-Bush...

The standards to get funding is not within the purview of that government entity, it is an attempt to control what they have been specifically told not to. "Any power not given the Federal government is reserved for either the States or the Individual"...

Education is without a doubt the most insidious of power, local control is the first defense against a government that wishes to propagandize rather than to educate.

I don't think any state should have this much control over other states, nor should the federal government. We constantly allow these end-run usurpations of power without regard to what entity should control that power per our constitution.

I was just pointing out the error in your comment not suggesting I support federal funding, though if federal funding is given I DO want controls on it!

The regressives in texas know that Ignorance Is Strength. Your ignorance is their strength. Texass=big state with many small minds.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
Isn't just wonderful to see the first steps for Orwell's "Ministry of Truth"?

Too bad you libtards are against school vouchers.

And the Southern Man avoids the point as usual! Oh well, I'm sure when his grand-kids regal him with tales of how Rev. Falwell was instrumental in changing American politics, Southy will feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :palm: But what else do you expect from a mindset that thinks "librard" is a mature, equal response to the label of "neocon"?

And the beat goes on!

And the Southern Man avoids the point as usual! Oh well, I'm sure when his grand-kids regal him with tales of how Rev. Falwell was instrumental in changing American politics, Southy will feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :palm: But what else do you expect from a mindset that thinks "librard" is a mature, equal response to the label of "neocon"?

And the beat goes on!
What point Libbie? you hypocrite.

And in typical 'tard fashion, you spell 'tard wrong. :lol:

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
And the Southern Man avoids the point as usual! Oh well, I'm sure when his grand-kids regal him with tales of how Rev. Falwell was instrumental in changing American politics, Southy will feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But what else do you expect from a mindset that thinks "librard" is a mature, equal response to the label of "neocon"?

And the beat goes on!

What point Libbie? you hypocrite.

And in typical 'tard (ahhh, a typo is the best this moron has to crow about....how sad for the Southern Man) fashion, you spell 'tard wrong. :lol:

How can I be a "hypocrit" if you admittedly don't understand the point I'm trying to make? :palm:

Laugh, clown, laugh....the Ministry of Truth needs more like the Southern Man! Adios for now.

How can I be a "hypocrit" if you admittedly don't understand the point I'm trying to make? :palm:

Laugh, clown, laugh....the Ministry of Truth needs more like the Southern Man! Adios for now.
Holy shit now you misspell "hypocrite", and put it quotes because you thought I spelled it wrong.

Time to fess up Libbie. You never graduated high school, did you? :pke:

The federal government has the right to tax and give out funds to states as it sees fit. If those funds are dependent upon eduction, then so be it. States could ignore the national standards if they were willing to give up the funding.

Standards decided upon by the brightest minds in the United States are naturaly going to be better than standards divided amongst the most popular and ignorant proles in each of the 50 states.

Children in Texas do not deserve to be disadvanteged in their education simply be their presence in an ignorant and incredibly evil region anyway. Preferably, we would simply take all the Republicans in Texas and execute them, thus providing justice to the area, but since that's not an option due to pussy liberals unwilling to defend freedom, national standards are a good compromise.

Back