The 7 Creepiest Death Masks From American Political History

Am I going to have to know this for my citizenship exam? I thought JQA was, although greater than obscure, somewhat less than stellar.

JQA was a great man, and the only reason why he's largely forgotten is because the Jacksonian Pussies screwed over his presidency. "Selected, not elected," and all of that BS.

We tend to like JQA today because of his activism (really the first major politician to do so) against slavery as a Congressman, after his presidency. His ability for speech-making earned him the nickname Old Man Eloquence.

JQA was a great man, and the only reason why he's largely forgotten is because the Jacksonian Pussies screwed over his presidency. "Selected, not elected," and all of that BS.

We tend to like JQA today because of his activism (really the first major politician to do so) against slavery as a Congressman, after his presidency. His ability for speech-making earned him the nickname Old Man Eloquence.

JQA for the win....

Remember the Amistad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vik:

Am I going to have to know this for my citizenship exam? I thought JQA was, although greater than obscure, somewhat less than stellar.

Threedee idealizes strange people. JQA isn't generally thought of as an awful president, but he's not thought of as a great president either. He's in that great lump of mediocore in the middle.

Threedee idealizes strange people. JQA isn't generally thought of as an awful president, but he's not thought of as a great president either. He's in that great lump of mediocore in the middle.

I idealize him as a great American, not a great president. Same goes for his father, because the Alien & Sedition Acts are a deal breaker, which led to the Virginia & Kentucky Resolutions and to a growth in the Jeffersonian Press. And the Sedition Act was unconstitutional.

Well, JQA was a great man. Greater than his father, even. Too bad the Democrats had to fuck up his presidency! :mad:

JQA greater then his father? Dude, JQA was our nations greatest diplomat and an extraordinary man, but he wasn't even remotely in the same political league as his father was....or his mother for that matter.

Where do you learn your history? University of Mississippi or some backwater like that? You're starting to sound like Dixie.

JQA compares very favorably to William Howard Taft (a shirt tail relative of mine. His wife was a cousin of my great grandfather).

He's was at best, a mediocre President. After his Presidency he took a seat in congress for the State of MA where is was a major leader in the house. He was also an extraordinary embassador and is considered by many professional historians to have been this nations finest diplomat ever.

So, like Taft, who was a mediocre President but considered one of the best 3 Chief Justices of SCOTUS in our History, his political life after his Presidency was steller.

Is that what they're teaching in college now? That JQA was a great man?

He was. He just wasn't a great President. For that matter, neither was his father. JA paled in Washington's shadow, as any of the founding fathers would have but as a revolutionary and a political philosopher John Adams was an extraordinary man. Every bit in the same league as Jefferson.

Don't forget his travels abroad and his service in that State Department during his fathers Presidency. He did critical work in Europe towards cementing the US's status as an independant nation.

Ahhh I think what Threedee understands is that there is more to American political life then just the Presidency. JQA was, by his own merits, a great man. Was he a great President? No, not by any means but he had other accomplishments to hang his hat upon.

I idealize him as a great American, not a great president. Same goes for his father, because the Alien & Sedition Acts are a deal breaker, which led to the Virginia & Kentucky Resolutions and to a growth in the Jeffersonian Press. And the Sedition Act was unconstitutional.

I agree. The alien and sedition act was a tragic error by Adams. So was having Jefferson as part of his cabinet. Still, as a political philosopher, a representative of his state, and as a revolutionary, John Adams was a great man.

I agree. The alien and sedition act was a tragic error by Adams. So was having Jefferson as part of his cabinet. Still, as a political philosopher, a representative of his state, and as a revolutionary, John Adams was a great man.

That is true. I read a really great book while I was writing my thesis on Adams, and it pointed out that he had much more influence on the Constitution than "Father of the Constitution" James Madison.

Anyway, Adams was stuck with Jefferson because he was VP, but in reality he didn't play much of a role, because he refused Adams' offer to come inside the cabinet. Adams, who was largely left out by Washington felt an olive branch was needed this time around.

Back