The Art Institute of Chicago Has Put 50,000 High-Res Images from Their Collection Onl

Have you been to the British Museum? I just love the place, been there many times and always find it endlessly fascinating.

Yes. When I go to ports I try and make it a habit to visit the cultural centers first. Then go do stupid things....ha!

Been to both plus the MET and NYC's other famous museums, but all of them have a long way to go to compare to the Louvre

The Art Institute of Chicago Has Put 50,000 High-Res Images from Their Collection Online.

This is awesome!! https://www.artic.edu/collection?is_public_domain=1

A guy I sort of know my dad went to school with has done this for some small museums. He is a bored early retiree from the tech world who likes to dabble back in business every few years to feel like he is something beyond addled rich. When small museums are slated to close, he will go in and create digital collections before their holdings get scattered.

A guy I sort of know my dad went to school with has done this for some small museums. He is a bored early retiree from the tech world who likes to dabble back in business every few years to feel like he is something beyond addled rich. When small museums are slated to close, he will go in and create digital collections before their holdings get scattered.

That is awesome!

One of the best I have visited is the Hermitage Museum in saint pete (leningrad when I visited) Russia

Being raised in NYC there were always class trips to all the museums of art

Yes. When I go to ports I try and make it a habit to visit the cultural centers first. Then go do stupid things....ha!

London is blessed with some marvellous museums; the British, Science, Natural History, Victoria/Albert and National Maritime to name but a few.

The Art Institute of Chicago Has Put 50,000 High-Res Images from Their Collection Online.

This is awesome!! https://www.artic.edu/collection?is_public_domain=1

Apparently they have a decent collection of two of my current favorite painters, JMW Turner and Winslow Homer.

I think the argument could be made that Homer is the best American painter this nation has ever produced.
I did not actually know much about Turner until a few years ago, but that dude is really totally unique and he was kind of delving into impressionism decades before the French impressionists, aka he was way ahead of his time.

Apparently they have a decent collection of two of my current favorite painters, JMW Turner and Winslow Homer.

I think the argument could be made that Homer is the best American painter this nation has ever produced.
I did not actually know much about Turner until a few years ago, but that dude is really totally unique and he was kind of delving into impressionism decades before the French impressionists, aka he was way ahead of his time.
I love Edvard Munch, I see they have some of his works. I am not that familiar with Homer and Turner.

I love Edvard Munch, I see they have some of his works. I am not that familiar with Homer and Turner.

Is he that "scream" guy? "The Scream" is a great one!

Winslow Homer is a classic painter of the 19th century, known for his landscapes, seascapes, and depictions of nature.
He was so bloody good, that he is basically considered on a par with the great European masters.

When I travel abroad I try to visit a countries four most significant cultural institutions. Their Museums, Their Churches, Their Restaurants and their Cat Houses.

That is why France is the cultural center of the world. Most countries do well in one or even most of these categories but France does all four exceptionally well. Viva La France!

London is blessed with some marvellous museums; the British, Science, Natural History, Victoria/Albert and National Maritime to name but a few.
That's what scares me about visiting London. I have friends who have been there and never saw much other than the inside of museums. I could probably spend a month at London's Museum of Natural History.

Same with The Smithsonian here in the US. I have yet to visit it but I've been told plan on 3 days to a week if you want to appreciate the entire scope of it. One day simply isn't enough.

When I travel abroad I try to visit a countries four most significant cultural institutions. Their Museums, Their Churches, Their Restaurants and their Cat Houses.

That is why France is the cultural center of the world. Most countries do well in one or even most of these categories but France does all four exceptionally well. Viva La France!
I’ve never been to a foreign “cat house”, somehow I feel I never will. I’ve missed out.

I do not know what a cat house is, but I agree with the rest of your list.

My only addition is to say that I have an affinity for indulging in the landscape and natural beauty of the world. aka, Scotland = Loch Ness, Russia = Lake Baikal, China = Three Rivers Gorge, Canada = Banff, etc, etc.

I do not know what a cat house is, but I agree with the rest of your list.

My only addition is to say that I have an affinity for indulging in the landscape and natural beauty of the world. aka, Scotland = Loch Ness, Russia = Lake Baikal, China = Three Rivers Gorge, Canada = Banff, etc, etc.

You must be in jest? You have never visited at Chaton Maison? `A une maison mal famée? You must lead a sheltered life indeed my bonhomme.

Back