The BIG Four Oh baby!

Socrtease

Verified User
For those that missed it, THE New York Yankees won their 40th American League Penant last night and are now on to the World Series to play the Phillies. The Evil Empire is BACK!

No, it's vile and hateful. Go Phillies! Crush the Evil Empire!!

The top AL teams are not in the same league this year as the top NL teams. The yankees have great relief pitching but insonsitant aging starters and an aging infield that has shown there lacking in the clutch. The Phils have a strogner starting rotation a better closer and a more dynamic offense.

My prediction, Pillies in 6 games. 4 games to 2. There a better team then they were last year.

Last edited:

The top AL teams are not in the same league this year as the top NL teams. The yankees have great relief pitching but insonsitant aging starters and an aging infield that has shown there lacking in the clutch. The Phils have a strogner starting rotation a better closer and a more dynamic offense.

My prediction, Pillies in 6 games. 4 games to 2. There a better team then they were last year.

As an American Leaguer, I will be rooting for the Yankees to win, but it would have been nice to see the Angels go instead.

I would also like to point out that after seeing what happened in Pittsburg after the last Steelers Superbowl win, I do not believe that the people of Pennsylvania deserve to see any of their teams win at any sport.

Go Yankees, crush the puny National League team (admittedly, the Phillies do have a surprising amount of offensive power for an NL team)!!

Last edited:

Inconsistant Pitching? Lets look at game one starters. Lee vs. Sabathia. Lee went 14-13 with an ERA of 3.22 and 181 K's. Sabathia when 19-8 with an ERA of 3.37 and 197 K's. Slight edge based on wins to Sabathia

Game Two is most likely A.J. versus Pedro Martinez. AJ was 13-9 ERA of 4.04 and 195 K's. Pedro was 5-1 with an ERA of 3.63 and 37 whole K's. Last season with the Mets he went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA. One need look no futher than Pedro Martinez for inconsistent and aging.

Game three will likely be Pettitte vs. Cole Hamels. Who you say? COLE HAMELS! 10-11 4.32 167 K's Pettitte 14-8 4.16 148 K's. It is this duel that I think most needs to be looked at in the light of the games they pitched in the DS and CLS. Hamels has an ERA of 6.75 in three games. Pettitte on the other hand, also pitched in three games and had an era of 2.37. Hamels gave up 11 runs to Pettitte's 5. Pettitte also has 16 post season wins under his belt giving him the experience edge.

Finally, looking back over the season the Yankees out performed the Phillies in every catagory but strike outs on the offense. 20 more HR's, team batting average of .283 to .258. In the DS and CLS the Yankees and the Phillies were about even offensively and the Yankees had better pitching with a lower ERA over all and less HR's given up.

On the books, the Yankees are the better team.

wow missed one. BETTER CLOSER? Mariano Rivera is the best closer in baseball, especially in the post season.

Inconsistant Pitching? Lets look at game one starters. Lee vs. Sabathia. Lee went 14-13 with an ERA of 3.22 and 181 K's. Sabathia when 19-8 with an ERA of 3.37 and 197 K's. Slight edge based on wins to Sabathia

So you give the edge to Sabathia based on the one stat that has the least to do with pitching, wins, while ignoring that Lee played the bulk of the season with the lowly Cleveland Indians? That makes about zero sense. In the post-season Lee has a ridiculous ERA of 0.74 while Sabathia has a very respectable 1.19.

Game Two is most likely A.J. versus Pedro Martinez. AJ was 13-9 ERA of 4.04 and 195 K's. Pedro was 5-1 with an ERA of 3.63 and 37 whole K's. Last season with the Mets he went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA. One need look no futher than Pedro Martinez for inconsistent and aging.

First, you say Pedro had "37 whole K's" while ignoring that he pitched only 44 and 2/3 innings during the regular season precisely because he is getting older and cannot effectively pitch an entire MLB season. However, in his limited role with the Phillies he has been consistent and in his last start in the NLCS he pitched 7 shutout innings. Meanwhile, Burnett has a playoff ERA of 4.42.

Game three will likely be Pettitte vs. Cole Hamels. Who you say? COLE HAMELS! 10-11 4.32 167 K's Pettitte 14-8 4.16 148 K's. It is this duel that I think most needs to be looked at in the light of the games they pitched in the DS and CLS. Hamels has an ERA of 6.75 in three games. Pettitte on the other hand, also pitched in three games and had an era of 2.37. Hamels gave up 11 runs to Pettitte's 5. Pettitte also has 16 post season wins under his belt giving him the experience edge.

I find it hilarious that you suddenly switch to the playoffs for this comparison bout not the other two. Admittedly, Cole Hamels hasn't looked great this post-season. Then again, Petite hasn't looked great for about five years. Meanshile, you give Petite the "experience edge" while conveniently ignoring the fact that Cole Hamels was last year's World Series MVP.

Finally, looking back over the season the Yankees out performed the Phillies in every catagory but strike outs on the offense. 20 more HR's, team batting average of .283 to .258. In the DS and CLS the Yankees and the Phillies were about even offensively and the Yankees had better pitching with a lower ERA over all and less HR's given up.

This has to be my favorite comparison of all. You are comparing the offensive stats of an AL team to those of an NL team. Two words: designated hitter. It's nonsensical to compare the offensive team stats of AL and NL teams.

So you give the edge to Sabathia based on the one stat that has the least to do with pitching, wins, while ignoring that Lee played the bulk of the season with the lowly Cleveland Indians? That makes about zero sense. In the post-season Lee has a ridiculous ERA of 0.74 while Sabathia has a very respectable 1.19.

First, you say Pedro had "37 whole K's" while ignoring that he pitched only 44 and 2/3 innings during the regular season precisely because he is getting older and cannot effectively pitch an entire MLB season. However, in his limited role with the Phillies he has been consistent and in his last start in the NLCS he pitched 7 shutout innings. Meanwhile, Burnett has a playoff ERA of 4.42.

I find it hilarious that you suddenly switch to the playoffs for this comparison bout not the other two. Admittedly, Cole Hamels hasn't looked great this post-season. Then again, Petite hasn't looked great for about five years. Meanshile, you give Petite the "experience edge" while conveniently ignoring the fact that Cole Hamels was last year's World Series MVP.

This has to be my favorite comparison of all. You are comparing the offensive stats of an AL team to those of an NL team. Two words: designated hitter. It's nonsensical to compare the offensive team stats of AL and NL teams.
What if find funny is that you ignore the fact that with the exception of last years AL teams have won games in NL parks fairly regulary, the Red Sox swept their opponent in 4 and won two of them WITHOUT the DH. The DH is a way for the NL to whine about how they don't win. If you look at last seasons offensive team stats in the top 20 teams 8 are NL teams. If the DH rule made that big a difference they would be less NL teams.

I will say that its surprising to finally see a Yankees club with a formidable pitching staff (excluding Rivera), because it has been in quite a funk for the last several years.

Vegas is picking the Phillies in 5 games.

As an American Leaguer, I will be rooting for the Yankees to win, but it would have been nice to see the Angels go instead.

I would also like to point out that after seeing what happened in Pittsburg after the last Steelers Superbowl win, I do not believe that the people of Pennsylvania deserve to see any of their teams win at any sport.

Go Yankees, crush the puny National League team (admittedly, the Phillies do have a surprising amount of offensive power for an NL team)!!
Uh you are aware that the junior league has this Un-American rule called "The Designated Hitter" and that it has a significant impact on offensive stats?

You have to be careful when comparing NL and AL stats. Did you adjust them via a correction factor to compensate for the DH? The Phillies are a younger and more explosive offensive team then the Yankees. This year is probably the last HURRAH for the Yankees of the "Petite, Jeter, A-Rod" era. I see them as underdogs in this series.

Back