"The Disgusting Furor Over Biden's Age"

martin

"When the news broke about the special counsel’s hit job — his snide, unwarranted, obviously politically motivated slurs about President Biden’s memory — I found myself thinking about my mother. What year did she die? It turned out that I didn’t know offhand; I knew that it was after I moved from Princeton to CUNY, because I was regularly commuting out to New Jersey to see her, but before the pandemic. I actually had to look into my records to confirm that she died in 2017.

I’ll bet that many readers are similarly vague about the dates of major life events. You remember the circumstances, but not necessarily the precise year. And whatever you think of me, I’m pretty sure I don’t write or sound like an old man. The idea that Biden’s difficulty in pinning down the year of his son’s death shows his incapacity — in the middle of the Gaza crisis! — is disgusting.

As it happens, I had an hour-long off-the-record meeting with Biden in August. I can’t talk about the content, but I can assure you that he’s perfectly lucid, with a good grasp of events. And outside that personal experience, on several occasions when I thought he was making a serious misjudgment — like his handling of the debt ceiling crisis — he was right and I was wrong.

And my God, consider his opponent. When I listen to Donald Trump’s speeches, I find myself thinking about my father, who died in 2013 (something else I had to look up). During his last year my father suffered from sundowning: he was lucid during the day, but would sometimes become incoherent and aggressive after dark. If we’re going to be doing amateur psychological diagnoses of elderly politicians, shouldn’t we be talking about a candidate who has confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi, and whose ranting and raving sometimes reminds me of my late father on a bad evening?

So to everyone who’s piling on Biden right now, stop and look in the mirror. And ask yourself what you are doing."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/06/opinion/thepoint#krugman-biden-age

"When the news broke about the special counsel’s hit job — his snide, unwarranted, obviously politically motivated slurs about President Biden’s memory — I found myself thinking about my mother. What year did she die? It turned out that I didn’t know offhand; I knew that it was after I moved from Princeton to CUNY, because I was regularly commuting out to New Jersey to see her, but before the pandemic. I actually had to look into my records to confirm that she died in 2017.

I’ll bet that many readers are similarly vague about the dates of major life events. You remember the circumstances, but not necessarily the precise year. And whatever you think of me, I’m pretty sure I don’t write or sound like an old man. The idea that Biden’s difficulty in pinning down the year of his son’s death shows his incapacity — in the middle of the Gaza crisis! — is disgusting.

As it happens, I had an hour-long off-the-record meeting with Biden in August. I can’t talk about the content, but I can assure you that he’s perfectly lucid, with a good grasp of events. And outside that personal experience, on several occasions when I thought he was making a serious misjudgment — like his handling of the debt ceiling crisis — he was right and I was wrong.

And my God, consider his opponent. When I listen to Donald Trump’s speeches, I find myself thinking about my father, who died in 2013 (something else I had to look up). During his last year my father suffered from sundowning: he was lucid during the day, but would sometimes become incoherent and aggressive after dark. If we’re going to be doing amateur psychological diagnoses of elderly politicians, shouldn’t we be talking about a candidate who has confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi, and whose ranting and raving sometimes reminds me of my late father on a bad evening?

So to everyone who’s piling on Biden right now, stop and look in the mirror. And ask yourself what you are doing."

:tardthoughts:

004_jpg-3122793-jpeg.1500232

The far left loons on this forum voted for this vegetable knowing he has been a loon for decades.

“No, you are not forgiven.” Lt. Joe Kenda’s new book.

FANTASTIC! I absolutely am 110% in favor of the D party running Joe Biden as their Presidential candidate in the 24 general election. This is GREAT news! :cool:

The irony of nearly an entire base of voters who nominated the most deceitful and conniving woman in a century to be their presidential nominee in 2016 because they were tired of 'old white men' deciding on their lives now defending an old white man for his age is truly hysterical, revealing just how mentally imbalanced that leftists are.

FANTASTIC! I absolutely am 110% in favor of the D party running Joe Biden as their Presidential candidate in the 24 general election. This is GREAT news! :cool:

I've been saying that all along. Run Joe, run! And if Trump's the republican nominee and beats Joe, liberal heads are gonna explode! :blowup:

Let’s review, the Democrats are supporting a senile old man who speaks with dead people and “willfully retained AND disclosed classified material.”

A well meaning elderly man with a poor memory who “willfully retained and disclosed classified material.”

I've been saying that all along. Run Joe, run! And if Trump's the republican nominee and beats Joe, liberal heads are gonna explode! :blowup:

Absolutely correct. At this point Joe and kamala couldnt beat a mop and a bucket of muddy water in an election.

Back