The evolution of complex life

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Very cool; thanks for posting. I was struck by the name "Asgard" and then what they named the new organism, "Lokiarchaeum ossiferum." Can Thor be far behind?

Very cool; thanks for posting. I was struck by the name "Asgard" and then what they named the new organism, "Lokiarchaeum ossiferum." Can Thor be far behind?

:)

I was kind of hoping they would start naming scientific phenomena after cartoon characters!

:laugh: Really. I guess "Asgard archaeon" is the biologists' naming equivalent of the "God particle." ;)

Science geeks are pretty eccentric with naming things.

The word quark never struck me as sounding very scientific, but as of today you are only one of about eight thousand people on the planet who know that 'quark' comes from an obscure line in James Joyce's novel Finnegan's Wake.

One idea is that two billion years ago a bacteria cell enveloped and encased an archaea cell, and the relationship somehow became symbiotic, with the archaea transitioning to becoming a cell nucleus, and thus the first eukaryote cell originated.

One idea is that two billion years ago a bacteria cell enveloped and encased an archaea cell, and the relationship somehow became symbiotic, with the archaea transitioning to becoming a cell nucleus, and thus the first eukaryote cell originated.

Yes. And even today the organelle in our cells that supplies us with energy and which has its own DNA, the mitochondria, is the result of a eukaryote that engulfed another bacterium and began the symbiotic relationship.

amusing.......

Yes. And even today the organelle in our cells that supplies us with energy and which has its own DNA, the mitochondria, is the result of a eukaryote that engulfed another bacterium and began the symbiotic relationship.

It seems like one of the most exciting areas of scientific research because we have a lot of hypotheses, but there is a whole lot we don't know about his this happened

Ive' always been amazed at the way Cells and Solar Systems relate! Just an observation.

The sun is like the nucleus of a cell because it is the source of power for everything in the solar system just like the nucleus is the source of power for every process in the cell. membrane controls what goes in or comes out of the cell.

It is an interesting analogy if nothing else!

https://prezi.com/jeugum9gkoql/the-solar-system-animal-cell-analogy/

Last edited:
actually, it isn't an hypothesis......you should have stuck with calling it an idea.....
I accept your tacit confession that my hypothesis of a symbiosis of an archaea cell and bacteria cell to create a eukaryote is less laughable than your idea that an old guy in a white robe waived a magic wand and created eukaryotes.

Testibility is sufficient to qualify a hypothesis as scientific, but not necessary in the short run if a proposed hypothesis is attractive on explanatory grounds and is fertile in stimulating new lines of research which promise testibility and falsifiability in the long run.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...nism-basically-finished&p=5475473#post5475473

in the study of science there are additional requirements.........

The qualifying characteristics of a hypothesis is they can't invoke the supernatural, and they have to have a mathematical or physical basis, and they have to be make predictions, at least in principle in the long run.

--> Testibility is sufficient to qualify a hypothesis as scientific, but not necessary in the short run if a proposed hypothesis is attractive on explanatory grounds and is fertile in stimulating new lines of research which promise testibility and falsifiability in the long run.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...nism-basically-finished&p=5475473#post5475473

in the study of science there are additional requirements.........

Not really.

An hypothesis is really just your "starting guess". You have to have an hypothesis before you can start.

Of course it needs to be "falsifiable" but there really isn't any "requirements".

Scientists don't go into the lab and check off a list of things and say "Now, David, this is officially an 'hypothesis', let us proceed to step #756A"

I speak from 30+ years experience as a lab scientist.

Back