THE FALL OF ROME???

There are many aspects to it as well as much controversy as to when it actually occurred & why..

The thread has absolutely nothing to do w/ that party so pls don't try to make it about it..........

If you wanna discuss that party pls do so by making your own thread about it in another forum, thnX
hathi.gif

The Fall of the Republic began with the unnecessary assassination of Gaius Gracchus. Rome had gone roughly 300 years without such an incident, and it was foolish because Gracchus had just lost an election. Things spiralled out of control for the next century until Caesar finished things off. So, assuming we avoid seeing Crooked Hillary or Bernmaster Sandy (or Douchebag Donald) get assassinated, I'd say we're in good shape.

The Fall of the Republic began with the unnecessary assassination of Gaius Gracchus. Rome had gone roughly 300 years without such an incident, and it was foolish because Gracchus had just lost an election. Things spiralled out of control for the next century until Caesar finished things off. So, assuming we avoid seeing Crooked Hillary or Bernmaster Sandy (or Douchebag Donald) get assassinated, I'd say we're in good shape.

Interesting take... Given all that happened after that, how do you tie this/him to the collapse/invasions etc??

I'm hoping the country has enough people in permanent gov jobs that will NOT allow the trumpy clown to kill the government

he will try real hard to kill it

I hope we make it out alive

Interesting take... Given all that happened after that, how do you tie this/him to the collapse/invasions etc??
I think your confusing the fall of the Republic with the fall of the Empire. 3Ds views on history are often a bit out of the mainstream.

Did Caesar end the Republic or did Octavian? I would argue that Caesar dealt the Republic a fatal blow but that Octavian actually ended with his principate. The Republic was well on its way to dying before Caesar. Had not Caesar struck a fatal blow than Pompey would of as he violated the mos maiorum and Romes unwritten constitution far more often than Caesar had and if Pompey hadn't Appius Claudius Pulcher would have or Pompeys pimp Milo.

The Gracchi land reforms were the beginning of the end of the Republic as the distribution of the ager publicus to the capite censi was an attack on Senatorial prerogatives that would have ended the Senates reign as Romes supreme governing body in favor of the assemblies. The oligarchs of the Senate would not tolerate that so the brothers Gracchi had to go.

The actual fall of the Republic was obviously far mor complicated than that. The main reason it fell was tha the Republics governing institutions though very good at governing a strong city State was utterly incompetent at governing an international empire.

But it was more complicated Than that. The Cimbric wars played a huge role in the collapse of the Republic. It illustrated the incompetence of the Roman aristocracy it was the impetus for the ascent of Marius and his reforms that had all sorts of unintended consequences. The Cimbric invasion also was a major influence in causing the social wars which led to the rise of Sulla and his march on Rome which ultimately set the stage for Caesar to become dictator.

Since historians count Octavian as the first emperor, you can blame him for formally ending it. Even still, the principate under Octavian was still very formulaic, with the five year extensions by the Senate, rather than dictator for life.

I tend to be more obsessed with the Republic. Rome as a whole lasted a long time, which makes it somewhat easy to dismiss its collapse. One of the many causes was surely the fact that the army became less Roman and more Germanic. The terrible state of the Emperors, beginning especially with Commodus, was another huge problem.

Back