THE FALL OF ROME???

Rome fell because it preserved an archaic social system that made life insufferable for the majority, and paid far too much for 'defence'.

Rome fell because it preserved an archaic social system that made life insufferable for the majority, and paid far too much for 'defence'.

I keep hearing ppl saying "pay to much for defen"s"e (learn to spell proper English...lol) but they had a very well trained & dedicated force, even many/most of the "non-Roman" soldiers were disciplined & dedicated??

Even many of the barbarians tribes they used were good, & loyal until stabbed in the back by Roman treachery...

Since historians count Octavian as the first emperor, you can blame him for formally ending it. Even still, the principate under Octavian was still very formulaic, with the five year extensions by the Senate, rather than dictator for life.
Though we was in reality "Dictator for Life" if you prefer that to "Emperor". Octavians "principate" which kept the form and institutions of the Republic (though they were empty, hollow and nearly powerless) but all power for himself. It was really a matter of survival as although this provided the Romans with the strong central government they needed to rule an world wide empire it appeased the political class. An astute move by Octavian otherwise the political class would have done to him what they did to Caesar.

I tend to be more obsessed with the Republic. Rome as a whole lasted a long time, which makes it somewhat easy to dismiss its collapse. One of the many causes was surely the fact that the army became less Roman and more Germanic. The terrible state of the Emperors, beginning especially with Commodus, was another huge problem.
Marcus Aurelius certainly made a huge mistake when he tagged his son Commodus to succeed him as Emperor instead of adopting a man of proven ability and designating them as the heir apparent as had been traditionally done. Commodus non only didn't want to be heir he was both unqualified, unsuited and really didn't want to be Emperor.

I keep hearing ppl saying "pay to much for defen"s"e (learn to spell proper English...lol) but they had a very well trained & dedicated force, even many/most of the "non-Roman" soldiers were disciplined & dedicated??

Even many of the barbarians tribes they used were good, & loyal until stabbed in the back by Roman treachery...

I've always been told that the significant non-Roman presence in the Roman armies was actually a huge problem. Considering that Rome had long set a precedent when soldiers assassinated Claudius, and then basically had control over the succession during the entire 3rd Century (picking consistently shitty emperors), it's not surprising that the make-up of the military had an important role.

Marcus Aurelius certainly made a huge mistake when he tagged his son Commodus to succeed him as Emperor instead of adopting a man of proven ability and designating them as the heir apparent as had been traditionally done. Commodus non only didn't want to be heir he was both unqualified, unsuited and really didn't want to be Emperor.

I thought Marcus Aurelius selected his general, Maximus Decimus Meridius, to succeed him?

You should probably clarify what you meant then as the fall of the Roman Empire was very much different than the fall of the Roman Republic.

Can't we discuss both?

I never really discussed nor intended to talk about the republic, but as noted it is nteresting and played a part int the "fall"...

I thought most ppl believed the sac of Rome as the end, guess I was wrong...

You should probably clarify what you meant then as the fall of the Roman Empire was very much different than the fall of the Roman Republic.

No, it's my fault, as people typically mean the fall of the Empire when they say "Fall of Rome." I did specify Republic in my posts, but, I can see how it might be confusing.

8 Striking Parallels Between the U.S. and the Roman Empire

When read together, striking parallels emerge — between our failings and the failings that destroyed the Roman Republic. As with Rome just before the Republic’s fall, America has seen:

1 — Staggering Increase in the Cost of Elections, with Dubious Campaign Funding Sources: Our 2012 election reportedly cost $3 billion. All of it was raised from private sources – often creating the appearance, or the reality, that our leaders are beholden to special interest groups. During the late Roman Republic, elections became staggeringly expensive, with equally deplorable results. Caesar reportedly borrowed so heavily for one political campaign, he feared he would be ruined, if not elected.

2 — Politics as the Road to Personal Wealth: During the late Roman Republic period, one of the main roads to wealth was holding public office, and exploiting such positions to accumulate personal wealth. As Lessig notes: Congressman, Senators and their staffs leverage their government service to move to private sector positions – that pay three to ten times their government compensation. Given this financial arrangement, “Their focus is therefore not so much on the people who sent them to Washington. Their focus is instead on those who will make them rich.” (Republic Lost)

3 — Continuous War: A national state of security arises, distracting attention from domestic challenges with foreign wars. Similar to the late Roman Republic, the US – for the past 100 years — has either been fighting a war, recovering from a war, or preparing for a new war: WW I (1917-18), WW II (1941-1945), Cold War (1947-1991), Korean War (1950-1953), Vietnam (1953-1975), Gulf War (1990-1991), Afghanistan (2001-ongoing), and Iraq (2003-2011). And, this list is far from complete.

4 — Foreign Powers Lavish Money/Attention on the Republic’s Leaders: Foreign wars lead to growing influence, by foreign powers and interests, on the Republic’s political leaders — true for Rome and true for us. In the past century, foreign embassies, agents and lobbyists have proliferated in our nation’s capital. As one specific example: A foreign businessman donated $100 million to Bill Clinton‘s various activities. Clinton “opened doors” for him, and sometimes acted in ways contrary to stated American interests and foreign policy.

5 — Profits Made Overseas Shape the Republic’s Internal Policies: As the fortunes of Rome’s aristocracy increasingly derived from foreign lands, Roman policy was shaped to facilitate these fortunes. American billionaires and corporations increasingly influence our elections. In many cases, they are only nominally American – with interests not aligned with those of the American public. For example, Fox News is part of international media group News Corp., with over $30 billion in revenues worldwide. Is Fox News’ jingoism a product of News Corp.’s non-U.S. interests?

6 — Collapse of the Middle Class: In the period just before the Roman Republic’s fall, the Roman middle class was crushed — destroyed by cheap overseas slave labor. In our own day, we’ve witnessed rising income inequality, a stagnating middle class, and the loss of American jobs to overseas workers who are paid less and have fewer rights.

7 — Gerrymandering: Rome’s late Republic used various methods to reduce the power of common citizens. The GOP has so effectively gerrymandered Congressional districts that, even though House Republican candidates received only about 48 percent of the popular vote in the 2012 election — they ended up with the majority (53 percent) of the seats.

8 — Loss of the Spirit of Compromise: The Roman Republic, like ours, relied on a system of checks and balances. Compromise is needed for this type of system to function. In the end, the Roman Republic lost that spirit of compromise, with politics increasingly polarized between Optimates (the rich, entrenched elites) and Populares (the common people). Sound familiar? Compromise is in noticeably short supply in our own time also. For example, “There were more filibusters between 2009 and 2010 than there were in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s combined.”

By Steven Strauss
how_america_will_collapse_by_2025.jpg

Can't we discuss both?

I never really discussed nor intended to talk about the republic, but as noted it is nteresting and played a part int the "fall"...

I thought most ppl believed the sac of Rome as the end, guess I was wrong...
Rome is still here. :)

Rome fell mainly because they over-extended their reach.
That certainly played a major role. So did the latifunda, high inflation, the change of the military from conquest to defense, public health issues and political factions all played significant roles but being over-extended was the biggest factor.

That was ironic as Rome accumulated much of its Empire by default as by conquest. Many of their provinces, were acquired peacefully.

Last edited:
When read together, striking parallels emerge — between our failings and the failings that destroyed the Roman Republic. As with Rome just before the Republic’s fall, America has seen:

1 — Staggering Increase in the Cost of Elections, with Dubious Campaign Funding Sources: Our 2012 election reportedly cost $3 billion. All of it was raised from private sources – often creating the appearance, or the reality, that our leaders are beholden to special interest groups. During the late Roman Republic, elections became staggeringly expensive, with equally deplorable results. Caesar reportedly borrowed so heavily for one political campaign, he feared he would be ruined, if not elected.

2 — Politics as the Road to Personal Wealth: During the late Roman Republic period, one of the main roads to wealth was holding public office, and exploiting such positions to accumulate personal wealth. As Lessig notes: Congressman, Senators and their staffs leverage their government service to move to private sector positions – that pay three to ten times their government compensation. Given this financial arrangement, “Their focus is therefore not so much on the people who sent them to Washington. Their focus is instead on those who will make them rich.” (Republic Lost)

3 — Continuous War: A national state of security arises, distracting attention from domestic challenges with foreign wars. Similar to the late Roman Republic, the US – for the past 100 years — has either been fighting a war, recovering from a war, or preparing for a new war: WW I (1917-18), WW II (1941-1945), Cold War (1947-1991), Korean War (1950-1953), Vietnam (1953-1975), Gulf War (1990-1991), Afghanistan (2001-ongoing), and Iraq (2003-2011). And, this list is far from complete.

4 — Foreign Powers Lavish Money/Attention on the Republic’s Leaders: Foreign wars lead to growing influence, by foreign powers and interests, on the Republic’s political leaders — true for Rome and true for us. In the past century, foreign embassies, agents and lobbyists have proliferated in our nation’s capital. As one specific example: A foreign businessman donated $100 million to Bill Clinton‘s various activities. Clinton “opened doors” for him, and sometimes acted in ways contrary to stated American interests and foreign policy.

5 — Profits Made Overseas Shape the Republic’s Internal Policies: As the fortunes of Rome’s aristocracy increasingly derived from foreign lands, Roman policy was shaped to facilitate these fortunes. American billionaires and corporations increasingly influence our elections. In many cases, they are only nominally American – with interests not aligned with those of the American public. For example, Fox News is part of international media group News Corp., with over $30 billion in revenues worldwide. Is Fox News’ jingoism a product of News Corp.’s non-U.S. interests?

6 — Collapse of the Middle Class: In the period just before the Roman Republic’s fall, the Roman middle class was crushed — destroyed by cheap overseas slave labor. In our own day, we’ve witnessed rising income inequality, a stagnating middle class, and the loss of American jobs to overseas workers who are paid less and have fewer rights.

7 — Gerrymandering: Rome’s late Republic used various methods to reduce the power of common citizens. The GOP has so effectively gerrymandered Congressional districts that, even though House Republican candidates received only about 48 percent of the popular vote in the 2012 election — they ended up with the majority (53 percent) of the seats.

8 — Loss of the Spirit of Compromise: The Roman Republic, like ours, relied on a system of checks and balances. Compromise is needed for this type of system to function. In the end, the Roman Republic lost that spirit of compromise, with politics increasingly polarized between Optimates (the rich, entrenched elites) and Populares (the common people). Sound familiar? Compromise is in noticeably short supply in our own time also. For example, “There were more filibusters between 2009 and 2010 than there were in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s combined.”

By Steven Strauss
how_america_will_collapse_by_2025.jpg

I'm sorry Ken but who ever wrote this is not a serious student of Roman History. Virtually none of what is written applies to the era of the Imperium and about half of what he wrote could be applied to the era of the Republic if you don't mind that these comments are really anachronisms.

Bill - the question is, why were the Romans employing barbarian troops. It was because their army was becoming too demanding, and not into doing too much fighting either.

Back