The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there was a swipe at liberal wimps or something at first.

We have finally gotten a lot of rain. We had a couple inches of snow last year on October 5; hope that doesn't happen this year!

Just not ready yet?? I would think you would be well prepared living up there..

Just not ready yet?? I would think you would be well prepared living up there..

That early is a bit unusual. Still have plants out in the garden and in the hoop house; hoping to get to harvest a bit more before the snow/cold sets in for real.

Are you going to do some snowshoeing this winter?

That early is a bit unusual. Still have plants out in the garden and in the hoop house; hoping to get to harvest a bit more before the snow/cold sets in for real.

Are you going to do some snowshoeing this winter?

I sure hope to.....:)

What is still out?? I have just squash out- zucchini is still giving a few & the leaves are still up on the butternut & spaghetti squash & some are already ripe-prob do one tomorrow.. Someone was telling me about doing spaghetti in the microwave-I'm going to try it..

I sure hope to.....:)

What is still out?? I have just squash out- zucchini is still giving a few & the leaves are still up on the butternut & spaghetti squash & some are already ripe-prob do one tomorrow.. Someone was telling me about doing spaghetti in the microwave-I'm going to try it..

I've never tried making it that way.

Tomatoes are still turning ripe, have peas and beans out, and potatoes still to dig.

Wow, peas?? I should plant some but I might wait till spring-to hot in summer.. My tomato plants have some flowers & a few green but I doubt they will ripen.. I will ripen in the house & then use for pasta sauce

I tried w/ Chinese long bean aka asparagus bean but the soil needs a break & I didn't fertilize it enough so I only got a few...

I'm thinking of selling my rototiller & just letting the soil take a year off (which I say every year)... I think "no-till" might work better for this heavy clay

Wow, peas?? I should plant some but I might wait till spring-to hot in summer.. My tomato plants have some flowers & a few green but I doubt they will ripen.. I will ripen in the house & then use for pasta sauce

I tried w/ Chinese long bean aka asparagus bean but the soil needs a break & I didn't fertilize it enough so I only got a few...

I'm thinking of selling my rototiller & just letting the soil take a year off (which I say every year)... I think "no-till" might work better for this heavy clay

Oh ugh clay. You have my sympathies. You can really boost your yields by using no-till with mycorrhizae applications.

https://www.planetnatural.com/product-category/organic-gardening/soil-care/root-inoculants/

That should help -- in time -- with your soil too.

Oh ugh clay. You have my sympathies. You can really boost your yields by using no-till with mycorrhizae applications.

https://www.planetnatural.com/product-category/organic-gardening/soil-care/root-inoculants/

That should help -- in time -- with your soil too.

I will look into those thank you very much, I think they could certainlly help..

This is adobe clay, the stuff they make building from.. Some still standing in Albuquerque 400 years later...lol

The clay is so dense organic material can't breath & feed the bio..... Additionally it bakes in the sun & holds very little water, there is no room for air either-dense...

I added gypsum 5 years ago & it helped a bit but I have not let it rest much either.. In the little sections I did rest it, it made no difference.. THis was simple pasture before & the grass barely penetrated an inch or so down-roots can't breath..

I had a house years ago were they laid sod on the clay (this was even higher quality) & 5 years later the roots had no penetrated the clay.. I could pull it up like a carpet & w/ such shallow roots if you don't constantly water in summer it bakes, as if it is was sitting on asphalt... & I am not exaggerating, unfortunately..

I will look into those thank you very much, I think they could certainlly help..

This is adobe clay, the stuff they make building from.. Some still standing in Albuquerque 400 years later...lol

The clay is so dense organic material can't breath & feed the bio..... Additionally it bakes in the sun & holds very little water, there is no room for air either-dense...

I added gypsum 5 years ago & it helped a bit but I have not let it rest much either.. In the little sections I did rest it, it made no difference.. THis was simple pasture before & the grass barely penetrated an inch or so down-roots can't breath..

I had a house years ago were they laid sod on the clay (this was even higher quality) & 5 years later the roots had no penetrated the clay.. I could pull it up like a carpet & w/ such shallow roots if you don't constantly water in summer it bakes, as if it is was sitting on asphalt... & I am not exaggerating, unfortunately..

Yikes. Have you tried cover crops? Some will break up the soil with their roots and help aerate it. Then in spring you till them under to help add extra organic matter to the soil.

https://www.farmprogress.com/management/tillage-radish-cover-crop-tips-maximize-its-benefits

That is hot if the humidity is still high...... We are in the low 70's for over a week
Another day off;) High of 91 and 90 tomorrow...so...
They'll just do early release tomorrow...my guess....if it's still that hot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back