The Ides of March...

Ross Dolan

Contributor
...on this date in history, in 44BC, the republicans in the Roman Senate killed Julius Caesar.

Worth a mention.

augustus_statue.jpg

...on this date in history, in 44BC, the republicans in the Roman Senate killed Julius Caesar.

Worth a mention.

augustus_statue.jpg
Just an FYI Frank....that's a statue of Octavian...Not Julius Caesar. Also they weren't "Republicans" in the sense that they were a political party. They were Republicans in that they desired to protect the Oligarchic structure of the Roman Republic Senatorial Class. Historians refer to them as the "Optimates" but that's actually an anachronism as organized political parties, as we know them today, did not exist at that time in history.

Just an FYI Frank....that's a statue of Octavian...Not Julius Caesar. Also they weren't "Republicans" in the sense that they were a political party. They were Republicans in that they desired to protect the Oligarchic structure of the Roman Republic Senatorial Class. Historians refer to them as the "Optimates" but that's actually an anachronism as organized political parties, as we know them today, did not exist at that time in history.

YOU ARE WRONG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_of_Prima_Porta

why do you do this stupid shit Mott?

Fuck...I screwed up with Augustus.

But they were republicans (small "r'). They wanted the republic to continue.

Augustus had other ideas...and his prevailed.

Augustus was born Gaius Octavius Thurinus into an old and wealthy equestrian branch of the plebeian gens Octavia. His maternal great-uncle Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC, and Octavius was named in Caesar's will as his adopted son and heir.

sorry Mott

I fucked it all up

sorry Im such a bitch some times

Frank's a dumbass that, gladly, suffers from Alzheimers. That means his time is short.

you are correct

I have never studied this time in much detail

thank you for schooling me today

Julius was his father

I've read dozens and dozens of books on ancient Rome...both fiction and non-fiction. It is my favorite history area.

Most of us of Italian heritage like to think we are descendants of Roman citizens...but it is just as likely we come from slaves.

Whatever!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to go back and see each ancestor...to see the successes and failures of those who came before us.

I've read dozens and dozens of books on ancient Rome...both fiction and non-fiction. It is my favorite history area.

Most of us of Italian heritage like to think we are descendants of Roman citizens...but it is just as likely we come from slaves.

Whatever!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to go back and see each ancestor...to see the successes and failures of those who came before us.

it would

and your are right about its importance and impact on great thought

I am supposed to be of Irish blood

from the way of Vikings

might explain some of my marauding style

I have actually not studied much of that era either

sorry again Mott

sorry for Fucking up your thread with my stupid Frank

It is a good thread idea

you are correct

Julius was his father

Adopted father. Technically Octavian was Julius Caesars nephew by his elder sister but Caesar adopted him posthumously in his will after he was assassinated much to the complete consternation of Marcus Antonius who was, not without reason, expecting to be Caesars heir.

Augustus was born Gaius Octavius Thurinus into an old and wealthy equestrian branch of the plebeian gens Octavia. His maternal great-uncle Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC, and Octavius was named in Caesar's will as his adopted son and heir.

Here's the shit kicker Desh....Octavian was only 19 years old when he took the political mantle of Caesars heir. In many respects he was a greater political genius (and Caesar must have been aware of his talent for politics) than Julius Caesar was, though not a universal genius like Caesar who was incredibly gifted at everything he put his hand too. Octavian was certainly not a great general but his political skill exceeded his legendary Uncle and probably the best evidence of that is that he died in bed of old age. Few Roman Emperors ever did that.

you are correct

Julius was his father

and you're still wrong. casesar was octavians great uncle, then he formally adopted him as his heir later in life

sorry Mott

I fucked it all up

sorry Im such a bitch some times

you're always a bitch.

what just happened today, happens literally everyday. You are always wrong, always an idiot. Every single hour, every single day. You becoming briefly conscious of your ineptitude is just a brief anomaly that are due to arise out of an set of events given enough time.

Back