APP - The Patrician Thread

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
To promote harmony and friendship, as well as intellectual stimulation and discussion.

Topics will change every week. Any and all discussion of prior topics is forbidden. Like all APP threads, keep it clean and friendly. We all love one another here.

THE TOPIC FROM 2/28-3/08: Greatest 20th century musical influence.

Jimmy Paige/Led Zepplin are my choice.

blackflag and beefy are jpp dead :(

I think this topic is a bit of a tough one. It's hard to find singular origin points in music, every band we list will have countless profound influences before them. And even artists that appear around the same time can influence each other within their own respective scenes.

blackflag and beefy are jpp dead :(

I think this topic is a bit of a tough one. It's hard to find singular origin points in music, every band we list will have countless profound influences before them. And even artists that appear around the same time can influence each other within their own respective scenes.

Well they're welcome if/whenever they come around. And of course the topic is a difficult and ultimately subjective one. It's the nature of all patrician discussions.

I think you made an overall pretty good choice. Led Zeppelin pretty much influenced every rock band that has come around in the last 30 years in some capacity.

Ok I'm not too up on Jimmy Paige but I'll put forward that Les Zepplin has had a huge impact on rock music. Pretty much LZ and Black Sabbath are the points all rock and metal started from and then they got weird. But I'm weird too, so what the heck.

To promote harmony and friendship, as well as intellectual stimulation and discussion.

Topics will change every week. Any and all discussion of prior topics is forbidden. Like all APP threads, keep it clean and friendly. We all love one another here.

THE TOPIC FROM 2/28-3/08: Greatest 20th century musical influence.

Jimmy Paige/Led Zepplin are my choice.

Hard to disagree.

Failure to participate in the Patrician thread for 2 weeks will bar you from further discussions. If you'd like to be included, you may be reffered by anyone currently included. Personal biases are not cause for denial.

Greatest 20th century musical influence... African Americans. Yes, it appears to be a rather vague answer, but who can argue with it? Nearly every popular genre of music we listen to today, was influenced by the early African American traditional songs and their rhythmic work cadences. From early blues and jazz, to rock and roll, to modern rap and hip hop, all of it came as a result of this strong cultural influence, and any discussion about the 'greatest influence', would be incomplete without this acknowledgement.

That said, I know the thread seeks to find specific groups or artists, but it is nearly impossible to isolate one in particular. If I had to go with just one group or artist, I would have to say, The Rolling Stones. If for no other reason than their longevity, and having been a major influence for nearly half the century itself. If I had to pick one individual, it would be Elvis Presley. Almost any performing artist of today, will cite Elvis as a huge influence. Although Elvis is not remembered as a great musician, the 'sound' he brought to the forefront was the nucleus and basis for nearly everything we listen to today.

A couple of honorable mentions here, The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Nearly every band, including the aforementioned Rolling Stones, have tried to emulate The Beatles' formula for success. Nearly every songwriter (including Adam Duritz) has wanted to be Bob Dylan.

Greatest 20th century musical influence... African Americans. Yes, it appears to be a rather vague answer, but who can argue with it? Nearly every popular genre of music we listen to today, was influenced by the early African American traditional songs and their rhythmic work cadences. From early blues and jazz, to rock and roll, to modern rap and hip hop, all of it came as a result of this strong cultural influence, and any discussion about the 'greatest influence', would be incomplete without this acknowledgement.

That said, I know the thread seeks to find specific groups or artists, but it is nearly impossible to isolate one in particular. If I had to go with just one group or artist, I would have to say, The Rolling Stones. If for no other reason than their longevity, and having been a major influence for nearly half the century itself. If I had to pick one individual, it would be Elvis Presley. Almost any performing artist of today, will cite Elvis as a huge influence. Although Elvis is not remembered as a great musician, the 'sound' he brought to the forefront was the nucleus and basis for nearly everything we listen to today.

A couple of honorable mentions here, The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Nearly every band, including the aforementioned Rolling Stones, have tried to emulate The Beatles' formula for success. Nearly every songwriter (including Adam Duritz) has wanted to be Bob Dylan.

You make some valid points, some of which I considered myself.Led Zep was greatly influenced by Blues of course, but overall Billy is correct.

You make some valid points, some of which I considered myself.Led Zep was greatly influenced by Blues of course, but overall Billy is correct.

Well it'd be impossible to discount the influence of blues and blues artists, since rock n'roll were based primarily in the blues. I chose Zepplin/Paige because they have had more impact on modern music today than any other previous entry. Yes the Beatles were arguably bigger, but the style and direct influence of the Beatles has faded. You cannot find much music that does not emphasis the guitar the way that Paige pioneered today. Two massive sub-cultures, heavy metal and punk rock, formed primarily because of Led Zepplin.

I agree with Dixie, not something I say very often, there are many you could mention. If we are talking about heavy metal then you have to include Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Steppenwolf along with Led Zeppelin. However if you are going to take one person then I guess it must be Elvis as so many of the greats mention him as their primary influence. Lennon, McCartney, Clapton, Jagger, to name a few, all refer to him as the reason why they wanted to get into music.

Of course, if you are talking about singer songwriters then that has to be Mr. Robert Zimmerman aka Bob Dylan, he was the first and arguably the best.

Last edited:
There are so many genres, how can you limit it to just one person.

Elvis Presley inspired many individuals and groups, including mist of the English invaders.

Ray Charles and his introduction of Gospel style blues.

Both these guys influene is still affecting music.

I don't even like Elvis, but he was big.

Well it'd be impossible to discount the influence of blues and blues artists, since rock n'roll were based primarily in the blues. I chose Zepplin/Paige because they have had more impact on modern music today than any other previous entry. Yes the Beatles were arguably bigger, but the style and direct influence of the Beatles has faded. You cannot find much music that does not emphasis the guitar the way that Paige pioneered today. Two massive sub-cultures, heavy metal and punk rock, formed primarily because of Led Zepplin.

I saw Led Zeppelin at Leeds University in 1971 for the princely sum of 12s 6d or roughly one dollar, this was just prior to decimalisation, They didn't bother with safety shit in those days and quite a few people up the front were crushed and had to be taken out on stretchers. Jimmy Page loved using an astable oscillator and a violin bow on his Les Paul, but the noise I have to say was very nearly fucking unbearable.

Ok I'm not too up on Jimmy Paige but I'll put forward that Les Zepplin has had a huge impact on rock music. Pretty much LZ and Black Sabbath are the points all rock and metal started from and then they got weird. But I'm weird too, so what the heck.

LZ and Black Sabbath are indeed where metal started from, rock itself obviously predated them by a couple of decades. But it did sound way different back in the time of Buddy Holly than it did after them. Jimmi Hendrix, of course, was also really important in the development of the heavy sound that was for so long identified with rock. Before him, distortion was considered an undesirable side effect of a poor amplifier, and people payed a great deal of money for amplifiers that didn't distort. After him... well, it's only even been recently that rock bands have emerged (at least ones of any popularity) that have started to turn that dial down. A really heavy sound was practically synonymous with rock from the 70's at least into the mid-2000's. Now, of course, we have these pansy hipsters ruining the genre.

I agree with Dixie, not something I say very often, there are many you could mention. If we are talking about heavy metal then you have to include Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Steppenwolf along with Led Zeppelin. However if you are going to take one person then I guess it must be Elvis as so many of the greats mention him as their primary influence. Lennon, McCartney, Clapton, Jagger, to name a few, all refer to him as the reason why they wanted to get into music.

Of course, if you are talking about singer songwriters then that has to be Mr. Robert Zimmerman aka Bob Dylan, he was the first and arguably the best.

The first? Woody Guthrie seriously predates him. Bob Dylan himself sort of bandwagoned on the whole folk thing while it was big in the early 60's, he didn't originate it, he just happened to vastly outshine everyone else involved in the genre, with his great lyrics and, of course, the fact that he eventually abandoned the trend roughly at the time it started falling out of favor.

The Beatles have had more influence on pop and indie, genres which are far more important than heavy metal and punk rock. Punk rock has long been dead, heavy metal should've done itself a favor and died long ago.

The first? Woody Guthrie seriously predates him. Bob Dylan himself sort of bandwagoned on the whole folk thing while it was big in the early 60's, he didn't originate it, he just happened to vastly outshine everyone else involved in the genre, with his great lyrics and, of course, the fact that he eventually abandoned the trend roughly at the time it started falling out of favor.

Well if you are going to mention Woody Guthrie then what about Pete Seeger or Ewan McColl? Yes I know that Dylan wasn't the first but he is, for me anyway, the first of the great singer songwriters. I have seen him several times over the years and he was only shit once when he was going through a phase in the late '70s where he wanted to change the old songs seemingly just for the sake of it.

Back