APP - The Patrician Thread

To promote harmony and friendship, as well as intellectual stimulation and discussion.

Topics will change every week. Any and all discussion of prior topics is forbidden. Like all APP threads, keep it clean and friendly. We all love one another here.

THE TOPIC FROM 2/28-3/08: Greatest 20th century musical influence.

Jimmy Paige/Led Zepplin are my choice.
What's interesting about Led Zepplin and Rocks standard 4 piece rythem section is Bonham's playing of the drums. The drums, up to that point, were traditionally played to set the rythem and the beat. But Zepplin turned it into a lead instrument that actually drove the song and this, up to that time, had been completely unique in Rock n Roll. So much kudos to Jimmy Page and his vast talents on the strings but Bohnams approach to drums in rock music was completely unique and had a huge influence on Rock music. Led Zepplins classic "Rock n Roll" is the perfect example of the point I'm making. Without the drums this song just lays there....with Bonhams unique drumming taking the lead...it just kills!

What's interesting about Led Zepplin and Rocks standard 4 piece rythem section is Bonham's playing of the drums. The drums, up to that point, were traditionally played to set the rythem and the beat. But Zepplin turned it into a lead instrument that actually drove the song and this, up to that time, had been completely unique in Rock n Roll. So much kudos to Jimmy Page and his vast talents on the strings but Bohnams approach to drums in rock music was completely unique and had a huge influence on Rock music. Led Zepplins classic "Rock n Roll" is the perfect example of the point I'm making. Without the drums this song just lays there....with Bonhams unique drumming taking the lead...it just kills!

I would suggest that Ginger Baker was doing that before John Bonham.

Last edited:
The topic for this week will be determined by Grind (Dr. Krieger). Next week a new patrican will pick the topic.

Back