The problem with Thanksgiving.....LOL

Stone

Contributor
I love Thanksgiving,....and I love my family too. But why,..... OH WHY does my wife have to invite every 3rd cousin twice removed and their kids too of course on both sides of the family to thanksgiving AT OUR HOUSE? Why cant it just be us and our immediate family? But nooooooooooooooooooo,....that would be just too easy and enjoyable wouldnt it. :palm: At least she knows better these days and has long ago moved our thanksgiving celebration to the Saturday after as to not effect my football viewing pleasure anymore. :cool: Im gonna need a lot of alcohol to get thru Saturday though. That frikkin bird had best be GOOD! :palm:

I love Thanksgiving,....and I love my family too. But why,..... OH WHY does my wife have to invite every 3rd cousin twice removed and their kids too of course on both sides of the family to thanksgiving AT OUR HOUSE? Why cant it just be us and our immediate family? But nooooooooooooooooooo,....that would be just too easy and enjoyable wouldnt it. :palm: At least she knows better these days and has long ago moved our thanksgiving celebration to the Saturday after as to not effect my football viewing pleasure anymore. :cool: Im gonna need a lot of alcohol to get thru Saturday though. That frikkin bird had best be GOOD! :palm:

sounds to me that your problem with Thanksgiving is that you aren't thankful enough......

" Hey look! Theres 2nd Cousin Leo who I havent seen in 25 years! Damn,...thought he was still in prison! Time flies I guess.
Yep,...still a cigar smokin Bum hinting around about borrowing money for some new scheme! Thanks a million Honey for inviting him!" :good4u:

Oh. I thought that the problem was that we don't have four-chambered stomachs so we could eat more. :laugh:

Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday, bursting-at-the-seams house and all.

At least i'll get some pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce and green bean casserole otta the deal!

I have long wondered if the biggest problem is not that too often the food is poorly done.....I mean God Damn.....my grandma C was a terrible cook but she learned young to at least do pies and Thanksgiving well.......this is not too much to expect.

Thanksgiving now in no way resembles my Thanksgivings in the 1950s and 1960s.

Back then, it was a huge throng and a lot of laughs.
Now it's four adults and a dog.

I'm good either way.

I liked my aunts and uncles a lot,
but when they died, I didn't stay close to my cousins.

I never liked them nearly as much.
I'm not sure why.

Thanksgiving now in no way resembles my Thanksgivings in the 1950s and 1960s.

Back then, it was a huge throng and a lot of laughs.
Now it's four adults and a dog.

I'm good either way.

I liked my aunts and uncles a lot,
but when they died, I didn't stay close to my cousins.

I never liked them nearly as much.
I'm not sure why.

I'm envious. We lived far away from extended family so never had a holiday celebration with them. That must have been fun!

Our Thanksgiving day meal was a noon meal from 1974 to 1999. My mom cooked no fewer than 10 pies. They were kept in the unheated pantry (back then we had cold Thanksgivings) on a deep freeze and we could eat on them all weekend after Thursday. She’d make dressing in a dish pan with all kinds of other good stuff. We’d have from 10 to 25 people show up for lunch. Because it was also deer gun season in Oklahoma we were out of school the whole week. I deer hunted with my uncles all week, camping where ever they were camping. Absolutely the best time in my life.

Nowadays it’s the wife, the kid and the in-laws. I’m in Kentucky where it costs me over $400 to deer hunt. I have hunted here two different times in the past 20+ years but it isn’t the same. For me hunting is about harvesting [mostly] free food from the land around my house (my wife is eating some muscadine jelly for breakfast right now I made from fruit gathered in the woods around our place.), not about paying an exorbitant price and having to look for land to hunt on …. But I digress and run the risk of derailing this thread. Sorry about that.

I still love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday of the year. They’re not as fun as they used to be but I am definitely more thankful now than I was then.

Our Thanksgiving day meal was a noon meal from 1974 to 1999. My mom cooked no fewer than 10 pies. They were kept in the unheated pantry (back then we had cold Thanksgivings) on a deep freeze and we could eat on them all weekend after Thursday. She’d make dressing in a dish pan with all kinds of other good stuff. We’d have from 10 to 25 people show up for lunch. Because it was also deer gun season in Oklahoma we were out of school the whole week. I deer hunted with my uncles all week, camping where ever they were camping. Absolutely the best time in my life.

Nowadays it’s the wife, the kid and the in-laws. I’m in Kentucky where it costs me over $400 to deer hunt. I have hunted here two different times in the past 20+ years but it isn’t the same. For me hunting is about harvesting [mostly] free food from the land around my house (my wife is eating some muscadine jelly for breakfast right now I made from fruit gathered in the woods around our place.), not about paying an exorbitant price and having to look for land to hunt on …. But I digress and run the risk of derailing this thread. Sorry about that.

I still love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday of the year. They’re not as fun as they used to be but I am definitely more thankful now than I was then.

The dear who prance around the perimeter of Boston are, I believe, also in season here in Massachusetts,
but shooting one here in the neighborhood would get you in a lot of trouble!
You'll probably hit a couple of kids and a dog [even worse] in the process.

If anything gets shot in Boston,
it's two behind the ear from inches away, and then you're weighted down and tossed into the Mystic River.

And believe it or not, even that gets you in trouble if you're caught!

Also walking around with impunity are the wild turkeys.
Nobody wants to eat those skinny things when
one can get nice fat ones at the supermarket for less than two bucks per pound, I think.

Oh, you're not in Oklahoma anymore? $400 is pretty ridiculous. I guess that includes license, tag, and processing?

Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving, deer or not.

The dear who prance around the perimeter of Boston are, I believe, also in season here in Massachusetts,

it's two behind the ear from inches away, and then you're weighted down and tossed into the Mystic River.

one can get nice fat ones at the supermarket for less than two bucks per pound, I think.

It's firearms deer season here, too. Heard someone bag one (maybe) illegally last night, 20 minutes after sunset. The ravens and eagles are happy about the whole thing; they get to dine on the gut piles. The turkeys don't have to sweat it till next spring.

We have deer everywhere around here... people protect them fiercely.... as they do all our local wildlife....FB_IMG_1700324201183.jpg

Last edited:
Back