The problem with Thanksgiving.....LOL

Im VERY thankful. I just like to be thankful with a few less people around is all......:)

I know whatcha mean, Stone. BUT...this year it will only be three at my house for Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday by far).

My sister-in-law has, unfortunately, been moved to special care. She has advanced frontal lobe dementia...and just cannot operate outside of the facility. Her husband, BIL, broke his shoulder in a fall last week...and is not able to drive up from Princeton. We'll bring him a CARE package tomorrow. My other SIL will be here, but she is unmarried...and her special someone cannot make it.

I managed to get a smaller turkey (12 1/2 pounds) and we will have all the trimmings. I gotta be sure not to eat too much.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Stone...and everyone.

I'm gonna watch lots of football, but the NFL games for Thanksgiving day are not especially interesting for me.

I know whatcha mean, Stone. BUT...this year it will only be three at my house for Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday by far).

My sister-in-law has, unfortunately, been moved to special care. She has advanced frontal lobe dementia...and just cannot operate outside of the facility. Her husband, BIL, broke his shoulder in a fall last week...and is not able to drive up from Princeton. We'll bring him a CARE package tomorrow. My other SIL will be here, but she is unmarried...and her special someone cannot make it.

I managed to get a smaller turkey (12 1/2 pounds) and we will have all the trimmings. I gotta be sure not to eat too much.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Stone...and everyone.

I'm gonna watch lots of football, but the NFL games for Thanksgiving day are not especially interesting for me.

Our favorite holiday too , only 10 people mostly close family and two friends, those who have passed will be there in spirit

Oh, you're not in Oklahoma anymore? $400 is pretty ridiculous. I guess that includes license, tag, and processing?

Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving, deer or not.

Oh, you're not in Oklahoma anymore? $400 is pretty ridiculous. I guess that includes license, tag, and processing?

Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving, deer or not.

I still live in Oklahoma. I’m in Kentucky every Thanksgiving visiting the in-laws. Haven’t gut to hunt modern rifle season in over 20 years because of making this trip. It cost $410 just for license and tags the last time I hunted here a couple of years ago. I processed the deer myself much to my MIL’s dismay. :)

Anyway, it’s all good. Have a happy Thanksgiving yourself…and Mr. Owl too.

It's firearms deer season here, too. Heard someone bag one (maybe) illegally last night, 20 minutes after sunset. The ravens and eagles are happy about the whole thing; they get to dine on the gut piles. The turkeys don't have to sweat it till next spring.

Don’t know about MI but legal shooting hours in OK are from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. I’ve taken several deer in that last 30 minutes.

Don’t know about MI but legal shooting hours in OK are from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. I’ve taken several deer in that last 30 minutes.

I'll have to look it up, but had the impression that it began and ended at sunrise/sunset. Half an hour before or after are the most dangerous times to drive, for sure; the deer are more likely to be active then. It is legal here to shoot over bait too, which seems unsporting, but there you go. Human grocery stores, sporting goods stores, and even gas stations sell great sacks of corn, apples, beets, and pelleted food to attract them.

I still live in Oklahoma. I’m in Kentucky every Thanksgiving visiting the in-laws. Haven’t gut to hunt modern rifle season in over 20 years because of making this trip. It cost $410 just for license and tags the last time I hunted here a couple of years ago. I processed the deer myself much to my MIL’s dismay. :)

Anyway, it’s all good. Have a happy Thanksgiving yourself…and Mr. Owl too.

In the living room? OMG. :laugh:

I'll have to look it up, but had the impression that it began and ended at sunrise/sunset. Half an hour before or after are the most dangerous times to drive, for sure; the deer are more likely to be active then. It is legal here to shoot over bait too, which seems unsporting, but there you go. Human grocery stores, sporting goods stores, and even gas stations sell great sacks of corn, apples, beets, and pelleted food to attract them.

Yea…I don’t like the bait thing either. I’m not sure if it’s “legal” in OK or not but they sell plenty of “deer” corn at Walmart and Atwoods. Not hunting at all. But then I don’t like high fenced hunting ranches either. I’m old though.

Yea…I don’t like the bait thing either. I’m not sure if it’s “legal” in OK or not but they sell plenty of “deer” corn at Walmart and Atwoods. Not hunting at all. But then I don’t like high fenced hunting ranches either. I’m old though.

Something to be happy about. lol

The only time Mr. Owl ever went hunting, it was to one of those kind of "ranches." He went with a friend to go wild pig hunting. He took only his single-shot hand cannon that has such a recoil you can only shoot it a couple times before you hand bruises. He got one, up close and personal, with a single shot. His friend used a rifle with a scope from afar and also got one. I think the single-shot pistol was the more sporting of the two.

What should really be a thrill is hunting for humans who are also armed to shoot back...on their home turf.
As it happens, "thrill" turns out to be the wrong word. Never found the right one.

I don't care if people hunt for things that they're going to eat,
but I've often thought that if shooting animals
is unappealing to a questionable person such as myself,
how violent must be the people who enjoy doing it?

I'm honestly not preaching, however.
Just sharing my curiosity on the matter.

Oh, and

i05Nt3c.jpg

Well,....T minus 2.5 hours until the hordes arrive...LOL. The food should be very good though. Actually everything will be good. We'll have fun. Only problem I can see is one of the families has one of those real IN TO EVERYTHING a million miles an hour 5 year olds. Last time she was here old Stone had to have a sit down with her about how she should behave in someone elses home. My parents would have NEVER went for anything like that I can tell you that for sure. I would have gotten a good ass tanning if I acted that way at someone elses home.

Last edited:
I love Thanksgiving,....and I love my family too. But why,..... OH WHY does my wife have to invite every 3rd cousin twice removed and their kids too of course on both sides of the family to thanksgiving AT OUR HOUSE? Why cant it just be us and our immediate family? But nooooooooooooooooooo,....that would be just too easy and enjoyable wouldnt it. :palm: At least she knows better these days and has long ago moved our thanksgiving celebration to the Saturday after as to not effect my football viewing pleasure anymore. :cool: Im gonna need a lot of alcohol to get thru Saturday though. That frikkin bird had best be GOOD! :palm:

Stone's source of income is a family business, but he does not want that family invited to his house? He has no gratitude.

Stone's source of income is a family business, but he does not want that family invited to his house? He has no gratitude.

Walt seems to have a VERY unhealthy infatuation with Stone. He very likely reads every single post Stone makes regardless of which JPP forum it is made in. Stalkers like Walt are very odd people,...to say the least.

Anyone else think that somewhere Walt has a wall in his home with nothing but my avatar picture pasted on it over and over and over again? :laugh: Dutch too for that matter,....he's another world class weirdo stalker.

Back