The racist history of Chinese restaurants in the US

No...but they did teach us that most Chinese Restaurants don't sell authentic Chinese food but crap that suits more western tastes.

Just curious....how much are they asking for a 750 mil bottle? It sells for around $25 USD here.

I think it was around £25 which is way overpriced, considering that they sell Jim Beam for £18.

No...but they did teach us that most Chinese Restaurants don't sell authentic Chinese food but crap that suits more western tastes.

Just curious....how much are they asking for a 750 mil bottle? It sells for around $25 USD here.

Chinese restaurants in Bangkok would go out of business pretty quick if they served that crap.

I think it was around £25 which is way overpriced, considering that they sell Jim Beam for £18.
Yea 6£ is a pretty stiff import duty. But percentage wise about the same difference here over Jack Daniels or Jim Beam of which I much prefer Maker’s Mark too and am willing to pay a premium.

We have the same issue here with imported liquor being over priced. I can buy two bottles of Maker’s Mark for what one bottle of a decent single malt Scotch cost. A good Anejo Tequila will cost around $50 or more.

Chinese restaurants in Bangkok would go out of business pretty quick if they served that crap.

Yea that’s the funny thing about Thai restaurants here in the US. Most Mexican and Chinese restaurants sell Americanized menus but the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are authentic, except they may turn down the heat a little.

I hear that good Tex-Mex food is very hard to find in Europe? Is that true?

The Irish navvies built the railways, and canals before them, in this country,. Many of the tunnels and cuttings were hand dug especially in the early days.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/role-of-the-irish-navvy-in-britain-documented-1.1047351?mode=amp

I know. One of my ancestors worked on the Miami-Erie canal and help dig the Lake St. Mary’s reservoir feeder (it was the worlds largest man made reservoirs at the time.). Legend has it Irish worker were paid $1 a day and a bottle of whisky.

Yea that’s the funny thing about Thai restaurants here in the US. Most Mexican and Chinese restaurants sell Americanized menus but the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are authentic, except they may turn down the heat a little.

I hear that good Tex-Mex food is very hard to find in Europe? Is that true?

Good Tex-Mex, isn't that an oxymoron? Taco Bell is starting to spring up, indeed there is one down the road from me, for what it's worth.

Yea 6£ is a pretty stiff import duty. But percentage wise about the same difference here over Jack Daniels or Jim Beam of which I much prefer Maker’s Mark too and am willing to pay a premium.

We have the same issue here with imported liquor being over priced. I can buy two bottles of Maker’s Mark for what one bottle of a decent single malt Scotch cost. A good Anejo Tequila will cost around $50 or more.

Tax is steep on spirits, it's the nanny state.

Good Tex-Mex, isn't that an oxymoron? Taco Bell is starting to spring up, indeed there is one down the road from me, for what it's worth.
No...it most certainly is not. In fact it's outstanding. Try some carne asada or frijoles charro or a torta or home made tamales. Damned good eats. My favorite is beef enchiladas in red Guajillo chili sauce.

Please don't confuse Taco Death as even being remotely related to Tex-Mex/Southwestern cuisine or authentic Mexican food. Only White Castle and Chik Fil A beat Taco Death as worst fast food ever.

Just went to another supermarket and they had Jim Beam at 16 pounds, Jack Daniels at 21 pounds and Maker's Mark at 25 pounds. Work that one out!!

Just went to another supermarket and they had Jim Beam at 16 pounds, Jack Daniels at 21 pounds and Maker's Mark at 25 pounds. Work that one out!!
I can't. I think Maker's is better than both of those...considerably better than Jack which I never drink straight....but it's not that much better.

Back