The results of the Canadian election have been anulled

Most of the new NDP seats will, I imagine, be Quebec seats, because they cannibalized the separatists (who only have about 4 seats in parliament now). That means they didn't gain much in English Canada itself, while the Liberals just died, and are now worse off than the NDP was before the election.

Yes, which puts the NDP in a rather awkward situation. The Bloc was essentially a single-issue party, that being the secession of Quebec from the confederation. Now, having taken the place of a separatist party, the NDP will have to perform a balancing act of 1) sucking up to the separatists, 2) promoting a strong, united Canada, and 3) protecting their interests as a party. This will prove to be a very difficult task for Layton -- on the surface, it seems contradictory. However, it is not impossible. Quebec's politics are very complex, yet Layton is a skilled politician.

What the fuck is up with that district in Saskatchewan?

The NDP as a party has it's base in western populism, which allows them to succeed in places nobody would be caught dead voting Liberal in. A new left based on the NDP has a lot more ability to succeed nationally, especially if they can keep their position as the party of Quebec, something the PC's and Liberals before them won and lost. Even though I was a Liberal, it's somewhat good to see them on their way.

Oh wait, you mean the Liberal one. No fucking clue. The NDP has 30% of the vote province wide, no seats. Liberals have 9% and get that one weird seat.

The NDP as a party has it's base in western populism, which allows them to succeed in places nobody would be caught dead voting Liberal in. A new left based on the NDP has a lot more ability to succeed nationally, especially if they can keep their position as the party of Quebec, something the PC's and Liberals before them won and lost. Even though I was a Liberal, it's somewhat good to see them on their way.

That's how leftism grew in the US, as well. One reason why I hate populism.

Check out this babe that was elected in Quebec:

4727608.bin

Apparently she's been MIA since election night, though. 0_o

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110505/mtl_ndp_110505/20110505/?hub=MontrealHome

Quite a few university students and such that were just there basically to round out the ballot were elected in Quebec. When you win 5-10% of the vote in a riding for generations, it's difficult to recruit high-quality candidates (before this election, the NDP had essentially no presence in Quebec). Quebecers essentially just voted for them in an attempt to make Layton prime minister.

A 19-year old actually got elected.

And, unfortunately, Mulcair is already fucking up the NDP's shit by indulging in conspiracy theories about Bin Laden not actually being dead.

Back