The Revenant

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Anyone else intend on seeing this? I'm probably going to see it tonight. The frontiersman Hugh Glass story of being left for dead after a bear mauling in the Dakota's and his 200 mile journey to safety is as legendary a frontiersman story as Daniel Boones rescuing his daughters and Simon Kenton's running the gauntlet.

Though I'm sure the usual Hollywood liberties with the facts will occur my understanding is that it's very authentic and if any of you think the brutality of the story is Hollywood hyperbole it's probably closer to the truth to say they have downplayed it. What Hugh Glass survived would have killed most people. Yet he survived this and other adventures.

I'm glad to see this film made. I just wish they could do one of this quality about Simon Kenton or Tecumseh.

Anyone else intend on seeing this? I'm probably going to see it tonight. The frontiersman Hugh Glass story of being left for dead after a bear mauling in the Dakota's and his 200 mile journey to safety is as legendary a frontiersman story as Daniel Boones rescuing his daughters and Simon Kenton's running the gauntlet.

Though I'm sure the usual Hollywood liberties with the facts will occur my understanding is that it's very authentic and if any of you think the brutality of the story is Hollywood hyperbole it's probably closer to the truth to say they have downplayed it. What Hugh Glass survived would have killed most people. Yet he survived this and other adventures.

I'm glad to see this film made. I just wish they could do one of this quality about Simon Kenton or Tecumseh.

Can't help thinking that it will win shitloads of Oscars whilst the Big Short is a better and more deserving film.

Lots and lots of very graphic violence and gore. The bear attack scene was phenomenal and it went on and on and just when you think it's over it starts up again.
Leonardo was predictably brilliant but because Glass lost his voice in the attack he grunts through much of the film. The antagonist was a deplorable easy to hate character equally brilliantly played.
A good yarn well researched and spectacularly photographed, but be prepared for much violence and graphic gore.
A bit long but with a satisfying end scene that is worth the wait.

Lots and lots of very graphic violence and gore. The bear attack scene was phenomenal and it went on and on and just when you think it's over it starts up again.
Leonardo was predictably brilliant but because Glass lost his voice in the attack he grunts through much of the film. The antagonist was a deplorable easy to hate character equally brilliantly played.
A good yarn well researched and spectacularly photographed, but be prepared for much violence and graphic gore.
A bit long but with a satisfying end scene that is worth the wait.
A little more detail than I wanted however I already knew the story of Hugh Glass. It may have been a lot of violence and gore but, as I said, compared to the reality of the frontier era, I'm sure they down played it. If you've ever studied frontier history it was pretty brutal.

When he was a younger man Hugh Glass and a partner were captured on the Missouri by a band of Pawnee. They made a morning star out of Hugh's partner. That is they hung him up by his arms and used little blow guns to blow pine splinters into his body. When his body was covered with splinters they lit him on fire and burned him to death. They were going to make a morning star out of Hugh Glass too but he calmly gave a packet of vermillion to the Pawnee chief. The chief was so impressed at his calm demeanor and the present that he adopted Hugh into the Pawnee tribe. If you notice in the movie when Hugh meets a band of Pawnee they are on a friendly basis. That was the reason why. He spent several years with the Pawnee as an adopted member of the tribe.

It's my understanding in the movie that Glass kills Fitzgerald. That didn't actually happen. Glass hunted down both Jim Bridger and Fitzgerald. He found Bridger first and forgave him. He finally found Fitzgerald but Fitzgerald had enlisted in the army. If Glass had killed Fitzgerald the army would have hanged him so he didn't kill him. So that part of the movie is fiction.

Last edited:
18 Hours......saw it last night....great production of the facts as attested to by the men THAT WERE THERE......

I don't love survival movies, but if you throw in a cast that includes Liam Neeson (The Grey) or Tom Hardy, in this case, then I'm likely to see it.

No I haven't but I read quite a few reviews of both. I am not a great fan of graphic violence, I am interested in more cerebral films.
I can assure you that the violence in the Revenant is brutal and graphic but it is not gratuitous. That's how life on the frontier was and, as I said, they probably down played just exactly how violent it actually was. Though I'll have to see it to be sure.

I don't love survival movies, but if you throw in a cast that includes Liam Neeson (The Grey) or Tom Hardy, in this case, then I'm likely to see it.
I'm a big fan of American frontier history. If it's accurate and authentic I'll be pleased. I've been trying to get Billy to read Allen Eckert's "The Winning of America Series" for quite some time. They are incredible reads. I'm sure you'd enjoy them too though you're probably not as familiar with the geography as Billy is.

Very well done. Visually stunning, story pleasant, acting good (especially the bear).
Had a little problem with the astonishing recovery of Leo's Ankle. But glad I saw it.
This is an in the theater kind of movie. But I'm a senior now so the price was only obscene as opposed to criminal.

Ripoff?
Hardly. Both films were based on the real life true story of Hugh Glass.
Revenant being the more historically accurate of the two. The Harris movie was a box office flop.
Poor BORBO

I have seen Man in the Wilderness a couple of times and it is a terrific film. It is pretty obvious that you haven't otherwise you wouldn't be such an insufferable dick, well actually you probably would as that's your nature. I mean ffs, what does the box office have to do with anything anyway, there are many fine films that were financial flops, so what?

303C5D0300000578-3402938-image-m-7_1452979544963.jpg

Both movies were inspired by the real-life story of 19th Century trapper and frontiersman Hugh Glass. Pictured: A scene from Harris's movie Man In The Wilderness

Last edited:
hugh-glass-cropped-xlarge.jpg

HUGH GLASS​

As inspiring as the tale may be, a little research quickly reveals that not many details of the story come from factual accounts. Much of the story is legend, elaborated on by many re-tellings through story and poem over the many years. To add to that, most details and the chronology seen in the movie are pure invention .

An inspirational dramatized story telling. Not history as some wish to believe.

Back