The Revenant

Well I went and saw it last night. Fantastic. Best frontier movie since Jeremiah Johnson. The cinematography is nothing short of spectacular not to mention the authenticity on the movie. It amazed me how it held the audience rapt attention throughout the movie.

I did have some criticisms though. The winter back drop made no sense, though it gave the movie a stark beauty it would not have otherwise had, as beaver trappers always headed down river after winter when the beavers molt and thus their pelts were worthless. Same with the central event of the story. The bear attack. A sow bear likely would have still been in her den with her cubs at the season presented in the movie and the ending, which I won't describe, made no sense at all.

On the whole though it blows any recent frontier or western movies made recently out of the water. Far better than Dances with Wolves.

When Jeremiah Johnson comes on, I always try to make time to see it.

The two scenes that really make the movie, is the one where Bear Claw meets up with Jeremiah, share a rabbit, and it looks like Bear Claw sheds a tear, thinking about how far Jeremiah has come and when Paints-His-Shirt-Red signals that the feud is over.

The funniest part is when Bear Claw leads the "Griz" back to his cabin and then dives out the window. :D

I think so and I also understand that what works for a novel or a story doesn't always work when making a movie so a large amount of poetic license is expected. Still and all, the general theme of the incredible ordeal of this mans survival, which is largely true and the breath taking cinematography, not to mention that DiCaprio and Hardy's acting is brilliant. I felt kinda bad for DiCaprio. He must have went through physical hell filming this. Though nothing compared to what Hugh Glass actually survived.

If you're serious into American history and you did into some of the great American historians who preserved a great reservoir of actual frontier source material with his interviews of the actual people who were involved in these events you just run across so many frontier survival stories like these that are just amazing examples of the human will and determination to survive extreme adversity.

Glass was aided by friendly Native Americans who sewed a bear hide to his back to cover the exposed wounds and provided him with food and weapons.

In the film Glass had a grown half native American son when he was mauled by the bear and Fitzgerald killed that son before leaving Glass for dead. Revenge for his son's murder was depicted as a motivator for Glass to survive and kill Fitzgerald.
Pure 100% fiction Ma'am.

How odd, Bucky, that you're shying away from your assertion that he never had a wife.
You should check your facts, next time.

It seems this is uncertain and may be just part of the lore that grew up around him.

Just reporting what was available, seeing as how Bucky only posted his assumption with nothing to support it.

But it seems more likely that he did, seeing as how a lot of the mountain men were in good standings with some of the tribes and it's been documented that some of them did marry into a tribe.

Just reporting what was available, seeing as how Bucky only posted his assumption with nothing to support it.

But it seems more likely that he did, seeing as how a lot of the mountain men were in good standings with some of the tribes and it's been documented that some of them did marry into a tribe.

Four histories and only one mention.
Given the nature of his job, marriage is a stretch.

How odd, Bucky, that you're shying away from your assertion that he never had a wife.
You should check your facts, next time.

Historical accounts show that at the point in time that the movie depicts Glass had never married and had no children, counter to what the film's plot depicted.
The point in time referencing the term "never" was at and around the time of bear mauling incident, not perpetuity.
That's what we were discussing Ma'am, the movie and how it conflicted with the reality, at that time.

Have I mentioned lately that you are absolutely retarded, Ma'am.

Last edited:
Historical accounts show that at the point in time that the movie depicts Glass had never married and had no children, counter to what the film's plot depicted.
The point in time referencing the term "never" was at and around the time of bear mauling incident, not perpetuity.
That's what we were discussing Ma'am, the movie and how it conflicted with the reality, at that time.

Have I mentioned lately that you are absolutely retarded, Ma'am.

OH; so when Bucky realizes that he failed miserably, at what he presented, he wants to move the goal posts and now infer that he meant for that particular time period. :palm:

[h=1]Meet the man behind Leonardo DiCaprio's 'Revenant' bear attack[/h]
1297796807502_ORIGINAL.jpg

Vancouver stuntman Glenn Ennis in the blue suit that he wore to film his bear attack scene in the award winning movie The Revenant.

Read more: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/22/meet-the-man-behind-leonardo-dicaprios-revenant-bear-attack

Back