The Secret to Better Baked Potatoes? Cook Them Like the British Do.

Having Irish roots myself, I cringe when I see the Irish get on their knees and begin sucking the appendages of their English Overlords. (By the Grace of St. Patrick, my Grandmother isn't here to witness this)

:( I am a victim of the 6 minute microwave potato.
(Don't tell Havana, but I'm going to try out that 2 hour potato in the oven idea) sshhhh
I'm so sorry, Jack....your life would change, though, you know....what's time?;)

I'm so sorry, Jack....your life would change, though, you know....what's time?;)

I have a potato in the Pantry with a '2-hour cook time' already planned. (again, don't mention this to Havana. I hate when he gets the Big Head)

I have a potato in the Pantry with a '2-hour cook time' already planned. (again, don't mention this to Havana. I hate when he gets the Big Head)
Not a word....
(Just do it...and then load it up;)

Stay tuned...I'm going to share my recipe for homemade tater tots/pear gratin....Yummmmmo:)

Homemade TOTS:)

2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
@1 tablespoon AP flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Fresh oregano/dill/parsley..or dried, if you don't have it fresh...
Oil to fry, deep or skillet....

Proceed... parboil potatoes about 6-7 minutes, drain and cool.
Use a hand grater to finely shred potatoes. Drain potatoes completely using cheesecloth or dish towel...
In a big bowl add in flour, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. Form your tots;)
Deep fry no more than 7 or 8 at a time....until golden % crispy...
Drain....enjoy...or freeze.
You can make small patties if you like to use in the TOPSpecial tot/pear gratin recipe, soon to follow;)

She's right, most Americans haven't a clue when it comes to baked spuds.

https://www.thekitchn.com/jacket-potato-22943799?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I will try it @ that temp & twice as long....

I get my skins crispy by rubbing them down w/ butter first.... Cross or poke I doubt will make a difference but I shall try it.

I have had them in longer, as when cooking a turkey but I have done the butter & seasoning & then put aluminum foil around them, leaving a gap @ the top to breath.... Skin is firm, not quite as crispy but the spud is firm & melts in your "bloody" mouth.:)

Many Americans use that foil for various things on the grill such as corn on the cob, white onion(seasoned) etc

Who would cook a baked potato in a microwave? (the same people who mash potatoes in a food processor/blender...lol) Criminal!
(This was such a fun thread;-) https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-corn-in-a-microwave&highlight=corn+microwave)

I have done it many times. Usually white, yukon, red~spring potatoes w/ thin skins.. Works well w/ sweet potatoes as well as "yams" or what we call yams in the USA, the orange colored sweet potatoes but granted they are not as good, but then you got it in five mins, not an hour & heating up the house.. I did a oriental jewel a few days ago-very sweet, prob the sweetest you can find, developed in Japan..

Stick a fork, or a skewer, in them.

I actually challenged that "fable" about forking them first.....

About 50 mins into the 60 mins I took a peek & saw one out of a dozen explode before my eyes out the bottom onto the hot burner....

Lesson learned...:laugh::laugh:

Homemade TOTS:)

2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
@1 tablespoon AP flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Fresh oregano/dill/parsley..or dried, if you don't have it fresh...
Oil to fry, deep or skillet....

Proceed... parboil potatoes about 6-7 minutes, drain and cool.
Use a hand grater to finely shred potatoes. Drain potatoes completely using cheesecloth or dish towel...
In a big bowl add in flour, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. Form your tots;)
Deep fry no more than 7 or 8 at a time....until golden % crispy...
Drain....enjoy...or freeze.
You can make small patties if you like to use in the TOPSpecial tot/pear gratin recipe, soon to follow;)

That sounds awesome but a lot of work... I usually just buy a bag of frozen spread onion powder & garlic powder on them & then bake it whatever the time is + 5-7 mins so they are extra crispy, like a fine hashbrown on the outside-moist inside-don't even need catsup or additional salt...... Lazy man's cave hand book, page 17 just below the beer & BBQ sauce stain.........;)

Prb not as good or savory as those but would love to try them one day.....

That sounds awesome but a lot of work... I usually just buy a bag of frozen spread onion powder & garlic powder on them & then bake it whatever the time is + 5-7 mins so they are extra crispy, like a fine hashbrown on the outside-moist inside-don't even need catsup or additional salt...... Lazy man's cave hand book, page 17 just below the beer & BBQ sauce stain.........;)

She doesn't do all that!
I read the best baked potatoes are coated with bacon grease before cooking!
I'm on Keto,so no potatoes for me.

Yet our cuisine is far more famous and superior to yours.

French fries.... Yeah... How many "chips" are sold around the world compared to American French fries?

Nobody cares about a baked potato....

That's why Americans are so fat.

Yet our cuisine is far more famous and superior to yours.

French fries.... Yeah... How many "chips" are sold around the world compared to American French fries?

Nobody cares about a baked potato....

Everyone doesn't eat all their meals at In and Out Burger

It's not That much work;) The frozen ones are fine, especially with the your additions...and there are several good brands available...
But, I do love to cook, don't use many premade items, and this tot recipe was posted for a special reason..
To use in a special gratin recipe...to follow;) Soon;) I think we have that cookbook somewhere...it's fun!

Back