The world's greatest authority.

Grugore

Verified User
That would be me. Not on everything. But ask me anything about wilderness survival and I can probably answer it. Why is this important? Because you will probably need it to survive someday. No joke. One day, the Earth will experience solar storms that will fry all electronics. Think of what that would do to a major city. No food deliveries. No sewage or water. And this would be nationwide, maybe even worldwide. It's not a question of if. It's a question of when. It will happen eventually. So ask me anything. Your life, and the lives of your loved ones might depend on it.

EDIT: PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC. THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN. IT IS ABOUT WHAT TO DO IF OR WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT WILDERNESS SURVIVAL, PLEASE SHUT YOUR IGNORANT MOUTH.

Last edited:
That would be me. Not on everything. But ask me anything about wilderness survival and I can probably answer it. Why is this important? Because you will probably need it to survive someday. No joke. One day, the Earth will experience solar storms that will fry all electronics. Think of what that would do to a major city. No food deliveries. No sewage or water. And this would be nationwide, maybe even worldwide. It's not a question of if. It's a question of when. It will happen eventually. So ask me anything. Your life, and the lives of your loved ones might depend on it.

Crackpot stuff.........

I used to work with a this guy before I retired in 2001.

On New Year's Eve, 1999, a bunch of folks were getting ready to celebrate the new millennium,
even though, in reality, it wasn't coming for another year. (2000 was actually the last year of the 20th Century.)

Bob wasn't going out to any New Year's Eve dinner dance, that night.
No, he was stuffing his entire family into the Y2K shelter he had built in preparation for the 2000 apocalypse.

As of the time I retired a few weeks after 9/11, Bob was still nowhere to be seen.
As far as I know, he may still be in that Y2K shelter.

Grugore isn't the only total crackpot floating around.
Tell me, Grugore, when did you finally emerge from YOUR Y2K shelter?

I used to work with a this guy before I retired in 2001.

On New Year's Eve, 1999, a bunch of folks were getting ready to celebrate the new millennium,
even though, in reality, it wasn't coming for another year. (2000 was actually the last year of the 20th Century.)

Bob wasn't going out to any New Year's Eve dinner dance, that night.
No, he was stuffing his entire family into the Y2K shelter he had built in preparation for the 2000 apocalypse.

As of the time I retired a few weeks after 9/11, Bob was still nowhere to be seen.
As far as I know, he may still be in that Y2K shelter.

Grugore isn't the only total crackpot floating around.
Tell me, Grugore, when did you finally emerge from YOUR Y2K shelter?

Such a storm as I described has already happened. Telegraphs around the world were shorted out. Scientists say that we are overdue for another one. Yes. Solar storms happen a lot. But not of this magnitude. They are pretty rare. But they have happened, and they will happen. Having said that, this is not a debate about what might happen. It's about what to do when it does happen. Try to stay on topic.

What's the best weapon to have with you when a wild boar is facing you?

What's the best weapon to have with you when a wild boar is facing you?

Depends. Personally, I would want a 12 foot boar spear. They also work well on grizzly bears. The trick is having enough balls to stand your ground until they impale themselves, then be fast enough to get out of the way. The cross brace will stop them in their tracks, assuming the spear doesn't snap.

Such a storm as I described has already happened. Telegraphs around the world were shorted out. Scientists say that we are overdue for another one. Yes. Solar storms happen a lot. But not of this magnitude. They are pretty rare. But they have happened, and they will happen. Having said that, this is not a debate about what might happen. It's about what to do when it does happen. Try to stay on topic.

I've got a good buddy who claims HE is the world's foremost authority on how to survive anything.

He has several trailers already buried and stocked.

My question to him is: Are you gonna shoot me and my wife when we come begging to come in?

Mostly he answers in variations of "You goddam right I am"...although since we are friends and no shit is hitting the fan right now...he is usually nice about it.

I have electricity as long as the gas lines get to my 20,000 KW generator.
Cable could be a problem, though.
Better to perish than not have cable, so I'll take things as they come.

It's better just to use streaming services, then cable. We ditched it several years back. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS all access, Playstation Network, etc. The good part is you can watch stuff on demand.

Uhh...cable would be useless. So would the generator. Anything that uses silocone chips would be fried.

It's better just to use streaming services, then cable. We ditched it several years back. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS all access, Playstation Network, etc. The good part is you can watch stuff on demand.

Again. They would be useless after a massive solar flare.

you are insane and hate science and prefer myths over it

why would ANYONE listen to YOU

I've got Netfix streaming, not the other ones, through my cable company.
Can you get HBO and Showtime over streaming?

The only thing I like better about Netflix compared to cable is that entire seasons drop at once.
I just watched the whole final season of House of Cards in one night.

Overall, though, cable with on demand and DVR service seems more convenient to use for me.
Three big flat screens with premium channels + Netflix,
five intercom / landline phones,
and three laptops
cost me $248 per month.

PPV boxing matches each add $85 on the average, so I only buy a couple of those each year..

I've got a good buddy who claims HE is the world's foremost authority on how to survive anything.

He has several trailers already buried and stocked.

My question to him is: Are you gonna shoot me and my wife when we come begging to come in?

Mostly he answers in variations of "You goddam right I am"...although since we are friends and no shit is hitting the fan right now...he is usually nice about it.

pick better friends

you are insane and hate science and prefer myths over it

why would ANYONE listen to YOU

As I have already mentioned, such a solar flare has already happened. It will happen again. That is a scientific certainty. When it does anything using integrated circuits will be a bunch of electronic junk due to the massive electromagnetic pulse. This is all based on science.

Uhh...cable would be useless. So would the generator. Anything that uses silocone chips would be fried.

Isn't being dead better than living like a fucking caveman, Grugore?

I couldn't be bothered, at my age, to put up with that shit.

It's the pleasant amenities that make life tolerable.

And Grugore....this life is it.

I've got Netfix streaming, not the other ones, through my cable company.
Can you get HBO and Showtime over streaming?

The only thing I like better about Netflix compared to cable is that entire seasons drop at once.
I just watched the whole final season of House of Cards in one night.

Overall, though, cable with on demand and DVR service seems more convenient to use for me.
Three big flat screens with premium channels + Netflix,
five intercom / landline phones,
and three laptops
cost me $248 per month.

PPV boxing matches each add $85 on the average, so I only buy a couple of those each year..

I think Amazon, and a few others have live streaming HBO. You have a roku system, and you can stream most things. The subscriptions are cheaper then cable.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Roku My TV has a built in system that streams the stuff. Each service is maybe 10 dollars a month.

Isn't being dead better than living like a fucking caveman, Grugore?

I couldn't be bothered, at my age, to put up with that shit.

It's the pleasant amenities that make life tolerable.

And Grugore....this life is it.

Our ancestors got along just fine without electricity. Besides, when the food runs out, you either adapt or die.

Back