Things I've learned

Unique things about Hawaii:

-Spam, the meat, is huge. Its everywhere.

-There are no pork sandwiches, only "pig" sandwiches

-No shoes in a home, ever

-Shower at night before bed, rather than in the morning

-Not recycling is a cardinal sin

-Nobody gives a shit what you drive, at all

-UH football is more important than anything that has ever existed in the universe

-There can never be enough ABC stores

-Hana Bay Rum supercedes all other rums

-Hawaiian Shirts are called "Aloha Shirts"

-Howzit.

-The shaka replaces the wave

-Eddia Aikau is God

Fuck you.

I'm so jealous.

ABC stores - had to laugh my guts out once on IRC when an Australian bloke said the first time he went to Honolulu he said he marked out where the hotel was because there was a store called "ABC" right next door so he wouldn't get lost - he was of course making a joke at his own expense but it struck me as very humorous.

ABC stores - had to laugh my guts out once on IRC when an Australian bloke said the first time he went to Honolulu he said he marked out where the hotel was because there was a store called "ABC" right next door so he wouldn't get lost - he was of course making a joke at his own expense but it struck me as very humorous.

Literally, you can see other ABC stores from the inside of an ABC store. There's 2 of them no more than 100 feet apart in one part of Waikiki.

Literally, you can see other ABC stores from the inside of an ABC store. There's 2 of them no more than 100 feet apart in one part of Waikiki.

Yep, that's what made it so funny. They're very convenient though (and I didn't get lost in Honolulu I just asked for directions, people are very helpful). Funny thing did happen to me though. I was walking back to the hotel from dinner one night with my then wife and behind me I heard this booming voice in an Australian accent, "isn't it funny who you come across in Hawaii?" I turned around, it was one of the recruits I used to teach, graduated a few weeks earlier and had come to Honolulu for leave.

I was really glad I was walking along the street with my wife and not some hooker :clink:

Back