This engine sounds too good to be true!

cancel2 2022

Canceled
This Pistonless, 25,000rpm-Capable Engine Shows Combustion Could Have A Future
The Omega 1 is a rotary engine with no seals, barely any moving parts, and almost no losses in the combustion cycle

This Pistonless, 25,000rpm-Capable Engine Shows Combustion Could Have A Future - News
As much as we love piston engines, they’re horribly inefficient. You lose stacks of energy through heat, friction and more, wasting a great deal of potential from that exploding fuel. One new engine design, however, aims to eliminate nearly all the losses associated with internal combustion.

It’s the ‘Omega 1’ from a company called Astron Aerospace. Invented by Matthew Riley, it’s a rotary engine, but it operates very differently from a Wankel. For one thing, there are no apex seals. Or many seals at all for that matter.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...capable-engine-shows-ice-could-have-a-future/

Last edited:
The Omega 1 is a rotary engine with no seals, barely any moving parts, and almost no losses in the combustion cycle

This Pistonless, 25,000rpm-Capable Engine Shows Combustion Could Have A Future - News
As much as we love piston engines, they’re horribly inefficient. You lose stacks of energy through heat, friction and more, wasting a great deal of potential from that exploding fuel. One new engine design, however, aims to eliminate nearly all the losses associated with internal combustion.

It’s the ‘Omega 1’ from a company called Astron Aerospace. Invented by Matthew Riley, it’s a rotary engine, but it operates very differently from a Wankel. For one thing, there are no apex seals. Or many seals at all for that matter.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...capable-engine-shows-ice-could-have-a-future/

My pastor taught me how to listen to an engine. It matters not if you're deaf. You can feel the vibration.

What about that other rotary engine, didn't you post that?

Gah! where are they?
The "better than Wankel" one? If not, I may have to search.

Here it is, liquidpiston rotary
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a15233/liquidpiston-darpa-contract/

Last edited:
I would appreciate your opinion in this engine.

I see the intake pressure is "supercharged" to 200-300 PSI. while normal street superchargers run at about 15 PSI. You'll need a very hi-output fuel pump if it doesn't create that much pressure itself.
I also noticed it says "Very tight tolerances are key..." I know CNCs are capable of holding tenths (.0001) pretty consistently (monitoring is the key here because of tool wear), but is that close enough to maintain the tolerances required? I wonder what materials are used for the gears and the rotors, they better be hard if it revs to 25,000 RPM (even electric motors don't often rev that high).

That said (and I do have some other questions), it looks like an interesting and very complicated (by machining standards) design, but the HP to weight, super high RPM and size are incredible. Being able to stack them for more power is also interesting. The video is informative, but at the end, there isn't much on the running of the engine.

The uses for it are vast and the firing at “every five, 10, 50 rotations or whatever is required” at cruising speed is extremely efficient. I think it's cool as hell. Keep me updated :)

I see the intake pressure is "supercharged" to 200-300 PSI. while normal street superchargers run at about 15 PSI. You'll need a very hi-output fuel pump if it doesn't create that much pressure itself.
I also noticed it says "Very tight tolerances are key..." I know CNCs are capable of holding tenths (.0001) pretty consistently (monitoring is the key here because of tool wear), but is that close enough to maintain the tolerances required? I wonder what materials are used for the gears and the rotors, they better be hard if it revs to 25,000 RPM (even electric motors don't often rev that high).

That said (and I do have some other questions), it looks like an interesting and very complicated (by machining standards) design, but the HP to weight, super high RPM and size are incredible. Being able to stack them for more power is also interesting. The video is informative, but at the end, there isn't much on the running of the engine.

The uses for it are vast and the firing at “every five, 10, 50 rotations or whatever is required” at cruising speed is extremely efficient. I think it's cool as hell. Keep me updated :)

No problem, I wondered about the tolerances as well. As for the materials used they'd have to be pretty special as well. Apparently titanium is used for the aero engine version with ceramic bearings. Although I'm not sure why the engine has to driven so hard anyway, surely it would work well enough running at 6000rpm?

https://astronaerospace.com/

Last edited:
No problem, I wondered about the tolerances as well. As for the materials used they'd have to be pretty special as well. Apparently titanium is used for the aero engine version with ceramic bearings. Although I'm not sure why the engine has to driven so hard anyway, surely it would work well enough running at 6000rpm?

https://astronaerospace.com/

I did notice the ceramic bearings. I know ceramic tooling is now being used in machining (carbide has been, and still is used), but I have a very limited experience using them and don't know if or how they are sharpened, or the length of time before they wear. Like carbide, the do have a tendency to break because they are so hard and brittle.
Yes, the high RPMs are incredible, but like you said, does it need to run that high? A very interesting design, I hope it's adapted.

There is a series of videos on YouTube that evaluated the design, and they seemed to be skeptical of the developers.

Here's the first of three:

Back