This engine sounds too good to be true!

This Pistonless, 25,000rpm-Capable Engine Shows Combustion Could Have A Future
The Omega 1 is a rotary engine with no seals, barely any moving parts, and almost no losses in the combustion cycle

This Pistonless, 25,000rpm-Capable Engine Shows Combustion Could Have A Future - News
As much as we love piston engines, they’re horribly inefficient. You lose stacks of energy through heat, friction and more, wasting a great deal of potential from that exploding fuel. One new engine design, however, aims to eliminate nearly all the losses associated with internal combustion.

It’s the ‘Omega 1’ from a company called Astron Aerospace. Invented by Matthew Riley, it’s a rotary engine, but it operates very differently from a Wankel. For one thing, there are no apex seals. Or many seals at all for that matter.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...capable-engine-shows-ice-could-have-a-future/

Remember the Mazda Rotary engines? Amazing what power that tiny little engine put out. Great gas mileage to but man did they use up lubricant oil.

It’s great that they are advancing the technology.

I did notice the ceramic bearings. I know ceramic tooling is now being used in machining (carbide has been, and still is used), but I have a very limited experience using them and don't know if or how they are sharpened, or the length of time before they wear. Like carbide, the do have a tendency to break because they are so hard and brittle.
Yes, the high RPMs are incredible, but like you said, does it need to run that high? A very interesting design, I hope it's adapted.
I spent a couple of years working in OSU’s materials science and engineering department and that stuff is absolutely fascinating.

If I could do my college education all over again, knowing what I know now and free from my fathers influence, I would have majored in bioengineering with an emphasis on materials engineering.

I’d have invented the best material ever for Boob Jobs!!!

I drove nothing but V8's all my life- since High School till about a year ago.

My Mom got too old to drive a year ago and gifted me her 2010 Import! It has a 4 cylinder and only 32,000 miles. It gets as much as 42 miles to the gallon and still looks brand new.

All I have ever done is change the oil and put some new tires on it.

I love it! I'll probably drive it until the wheels fall off!

This engine sounds too good to be true? Really?

Speaking of sound.............

I bet it don't sound like a V8!

I bet it sounds more like a rice-burning POS! LOL!

I spent a couple of years working in OSU’s materials science and engineering department and that stuff is absolutely fascinating.

If I could do my college education all over again, knowing what I know now and free from my fathers influence, I would have majored in bioengineering with an emphasis on materials engineering.

I’d have invented the best material ever for Boob Jobs!!!

I've spent most of my machining career on manual machinery making molds, prototypes or repairs. It wasn't until late that I dabbled into CNCs.

Once I became a manager and had to review new prints and just make prototypes, I started getting burnt out because there's so much to know about machining now.
We got a magazine every month called Modern Machinist, the advancements being made in machining tech are mind boggling compared to when I started my career.
Tooling has become throwaway inserts, very few make or sharpen their tooling anymore. It's becoming a lost art.

Would I do it again? I think I would. But instead of just taking the night classes for trig and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, I might have gone for CNC programing.

I've spent most of my machining career on manual machinery making molds, prototypes or repairs. It wasn't until late that I dabbled into CNCs.

Once I became a manager and had to review new prints and just make prototypes, I started getting burnt out because there's so much to know about machining now.
We got a magazine every month called Modern Machinist, the advancements being made in machining tech are mind boggling compared to when I started my career.
Tooling has become throwaway inserts, very few make or sharpen their tooling anymore. It's becoming a lost art.

Would I do it again? I think I would. But instead of just taking the night classes for trig and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, I might have gone for CNC programing.

My late brother in-law did that. He learned the traditional methods in high school and as an apprentice. Then he attended the local JUCO and studied CNC.

Made a shit ton of money until his alcoholism entered its acute stage. Then he lost everything including his life. It’s the saddest thing I’ve experienced in my life. I was closer to him than my actual brother.

Time to get away from fossil fuels and combustion engines of any kind.

Hopefully in 30 to 50 years they will be history.

Back