Toba volcanic super-eruption

My bet is the Left--you included--will simply change what 'shiny object' you are looking at. Climate change will disappear as a topic and super volcano eruptions and the end of the world from them will become the new one.

The US Geological Survey doesn't seem to think Yellowstone is primed for any new eruptions in the immediate future (https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/yellowstone-overdue-eruption-when-will-yellowstone-erupt)

Just from a time perspective (and volcanoes don't really go on schedule) it may be another 100,000 years before the next one. And they think only 5-15% of the magma chamber is molten.

It's apparently rhyolitic (felsic, silica rich) so it should be reasonably explosive, but apparently not an imminent danger at this time. Even so there was a less explosive eruption about back about 70ka.

But, who really knows?

Discussing a super eruption of the Yellowstone complex is about as pointless as discussing the Kraken conspiracy theory. It has no relationship to real events in normal everyday life.

The people of Tonga would beg to disagree. The Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai eruption of 2021 may have been one of the larger in human history. Possibly on a par with Krakatoa.

Neither does Gorebal Warming (aka Climate Change)...

A Yellowstone super eruption is a complete hypothetical of something that might not happen for hundreds of thousands of years. It's nearly pointless as a topic of discussion on major environmental problems..

Global warming is a reality and anthropogenic signatures are all over the GHG accumulating in the atmosphere

you're right!
The Deccan volcanic traps may have caused/contributed to the Permo-Triassic mass extinction event
It's from a PDF coursebook I have, not from the internet. I can email you the PDF?

Hey... If you are sending out copies I would not hate you for sending me one. :)

Why do you ignore NASA on climate change and focus solely on CO2 as the culprit?

Interestingly enough we know a lot about climate forcings (including CO2) from eruptions like Mt. Pinatubo. The amount of CO2 coming out of volcanoes is usually less than the amount that humans pump into the atmosphere every year but when they do it provides helpful information on the "climate sensitivity" of things like CO2 which lets us know that CO2 is, indeed, a very important greenhouse gas that we are responsible for.

No one thinks CO2 is the only factor (in fact if you read the IPCC you'll see a whole host of them) but CO2 is a large one related to our actions. We can even find a "fingerprint" pointing directly to human activity in the increased CO2 in the atmosphere. It's the carbon isotopes that show us we are responsible for a huge chunk of the increased CO2 in the atmosphere.

But, again, no one thinks it is ONLY CO2.

The Toba volcanic super-eruption, which occurred on what is now Sumatra, Indonesia, about 75,000 years ago, possibly changed the course of our species’ trajectory. It likely caused a genetic bottleneck and perhaps the extinction of the last remnants of Homo erectus living in Asia. It’s postulated that the eruption might have caused a 10-year global volcanic winter, spurring an additional 1,000-year cooling period. It likely had a significant influence on our species in some way or another. Some researchers suggest that genetic data show that all living humans today are descended from no more than 10,000 individuals who lived approximately 70,000 years ago and survived the volcanic eruption.

Paleoenvironmental records across Southeast Asia support a distinctive shift in vegetation. Adapting to this dramatic shift in environment might have spurred sociocultural developments in Homo sapiens that gave them the leading edge when it came to succeeding over other species. Some tempting evidence comes from the rock shelter of Jwalapuram, India, where stone tools are found from layers dating both to before and after the Toba event. The recovery of these tools suggests that the hominins living there persisted in the face of adversity. However, the tool types and forms also changed after the event, shifting to smaller “microblade” technology. Would this adaptation have allowed increased mobility amid arid conditions after the eruption?

--> source credit: Suzanne Pilaar Birch, paleoanthropologist, University of Georgia

Interesting, Cypress, but what the hell are we supposed to do about it now?:thinking:

Interesting, Cypress, but what the hell are we supposed to do about it now?:thinking:

Nothing. Like the Civil War and Vietnam, it's history. Some people think it's worth learning from.

You don't give a fuck about Vietnam, right? Nothing to be learned there, right, neef?

The only thing we can do as a society is to recognize this research as legitimate scholarship worth funding and supporting.

Otherwise kids in the next generations won't have a chance to have careers as paleoanthropologists and push the boundaries of truth and human knowledge.

It would be unfortunate to live in a world where the pursuit of truth doesn't matter, everything just comes down to designing and selling a new widget

The only thing we can do as a society is to recognize this research as legitimate scholarship worth funding and supporting.

Otherwise kids in the next generations won't have a chance to have careers as paleoanthropologists and push the boundaries of truth and human knowledge.

It would be unfortunate to live in a world where the pursuit of truth doesn't matter, everything just comes down to designing and selling a new widget

Good points, Cypress.
Not applicable specifically to me, perhaps, but good points nonetheless.

My brain has only so many "searches" left in it.
At this age, I have to use them judiciously.

Good points, Cypress.
Not applicable specifically to me, perhaps, but good points nonetheless.

My brain has only so many "searches" left in it.
At this age, I have to use them judiciously.
I make a conscious effort to try to commit to memory what I think is important or consequential, and disregard the trivial or irrelevant.

Back