Top 10 Historical Novels

You mean you couldn't Google one?

Saigon begins with the romantic interest of a young man prior to the Vietnam War and so of course weaves a viewpoint of the war...a fairly evenhanded view imo.

Westward HO is really a story for young boys 12-18 year old. High adventures at Sea-mostly about exploration and trade of the South American continents, but also delves into the French and English and Spanish battles of the 16th century-historically accurate and a fast paced page turner-if you can get a copy that is illustrated by Wyeth and consider yourself blessed.

Two Years Before the Mast is in actual fact not fiction, but it is written as such. It is about an attorney in colonial America who becomes ill and it is recommended that some time at sea will be good for his health. His adventure takes him round Cape Horn in the 19th century on a sailing vessel and to the coast of CA at a time when it was still a coast of buffalo hide and animal fur traders...it also delves into his personal spiritual awakening.

Mary Queen of Scotts is pretty self evident~

Mott can't subtract 45.7 from 52.9..... yet you expect him to be able to use google? :whoa:

Still no response from you on the other thread.

It has nothing to do with my 'needing a life'.... YOU made your feeble little 'jr college' comment, were subsequently shown why it was YOU that was wrong... and then you ran away with no apology or acknowledgement. So yes, I am going to mock your cowardice for that.

Oh well hell..I was wrong about the math thing. My source must have rounded the figures to the nearest whole #...my bad.....but that doesn't change the fact that you're a social science major from a second rate junior college! ;-P

Now.....go get a life and get out of this sig if can't stay on topic ya little troll.

You mean you couldn't Google one?

Saigon begins with the romantic interest of a young man prior to the Vietnam War and so of course weaves a viewpoint of the war...a fairly evenhanded view imo.

Westward HO is really a story for young boys 12-18 year old. High adventures at Sea-mostly about exploration and trade of the South American continents, but also delves into the French and English and Spanish battles of the 16th century-historically accurate and a fast paced page turner-if you can get a copy that is illustrated by Wyeth and consider yourself blessed.

Two Years Before the Mast is in actual fact not fiction, but it is written as such. It is about an attorney in colonial America who becomes ill and it is recommended that some time at sea will be good for his health. His adventure takes him round Cape Horn in the 19th century on a sailing vessel and to the coast of CA at a time when it was still a coast of buffalo hide and animal fur traders...it also delves into his personal spiritual awakening.

Mary Queen of Scotts is pretty self evident~
I guess I could have but I'd rather read your description (i.e. I'm to lazy).

Oh well hell..I was wrong about the math thing. My source must have rounded the figures to the nearest whole #...my bad.....but that doesn't change the fact that you're a social science major from a second rate junior college! ;-P

Now.....go get a life and get out of this sig if can't stay on topic ya little troll.

LMAO.... good of you to finally admit you ARE indeed a dumbshit from Ohio.

Now... are you going to make that bet? Obama greater than 7.2% margin.... $100

Cawacko wants in on this action as well.

I haven't heard of it. What's it about and who is the author?

Its about the occupied Norweigians plan to smuggle their gold out of the country and transport it to the US during WWII to prevent it from falling into the hands of the Nazis. A group of children were enlisted to sneak it past the Nazis on their sleds in daylong trips from the cave mines through numerous resting points/safe houses, and finally down to the beach. They would then bury the gold and mark the spots by building snowmen over the holes. Once they had stashed enough, and the time seemed right, the gold was to be loaded onto a fishing boat. Fun story with a lot of suspense.

I never liked historical novels much, but Rebels a great book. It's a novelization of the Irish Easter Rising in 1916. I also LOVE Enemy At the Gates, and feel it's one of the best books of all time. Add to that Gallipoli, which tells the story of the battle of Gallipoli during WWI.

lmao....i just read this thread and i'm - like a boss

when mott loses....he blames his superiors....yurt this, yurt that....really mott, i'm not the only one who posts on this board. then again, your math sucks, so that explains why you think i'm responsible for you getting called out by other posters. when all else fails.....blame dear ol' yurt.

I've only seen the movies, both of which are epic! :tv:
I love the movie Enemy at The Gates, but it's not at all historically accurate. And it's about 2-3 pages of the entire story. It's honestly my favorite book ever written. A close second that I forgot to mention is Gates of Fire. It's a novelization of the battle of Thermoplye

I never liked historical novels much, but Rebels a great book. It's a novelization of the Irish Easter Rising in 1916. I also LOVE Enemy At the Gates, and feel it's one of the best books of all time. Add to that Gallipoli, which tells the story of the battle of Gallipoli during WWI.

I've read enemies at the Gate. You're right that it's a great book and I had to make some difficult decisions. You could practically make a top 10 list in this genre with Micheners works alone.

I love the movie Enemy at The Gates, but it's not at all historically accurate. And it's about 2-3 pages of the entire story. It's honestly my favorite book ever written. A close second that I forgot to mention is Gates of Fire. It's a novelization of the battle of Thermoplye

Exactly. They centered on the story of the two snipers and fictionalized it and I was expecting a comprehensive movie about the battle of Stalingrad. I thought the movie sucked.

I think the most comical part of this thread is that we have a person from Michigan and an idiot from Ohio pretending they know how to read.

Exactly. They centered on the story of the two snipers and fictionalized it and I was expecting a comprehensive movie about the battle of Stalingrad. I thought the movie sucked.
They didn't entirely fictionalize it. Just certain parts. Like the commissar dying. He was shot, but survived and told Zietsev where the shot came from. He also had no interest in Tayna, who was a certifiable badass in her own right before the battle.

They didn't entirely fictionalize it. Just certain parts. Like the commissar dying. He was shot, but survived and told Zietsev where the shot came from. He also had no interest in Tayna, who was a certifiable badass in her own right before the battle.
That she was but as you pointed out....that comprized only a few pages of the book.

What surprized me about Stalingrad is that I thought it was the worst battle of WWII in terms of the loss of life but I believe it ranks #3 behind the Battle for Berlin and the Battle of Manila.

Back