Top Guns

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Here's an interesting trivia question. Can anyone name the 5 top ranking officers in US Military history in order of rank?

Last edited:
Well since the president is commander of the armed forces I would think he is top ranking. And we have had more than five of those.

there have been 9 or 10 5star officers... I am not sure how one would order them:

Pershing...Arnold... Ike... Marshall... MacAurthur...Bradley... Dewey... King... Nimitz... Halsey... Leahy... there may be more, but those I can name off the the top.

George Washington
John Joseph Pershing
George Catlett Marshall
Douglas MacArthur
Dwight David Eisenhower
Grant surpassed lieutenant general George Washington when he was promoted to general in chief. He was the first to hold the title of lieutenant general of the US after George Washington and the first to hold a rank higher than our first President's while in active service in the military.

However George Washington was posthumously appointed General of the Armies of the United States, back-dated to July 4, 1976 and by proclamation will always hold the highest military rank in the United States.

there have been 9 or 10 5star officers... I am not sure how one would order them:

Pershing...Arnold... Ike... Marshall... MacAurthur...Bradley... Dewey... King... Nimitz... Halsey... Leahy... there may be more, but those I can name off the the top.
You got quite a few names right but not their rankings. That's what I'm looking for. Who were to top 5 ranking officers.

General of the Army
General of the Air Force
Fleet Admiral
Commandant of the USMC
Commandant of the Coast Guard

You forgot "General of the Armies" of which only two men have been awarded that rank and you forgot "Admiral of the Navy" of which only one man has held that rank. But those are ranks and not the 5 highest ranking officers in US military history.

Grant surpassed lieutenant general George Washington when he was promoted to general in chief. He was the first to hold the title of lieutenant general of the US after George Washington and the first to hold a rank higher than our first President's while in active service in the military.

However George Washington was posthumously appointed General of the Armies of the United States, back-dated to July 4, 1976 and by proclamation will always hold the highest military rank in the United States.

That's correct. GW is #1. Who are the other 4?

You've only picked 3 of the top five but you only got one ranking correct. If I had said the top ranking "ARMY" officers you would have been right.
2nd try:

General and Commander-in-Chief George Washington
General of the Armies John Joseph Pershing
General of the Army, General of the Air Force George Catlett Marshall
Admiral of the Navy George Dewey
Fleet Admiral William Daniel Leahy

2nd try:

General and Commander-in-Chief George Washington
General of the Armies John Joseph Pershing
General of the Army, General of the Air Force George Catlett Marshall
Admiral of the Navy George Dewey
Fleet Admiral William Daniel Leahy

I think with a 3rd try you'll get it right. You have all the correct men, you just don't have the correct order of rank.

I think with a 3rd try you'll get it right. You have all the correct men, you just don't have the correct order of rank.
An Admiral of the Navy is equal to the General of the Armies... I'd drop his name directly below that of General of the Armies...

Back