Tough Enough to Wear Pink....

I support you watermark.

One of my grandmothers was killed in 1996 by a drunk driver. she wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was driving a geo

nuff said.

The other one had a stroke and had a bunch of other problems, couldn't really communicate the last 3-4 years of her life. And would forget names and people. That death was probably worse. She was very independent even into old age, going on walks every single day. Being a teacher's aid for kindergarten kids. Finally though, she couldn't live in her house anymore. There was some incident that finally confined her to a chair and while she was recovering in the hospital, I guess the decision was made that she couldn't live on her own. That was not an easy conversation.

She soon couldn't remember names. And would say nonsensical stuff out of nowhere. I think she had dementia. Sometimes you could see the frustration in her eyes when you could see she wanted to say something of meaning, that it was on the tip of her tongue. You would try your best to help her get it out, but to no avail. She ultimately couldn't, and gave up with a visible sigh or a disgusted, disappointed look. "Oh, you want some more shrimp?" someone might ask. Nope, that wasn't it, but she took a few anyway. And went back to starring of into the distance, utterly alone.

Well, Goodnight everyone!

I can relate Damo. My grandmother had exploratory surgery on my 17th birthday and was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer. She died 3 months later. My Grandfather preceded her by a year. He died on my 16th b-day from a peptic ulcer. For a long time I didn't celebrate my b-day.

My mother lost her 12-year-old sister on her 9th birthday. She has struggled with her birthday ever since, but it seems to have gotten easier for her. Very weird to have grown-up knowing that I should have had another aunt, and that the family lost its best and brightest to tragedy. Luckily its the stronger/closer side of the family, because I doubt the other side could have survived a thing like that. My grandmother turned 90, I turned 21 the next day, and then she passed the day after that. Close call, there.

Just so y'all know.

I miss my grandma. I'm sad today.

I wear a pink shirt for breast cancer awareness at 2 or 3 events a year. Since I don't have normal color vision I had someone else verify it when I bought it. Golfer will wear the gaudiest stuff, so look at a golf shop, Damo. Ain't no shame in showing you remember and raising awareness.

My mother lost her 12-year-old sister on her 9th birthday. She has struggled with her birthday ever since, but it seems to have gotten easier for her. Very weird to have grown-up knowing that I should have had another aunt, and that the family lost its best and brightest to tragedy. Luckily its the stronger/closer side of the family, because I doubt the other side could have survived a thing like that. My grandmother turned 90, I turned 21 the next day, and then she passed the day after that. Close call, there.
I can relate to that. My mothers older sister died at 11 years of age of a fever that would have been easily treated with antibiotics but this was then 1930's.

I wear a pink shirt for breast cancer awareness at 2 or 3 events a year. Since I don't have normal color vision I had someone else verify it when I bought it. Golfer will wear the gaudiest stuff, so look at a golf shop, Damo. Ain't no shame in showing you remember and raising awareness.

Where do you think I got that salmon shirt, man? And I see fine with normal color vision, but shades of different pinks with different names? Bah... humbug.

;)

I can relate to that. My mothers older sister died at 11 years of age of a fever that would have been easily treated with antibiotics but this was then 1930's.

The fever was bacterial in nature? Most fevers can't be treated with antibiotics. But if it gets bad enough, other treatments options are available.

The fever was bacterial in nature? Most fevers can't be treated with antibiotics. But if it gets bad enough, other treatments options are available.

I think you mean "viral". Antibiotics are specifically meant for treating bacterial infections and not viruses.

Anyways, that was my point. Antibiotics weren't available back then. Antibiotics were not widely available till after WWII.

I was asking if it were bacterial because otherwise it couldn't be treated with antibiotics anyway under such circumstances. It's a misuse of antibiotics to treat fevers with them.
You're confused. It is viruses which cannot be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are specifically used for bacterial infections.

I think you mean "viral". Antibiotics are specifically meant for treating bacterial infections and not viruses.

Anyways, that was my point. Antibiotics weren't available back then. Antibiotics were not widely available till after WWII.
As an interesting side note:

It was the advent of antibiotics that made abortion safe. The numbers dropped from about 1500 deaths per year to less than 300 per year in a decade.

You're confused. It is viruses which cannot be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are specifically used for bacterial infections.

You need anti-retroviral medication, and that only works on specific types of viruses. Your body makes the antibody for viruses.... Antibiotics kill bacteria.

Back