Toyota stands by its product

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma I purchased in 2001 for 15K with 22,000 miles on it.

I paid it off years ago and keep it as a 3rd vehicle. Nice to have pickup around my parts. I drive a camary for commuting to work as the saving in gas alone over the pickup almost totally pays the lease payment of $200 a month.

So got a recall notice on the frame.. excessive rust on 1995-2000 model years in winter salt states. Apparently the factory didnt use the right kind of coating.

So went down and looked under truck.. sure enough like a disease the rust was spreading.. and i actually pushed my finger thru part of the frame.

So here is the deal. I go over to my toyota dealer today and set up an inspection for tomorrow. I showed him pictures and he says.. yes thats gonna fail.

What chap gets:

1) 30day rental car free of charge. unlimited miles
2) Check for 150% RETAIL value on Kelly blue book. (that = about 14-15K)

So i drove a toyota truck for over 7 years putting over 100k miles on it for free.

:clink:

Wonder if GM or Ford would do that.

Yep a friend of mine got a similiar deal. He bought the truck used a couple of years ago, drove it and got 200% of what he paid for it from Toyota.

Heck with investing in stocks, buy rusty framed Toyota pickups :D

i will know my amount at a latter time. but i can estimate based on going to KBB. its a v6 4x4 extracab trd sr5 with some options and about 130k on it.

btw I think those were made in USA Toyotas.... not absolutely sure on that though.

yes they were.. but not in same location as the frames for the 4runners. i think the recall will extend out to 2004 or 2005 tacomas next. dont think 4 runners tho.

guy was saying 800,000 vins identified world wide.. so far in MA 1 out of 20 are PASSING. rest get a check and truck goes to the crusher.

feels like I just won a new car. Add that to my upcoming change in schedule to a 4 day work week and I cant complain much.

nahh. i may not buy anything and take the money and plop it down on the mortgage or better yet invest it for the 20more months on my lease then have enough to just buy a car cash.

....What chap gets:

1) 30day rental car free of charge. unlimited miles
2) Check for 150% RETAIL value on Kelly blue book. (that = about 14-15K)

So i drove a toyota truck for over 7 years putting over 100k miles on it for free.

:clink:

Wonder if GM or Ford would do that.

That's pretty damn amazing. I've had a Ford with a frame that rusted out (back in the 70's) and a friend had his Chevy do the same (late 60's). Back then (in New England) cars basically only lasted 5 years or so and ours were both much older so a recall would never have been considered. I have a friend now with a 4 year old Dodge pickup and the paint is bad and his dealer basically told him to shove it.

Toyota is number 1 for more than one reason ?
And if they had not outsourced the frames to an American manufacturer ?

the problem is a combination of metal made out of used washing machines, corrosive salt used in some snow areas, and not using enough or any of the right sealant coating.

going down right now to toyota with my pickup to be inspected. Tho i already know it will fail ill report back.

My car is about to go in minute. I was debating on whether I've been leaning toward Infinitis and Acura's but you may be selling me on the Toyotas. Although they come with any good toys standard.

Back