Two Takes on Al Gore

But to extend it to all of a group is stereotyping, and if it is based on "race", such as "White" then what do you have?

Stereotyping based on race and sex is both racism and sexism regardless of whether you are "recognizing" that racism exists when you make the remark.

Making a General statement often leads to such stereotypes and to such discussions on a board like this. By adding one word, or by leaving it out, it changes the meaning significantly.

Ornot's comment on "enough" definitively changes the statement's meaning, it is no longer a generalization of all of a group based on race and gender.

That's right Damo, I meant that NO white man would vote for a black man, because I didn't use the word "enough", even though I didn't use the word "NO", since I didn't say "Enough" I must have meant "NO", even though anyone who has bothered reading my posts would know that I personally know white men who would.

Don't be fucking stupid Damo.

I expect that shit from a little pissant like tinfoil who only comes here to curse at people, or from Superfreak, who is a knee-jerk reactionary, and exactly the type of white man I have in mind, but not from you, in the interest of keeping these assholes placated on your board.

That's right Damo, I meant that NO white man would vote for a black man, because I didn't use the word "enough", even though I didn't use the word "NO", since I didn't say "Enough" I must have meant "NO", even though anyone who has bothered reading my posts would know that I personally know white men who would.

Don't be fucking stupid Damo.

I expect that shit from a little pissant like tinfoil who only comes here to curse at people, or from Superfreak, who is a knee-jerk reactionary, and exactly the type of white man I have in mind, but not from you, in the interest of keeping these assholes placated on your board.
See? This is what I mean by what I was saying above.

I don't believe that is what you meant. I believe that you meant what Ornot said. That not "enough" white males would vote for a black male for him to be elected.

I was just making a general statement how one word can change everything. And on such a place as a board everything is nitpicked so that your meaning, based on all the experience that we have with you, is ignored so they can make a play based on word structure rather than knowledge of the person posting.

See? This is what I mean by what I was saying above.

I don't believe that is what you meant. I believe that you meant what Ornot said. That not "enough" white males would vote for a black male for him to be elected.

I was just making a general statement how one word can change everything. And on such a place as a board everything is nitpicked so that your meaning, based on all the experience that we have with you, is ignored so they can make a play based on word structure rather than knowledge of the person posting.

Oh. Well, I misunderstood you then, and I'm sorry. I was seriously considering not talking to you for the rest of the day, so that I wasn't incited to do more cursing, which I am trying to cut down on, in case you haven't noticed.

I apologize Damo.

Oh. Well, I misunderstood you then, and I'm sorry. I was seriously considering not talking to you for the rest of the day, so that I wasn't incited to do more cursing, which I am trying to cut down on, in case you haven't noticed.

I apologize Damo.
I take no offense. When I read what I posted I could see how you could take it that way and I explain rather than get angry.

If I actually thought you meant the more generalized statement I would have been all over it for racism and sexism from the beginning.

We build experience of each other's opinions by reading each other's opinions, we should use some of that experience when "hearing" the remarks.

I take no offense. When I read what I posted I could see how you could take it that way and I explain rather than get angry.

If I actually thought you meant the more generalized statement I would have been all over it for racism and sexism from the beginning.

We build experience of each other's opinions by reading each other's opinions, we should use some of that experience when "hearing" the remarks.

Well we've had a very touching reconcilliation. I msyelf am quite moved.

;)

Oh, good grief. It's obvious that she was talking about a statistical phenomenon. Get a grip! How PC do you demand that we be?

And I agree. It's still not clear that enough white men will pull the lever for a black man. Or, to be, perhaps, more accurate, I fear that enough of us won't as to negate a whole heckuva lot of charisma.

Standard GOP false outrage.

I've found on message boards that if you don't consistently add qualifiers - like (some) white men won't vote for Obama - it doesn't matter, how clear the context is. A false outrage GOPer will jump on you for suggesting that ALL white men won't vote for Obama.

Standard GOP false outrage.

I've found on message boards that if you don't consistently add qualifiers - like (some) white men won't vote for Obama - it doesn't matter, how clear the context is. A false outrage GOPer will jump on you for suggesting that ALL white men won't vote for Obama.

It is due to limited reading comprehension skills.

Yep I admit guilt to having done that to you Damo. You are one of the few cons I know who will admit to a mistake though.

"Standard GOP false outrage.

I've found on message boards that if you don't consistently add qualifiers - like (some) white men won't vote for Obama - it doesn't matter, how clear the context is. A false outrage GOPer will jump on you for suggesting that ALL white men won't vote for Obama."

Give me a break. If I (a white man) had said something like that about black women... the extremists would have been all over my ass. Look at Darla, she knows nothing about me. Yet she makes statements like "or from Superfreak, who is a knee-jerk reactionary, and exactly the type of white man I have in mind"

Calling her statement racist is not knee-jerk.... nor am I that evil white man that would never vote for a black man.

Anyone else feel that way? If she is going to make comments like that then I am going to call her on it. Because she makes generalizations like that quite frequently against "white men". It is bullshit. Had it been Care, Ornot, Lady T , Cypress etc... , I wouldn't have reacted in the same manner because they have not demonstrated that behavior before to me.

I've found on message boards that if you don't consistently add qualifiers - like (some) white men won't vote for Obama - it doesn't matter, how clear the context is. A false outrage GOPer will jump on you for suggesting that ALL white men won't vote for Obama."

Give me a break. If I (a white man) had said something like that about black women... the extremists would have been all over my ass. Look at Darla, she knows nothing about me. Yet she makes statements like "or from Superfreak, who is a knee-jerk reactionary, and exactly the type of white man I have in mind"

Calling her statement racist is not knee-jerk.... nor am I that evil white man that would never vote for a black man.

Anyone else feel that way? If she is going to make comments like that then I am going to call her on it. Because she makes generalizations like that quite frequently against "white men". It is bullshit. Had it been Care, Ornot, Lady T , Cypress etc... , I wouldn't have reacted in the same manner because they have not demonstrated that behavior before to me.

What are you talking about? "If a white man had something like that about black women". Said something like what? If a white man made the claim that he is not certain the black woman will pull the lever for a black man, I'd just snort to myself "what a moron" and wouldn't bother to answer it. No one would be all over your ass. I think you feel people all over your ass at the drop of a hat, and that, is the exact reaction of "knee jerk reactionary". They always think that women, and blacks and a long list of other shady types are "all over their asses everytime they open their poor innocent mouths".

Further, most people understood what I meant and my intent. When I speak of the white male, I do not use that term in the manner a reactionary hears it in, but rather in the way it is used in quite different circles, and that's why you have no hope of every understanding my meaning.

nearly everyone on the thread understood she didn't mean ALL white men wouldn't vote for obama.

Its a fact, that there is a smaller subset of whites who won't be comfortable voting for a black candidate. That's a fact. We have 100 years of history to prove it. Everyone on the thread understood the context, except for you and the troll "tinfoil".

Back