U.S.-China trade has cost 2.3 million U.S. jobs: report

uscitizen

Villified User
By Andrea Hopkins

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit with China cost 2.3 million American jobs between 2001 and 2007, the Economic Policy Institute said on Wednesday in a report likely to fuel debate about free trade ahead of November elections.

Even when they found new jobs, workers displaced by job loss to China saw their earnings decrease by an average of $8,146 each year because the new jobs paid less

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2935619520080730?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

By Andrea Hopkins

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit with China cost 2.3 million American jobs between 2001 and 2007, the Economic Policy Institute said on Wednesday in a report likely to fuel debate about free trade ahead of November elections.

Even when they found new jobs, workers displaced by job loss to China saw their earnings decrease by an average of $8,146 each year because the new jobs paid less

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2935619520080730?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

You think this was an accident, or somehow all unintentional?

This was exactly what the wall street republicans, and corporate-sponsored Dems had in mind when the passed NAFTA, WTO, and China MFN.

A downward pressure on labor costs and wages in the United States.

People like Cawacko, Damocles, and Stuperfreak actually bought into the nonsense that William F Buckley, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and Alan Greenspan were actually valiantly trying to improve the status, power, and wage potential of america's working middle class. Is it possible to be any more foolish that to believe scions of the conservative movement and america's rich investor were invested in improving the power and status of Joe and Jane working class american?

This was exactly what the wall street republicans, and corporate-sponsored Dems had in mind when the passed NAFTA, WTO, and China MFN.

People like Cawacko, Damocles, and Stuperfreak actually bought into the nonsense that William F Buckley, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and Alan Greenspan were actually valiantly trying to improve the status, power, and wage potential of america's working middle class. Is it possible to be any more foolish that to believe scions of the conservative movement and america's rich investor were invested in improving the power and status of Joe and Jane working class american?

You leave out that Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, WTO and China MFN.

cawacko, you should really learn to read what I write, instead of imagining what you would like think that I wrote. .

I said the corporate sponsored Dems were enablers of phony globalization too.

cawacko, you should really learn to read what I write, instead of imagining what you would like think that I wrote. .

I said the corporate sponsored Dems were enablers of phony globalization too.

I'm not attemtping to imagine anything. In your last paragraph you put the blame on conservatives. The reason I bring up Bill Clinton is because he was President at the time. He had the bullypulpit while this was happening. He had more influence selling this to Americans than all those others combined.

And Republicans are not monolithic in their beliefs on this. There are, as there always has been, isolationists in the party such as Pat Buchanon (who had a large following in '92).

Edit: But there are definitely people in the Republican Party that support free trade across the globe, not isolationism, and I would be in that group.

Last edited:
I'm not attemtping to imagine anything. In your last paragraph you put the blame on conservatives. The reason I bring up Bill Clinton is because he was President at the time. He had the bullypulpit while this was happening. He had more influence selling this to Americans than all those others combined.

And Republicans are not monolithic in their beliefs on this. There are, as there always has been, isolationists in the party such as Pat Buchanon (who had a large following in '92).

Look, I realize this is another attempt at "let's share the blame equally" from a republican partisan. I recognize that corporate sponsored Dems acted like enablers for this WTO NAFTA crap.

Cawacko, who was it that spent four decades pushing alleged "free" trade, the castration of unions, privatization, and the removal of barriers to the flight of capital to third world countries?

Liberals? Or conservatives?

Look, I realize this is another attempt at "let's share the blame equally" from a republican partisan. I recognize that corporate sponsored Dems acted like enablers for this WTO NAFTA crap.

Cawacko, who was it that spent four decades pushing alleged "free" trade, the castration of unions, privatization, and the removal of barriers to the flight of capital to third world countries?

Liberals? Or conservatives?

I'm not looking to share blame. Free trade and more interconnected economies is a good thing. It is an overall benefit to the U.S. and to the globe as a whole. I'm actually complementing Bill Clinton on something. If you would like me to stay partisan I can give the Republicans (not the Republican isolationists though) all the credit, but that's not the case.

Cypress mr castro union himself
Unions are killing GM and ford before our eyes.
Yeah that's the way to go

I'm not looking to share blame. Free trade and more interconnected economies is a good thing. It is an overall benefit to the U.S. and to the globe as a whole. I'm actually complementing Bill Clinton on something. If you would like me to stay partisan I can give the Republicans (not the Republican isolationists though) all the credit, but that's not the case.

I'll note to you that most Democrats in congress voted against NAFTA.

NAFTA on balance is a disaster. WTO was set up for the benefit of multinational corporations, and the wealthy investor class. It doesn't work for poor african farmers. It doesn't work for the gal working at plant or mill in Indiana.

I wish we could get past this either/or impasse.

There are not simply two options: either your for NAFTA, or you're against trade.

NAFTA on balance is a disaster. WTO was set up for the benefit of multinational corporations, and the wealthy investor class. It doesn't work for poor african farmers. It doesn't work for the gal working at plant or mill in Indiana.

There are not simply two options: either your for NAFTA, or you're against trade.

Maybe Clinton was unique within the Dem party because the Dems in Congress have shot down recent trade deals with our allies Columbia and South Korea.

Millions work for multinations you math challange old school dem wussie man

yeah it is called competing in a global marketpalce. Ie dropping the standard of living in the USA.

Back