U.S.-China trade has cost 2.3 million U.S. jobs: report

This is a great quote/thread from 2008. Look at what Cypress wrote here and in subsequent posts. It's about free trade hurting the working class Americans. Is his rhetoric really all that different than Trump's today? This was Bernie Sanders rhetoric as well.

But now that Trump is the one proposing tariffs and speaking about the trade deficit being bad all of a sudden certain folks have found religion on free trade.

Is this your favorite game, chap? A never ending quest to expose the abject horrors of liberal hypocrisy?

Not sure if you are thinking of someone else, but I am on record here as recently as a few weeks ago saying that I would support limited and sensible tariffs if all other options have been exhausted.... and if there is a critical need to protect a strategic American industry.

What I did say is that I do not trust an incompetent, blustering, obese Orange Pig to wage a trade war on my behalf.
I do not think Fat So knows what he is doing, and I have never been impressed with bluster and false bravado, nor do I think it makes good public policy.

Lastly, I have never been impressed by the fake buzword "free trade". It is meaningless without context and detail.

Is this your favorite game, chap? A never ending quest to expose the abject horrors of liberal hypocrisy?

Not sure if you are thinking of someone else, but I am on record here as recently as a few weeks ago saying that I would support limited and sensible tariffs if all other options have been exhausted.... and if there is a critical need to protect a strategic American industry.

What I did say is that I do not trust an incompetent, blustering, obese Orange Pig to wage a trade war on my behalf.
I do not think Fat So knows what he is doing, and I have never been impressed with bluster and false bravado, nor do I think it makes good public policy.

Lastly, I have never been impressed by the fake buzword "free trade". It is meaningless without context and detail.

Not a gotcha thing but it's interesting to read comments from what we said a decade ago, my own comments included. And Democrats/liberals and Republicans/conservatives can differ within their own "group" on trade agreements.

But it's interesting to see this thread from a decade ago arguing about the negatives of a trade deficit from a liberal perspective and now we have Trump doing from a populist perspective. I still believe both sides are wrong. Trade isn't a zero sum game and having a trade deficit isn't automatically a negative.

Not a gotcha thing but it's interesting to read comments from what we said a decade ago, my own comments included. And Democrats/liberals and Republicans/conservatives can differ within their own "group" on trade agreements.

But it's interesting to see this thread from a decade ago arguing about the negatives of a trade deficit from a liberal perspective and now we have Trump doing from a populist perspective. I still believe both sides are wrong. Trade isn't a zero sum game and having a trade deficit isn't automatically a negative.

Its a good topic.
I cannot speak for anyone else. I have never been against tariffs on principle, in limited and necessary circumstances.

I am against having incompetent Orange Hogs in charge of trade policy and blustering about starting and winning trade wars. That is never a winning hand. Competence matters to me.

I also have never been against anyone trying to restore some balance to American trade and economic policy, placing labor at least on equal footing with our corporate overlords and the affluent investor class.

By Andrea Hopkins

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit with China cost 2.3 million American jobs between 2001 and 2007, the Economic Policy Institute said on Wednesday in a report likely to fuel debate about free trade ahead of November elections.

Even when they found new jobs, workers displaced by job loss to China saw their earnings decrease by an average of $8,146 each year because the new jobs paid less

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2935619520080730?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

And good paying ones at that.

Our ownership class moved our manufacturing to China and other third world countries to get unprotected, cheap labor and no environmental regulations. The government gave them tax breaks top make the moves. they went lock, stock and intellectual property. They did it for short term profits. The only thing they care about is money. Caring about the country is for little people They are international corporations with no real concept on American nationalism. We are just another market.

It is repulsive that Trump bitches about it. He and Ivanka are still making their high price crap in China and 3rd world countries. Rightys think he cares about American workers. that is amazing.

Our ownership class moved our manufacturing to China and other third world countries to get unprotected, cheap labor and no environmental regulations. The government gave them tax breaks top make the moves. they went lock, stock and intellectual property. They did it for short term profits. The only thing they care about is money. Caring about the country is for little people They are international corporations with no real concept on American nationalism. We are just another market.

It is repulsive that Trump bitches about it. He and Ivanka are still making their high price crap in China and 3rd world countries. Rightys think he cares about American workers. that is amazing.

So you believe the trade deficit costs jobs. Does comparative trade advantage not exist to you? Should we stop importing into the U.S.? Should we only be able to buy goods produced in the U.S.?

This is a great quote/thread from 2008. Look at what Cypress wrote here and in subsequent posts. It's about free trade hurting the working class Americans. Is his rhetoric really all that different than Trump's today? This was Bernie Sanders rhetoric as well.

But now that Trump is the one proposing tariffs and speaking about the trade deficit being bad all of a sudden certain folks have found religion on free trade.

I know you must have gone to great lengths to research my posts and bump this, with the expectation that it would highlight "liberal hypocrisy".

I am sorry to disappoint you chap, but I said mere weeks ago that I was still in favor of limited and effective use of tariffs to protect critical American industries, when necessary.

Cypress, March 2018:

I am not against the possibility of limited tariffs when appropriate, when measured, when a critical American industry is at stake, and when all other options are exhausted.

What I am against is an incompetent, Orange Fat Ass threatening trade wars, acting like a bull in a china shop, and just generally acting like he does not know what the eff he is doing!

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?92879-Life-Under-Trump&p=2279589#post2279589

I know you must have gone to great lengths to research my posts and bump this, with the expectation that it would highlight "liberal hypocrisy".

I am sorry to disappoint you chap, but I said mere weeks ago that I was still in favor of limited and effective use of tariffs to protect critical American industries, when necessary.

I said in a previous post it wasn't calling you out personally. I said look at the rhetoric from a decade ago and compare it to what Bernie and Trump said today. It's essentially the same thing.

So you believe the trade deficit costs jobs. Does comparative trade advantage not exist to you? Should we stop importing into the U.S.? Should we only be able to buy goods produced in the U.S.?[/QUOTE This is about jobs. Our manufacturers moved to China and gave them American know how. It is not China making those products. It is American manufacturers who are making them over there instead of in America. We spent a over a century developing manufacturing methods and systems. Then took them to China. China is now the economic power across much of the world. Our execs made it that way.

So you believe the trade deficit costs jobs. Does comparative trade advantage not exist to you? Should we stop importing into the U.S.? Should we only be able to buy goods produced in the U.S.?[/QUOTE This is about jobs. Our manufacturers moved to China and gave them American know how. It is not China making those products. It is American manufacturers who are making them over there instead of in America. We spent a over a century developing manufacturing methods and systems. Then took them to China. China is now the economic power across much of the world. Our execs made it that way.

We moved from an industrial economy to an information economy. With that people aren't going to get $25/hr plus benefits for making Nikes when they can be done cheaper elsewhere. That's what globalization does. We are not going back to the 1950's.

For as much as you dislike Trump it's ironic you share the same economic mindset he does. It's possible all this technology is scary to folks your age.

And China is having those products manufactured in Ethiopia.

By Andrea Hopkins

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit with China cost 2.3 million American jobs between 2001 and 2007, the Economic Policy Institute said on Wednesday in a report likely to fuel debate about free trade ahead of November elections.

Even when they found new jobs, workers displaced by job loss to China saw their earnings decrease by an average of $8,146 each year because the new jobs paid less

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2935619520080730?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

You mean after we outsourced all our manufacturing to them?

Back