Unbelievable Pencil Art!

Why not just take a photograph? Ultra-realism is just a gimmick. It is not a display of creativity. It is a complicated way of imitating a camera.

Spending all of that time to imitate a camera is not a good use of human potential. It's a gimmick. Maybe it makes him happy to pursue this hobby, but it's not any sort of high art.

No. It isn't. It isn't art.

It is impressive. As impressive as someone who does math by hand and never uses his calculator.

If it's art then a camera is the most skilled artist humanity has ever known.

With enough practice anyone could.

Plato (or one of those other two Greek guys) once said that art was imitation of nature. I've always disagreed.

I think art is the randomness in your brain filtered through logic to create something that inspires emotion in others. Some people are able to get the logic of it but aren't able to through enough random in there to create something truly original (others, like modernists, just ignore logic and produce meaningless white noise). I don't think it's a good use of your time to imitate nature just to imitate nature.

turn your computer off

turn your cell phone off

walk outside

go further, where there are no cars, little, if any people...go to high ground, look around. go hiking. i was a city boy until my girlfriend (now wife) convinced me to hike up to 10,500 feet in southern oregon.....10 of us set out, she was one of the trail blazers, my 2 friends came because i convinced them that computers (computer engineers) are not life...

we are all changed from that 22 mile, 7,000 foot elevation hike....i suggest you try it

What I hate is this ideology that great men are great apparently for no other reason than that they were born with superpowers. Great men are just people with a competent level of intelligence who practice their discipline enough.

turn your computer off

turn your cell phone off

walk outside

go further, where there are no cars, little, if any people...go to high ground, look around. go hiking. i was a city boy until my girlfriend (now wife) convinced me to hike up to 10,500 feet in southern oregon.....10 of us set out, she was one of the trail blazers, my 2 friends came because i convinced them that computers (computer engineers) are not life...

we are all changed from that 22 mile, 7,000 foot elevation hike....i suggest you try it

Will this make me change my opinion on the gimmick of ultrarealism?

What I would like would be if ultrarealists would put their talents towards inspiring emotions. Emotions other than simple awe that they did with their hands what anyone could do with a camera. This is why I do not classify their work as art, because it doesn't inspire serious emotion, but as a trinket, a gimmick. And that's why it's a tremendous waste of talent.

Back