US Malls Are Dying and There May Be Just 150 Left in 10 Years

signalmankenneth

Verified User
Most of the Malls, I knew in multiple cites are gone or abandon now?!!

There may be just 150 malls left in the US in 10 years, according to one industry watcher. There are currently around 700 malls in the US, down from 2,500 in the 1980s. Malls have suffered as online sales boomed.

Once-bustling American malls are going bust as shoppers flock to online retailers instead of sprawling, brick-and-mortar locations.

Ten years from now, there will be approximately 150 malls left in the US, Nick Egelanian, president of retail consulting firm SiteWorks, told The Wall Street Journal.

That's down from around 2,500 locations in the 1980s and 700 today, Egelanian said.

A longtime fixture of American culture, shopping malls have suffered for decades amid a rise in online shopping, a decline in visitors to department stores, and, more recently, the COVID-19 pandemic, which kept consumers home.

Other industry watchers predict a similarly painful fate for malls and retail stores more generally.

In 2020, Coresight Research projected that 25% of the country's approximately 1,000 malls would close shop in the following 3-5 years. In April, analysts at UBS projected that 40,000-50,000 American retail stores would shut down by 2027. They said traditional shopping malls are at particularly high risk because shoppers now prefer to make quick trips to close-by stores, per CNBC.

According to Egelanian, the malls that will weather the storm will be premium locations with entertainment, dining, and luxury stores.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ame...malls left in the US,from 2,500 in the 1980s.

mall-michaelfmcelroy_nyt.jpg

Amazon and Walmart with next day delivery killed them off , overhead too high and the de-socialization of the shopping experience and meeting place

The American Dream Mall was supposed to usher in a reimagining of malls as a relatively equal mix of shopping and entertainment, but it has failed to work. It is too hard to get to, parking is limited and charged, and everything is expensive.

I am pretty sure that I am right that the Mall of America was put up for collateral to get the American Dream Mall built....and that since the ADM has essentially failed owners might lose the MOA.

I was around well before malls when people shopped in classy downtown shops.
Then came the tacky malls with their free parking.
And then came fucking Amazon.

If I live long enough, I will no doubt see things get even worse than Amazon.

When a species like humanity goes into a general downward spiral, lots of these unfortunate phenomena manifest themselves.

When a species like humanity goes into a general downward spiral, lots of these unfortunate phenomena manifest themselves.

The big problem for retail has been the general refusal to spend money to update the stores....I hear so many reports of people who travel internationally reporting that American retail feels retro....and rather unpleasant.

The big problem for retail has been the general refusal to spend money to update the stores....I hear so many reports of people who travel internationally reporting that American retail feels retro....and rather unpleasant.

Interest perspective, Hawk.

I once had the opportunity to travel frequently, but TSA and shitty airlines have me staying home in recent years.

Interest perspective, Hawk.

I once had the opportunity to travel frequently, but TSA and shitty airlines have me staying home in recent years.

American stores are old and worn, finding staff to help is difficult and they not only tend to be not helpful but surly as well, and the threat of crime wears people down is what I hear about American retail...... me the guy who now almost never leaves my oasis except with the hounds, who has always not liked shopping.

This is especially obvious when people travel outside of America I am told, otherwise people tend to suffer from frog in the hot water syndrome.

I remember going downtown, we had multiple department stores, clothing stores, jewelry stores, and movie theaters too?!! I use to take the trolley bus to go downtown?!! Only one store remains from the glory day of our downtown?!!

cfabcb46f4a0e2b55aad53bd9e373539.jpg

Last edited:
Dont look for downtowns to make a comeback....America's massive decline in standard of living has already started, and the WOKE Revolution is intentionally killing downtowns with their war against cars and their pro crime policies. THe WEF directed 15 minute cities will finish the job.

Dont look for downtowns to make a comeback....America's massive decline in standard of living has already started, and the WOKE Revolution is intentionally killing downtowns with their war against cars and their pro crime policies. THe WEF directed 15 minute cities will finish the job.

Downtowns have ALWAYS been about rapid transit, buses, and cabs. The alleged war against cars isn't even a factor. America's overall lack of support for public transportation is the far bigger problem.

The "pro crime" policies, of course, are pure bullshit. That's your job, right Hawk?

Downtowns have ALWAYS been about rapid transit, buses, and cabs. The alleged war against cars isn't even a factor. America's overall lack of support for public transportation is the far bigger problem.

The "pro crime" policies, of course, are pure bullshit. That's your job, right Hawk?

I gave up lying years ago.

Public transit doesn't work in low density cities of the sort that populate the US. They work better in high density, compact cities like you find in Asia. In the US public transit is for those that can't afford a car. It's a poor man's choice when there is no other choice. It is inefficient, slow, cumbersome, and time consuming to use. That makes it near worthless to the average person.

Rockfords downtown started its decline around 1957....there was a relatively lame brain attempt to rebuild it around the metro center (currently with 6,200 seats, opened 1981) which failed, there never was a recovery. Cherryvale Mall opened 1973, which ended any dreams of rebuilding downtown around retail.

Public transit doesn't work in low density cities of the sort that populate the US. They work better in high density, compact cities like you find in Asia. In the US public transit is for those that can't afford a car. It's a poor man's choice when there is no other choice. It is inefficient, slow, cumbersome, and time consuming to use. That makes it near worthless to the average person.

Spend much time in the nation's major cultural centers? Probably not, right?
Also, is this an apology for America being so far behind the civilized world in good public transportation?

I have a Grand Cherokee [about seventy grand] and a vintage Corvette [almost two hundred grand to re-build], and I don't think public transportation is inefficient, slow, cumbersome, time consuming, nor above all, only for the broke-ass.
I just acknowledge that it's much better overseas.

one mall in our area became a government office complex.......another became a church......a third was taken over by a community college......a fourth was converted into two, back to back strip malls.......

Last edited:
Back