Welching On A Bet

cawacko

I saw it first hand last night. A group of dudes from Whales was playing pool and my buddy joined them playing doubles. The bet was the loser buys a shot for the winners and they shook on it. My buddy's team won and sure enough the two guy's who lost both said "we were just joking about the bet. we didn't really mean to play for a shot." And they wouldn't buy it.

Oh man I was dying laughing.

I saw it first hand last night. A group of dudes from Whales was playing pool and my buddy joined them playing doubles. The bet was the loser buys a shot for the winners and they shook on it. My buddy's team won and sure enough the two guy's who lost both said "we were just joking about the bet. we didn't really mean to play for a shot." And they wouldn't buy it.

"A group of dudes from Whales...."

So what exactly are you trying to say... that their parents are giant marine mammals or that they are from a country in Great Britain???

Because if it is the former, it's doubtful they would even fit inside of a pub much less be able to handle a pool cue with their pectoral fins.

If it is the latter, the name of the country you're referring to is spelled Wales, not Whales.

Dumbass. :palm:

So what exactly are you trying to say... that their parents are giant marine mammals or that they are from a country in Great Britain???

Because if it is the former, it's doubtful they would even fit inside of a pub much less be able to handle a pool cue with their pectoral fins.

If it is the latter, the name of the country you're referring to is spelled Wales, not Whales.

Yes, I misspelled the name of the country. I do appreciate the time and effort you took to point it out.

Yes, I misspelled the name of the country. I do appreciate the time and effort you took to point it out.

Don't mention it. :cig:

Calling attention to your dumbassery for the amusement of everyone else is always a pleasure. :thup:

I suppose this would be as good a time as any to point out to you also, that people from Wales are called Welsh, not Welch.

Kinda trashes the whole thing, doesn't it? :D

Sounds like Minty..............tee hee hee

Calling attention to your dumbassery for the amusement of everyone else is always a pleasure. :thup:

I suppose this would be as good a time as any to point out to you also, that people from Wales are called Welsh, not Welch.

Except the phrase is Welching on a bet, not Welshing on a bet. If you're going to talk trash at least know your sh*t.

I make a decent amount of bets with people, I am in that world, so to speak. Nothing huge, nothing degenerate. Just fun stuff with the bros. Betting on football, w/e

There certainly is a disconnect between people that often make bets and those that don't. When you make bets with people that know you are for real, your word is your bond, you don't break it. You know not to "joke" about a bet and nothing is considered off limits.

Sometimes you have to be careful with normies because of exactly what you described. It's not a usual thing for them and they don't realize that when they back out after the fact they have essentially robbed you of equity. They've freerolled your friends.

I would have held their feet to the fire, let them know what they did was scummy and not cool, and if they didn't man up I would make a mental note never to really have much to do with them ever again.

Except the phrase is Welching on a bet, not Welshing on a bet. If you're going to talk trash at least know your sh*t.

No shit, Sherlock.

But what was the point of connecting "welching on a bet" to some guys from Wales to begin with, if you weren't trying to connect welch to Wales?

It makes no sense.

You obviously got both things wrong.

Sorry, but it is what it is. :dunno:

Dumbass.

Please go kill yourself.

I make a decent amount of bets with people, I am in that world, so to speak. Nothing huge, nothing degenerate. Just fun stuff with the bros. Betting on football, w/e

There certainly is a disconnect between people that often make bets and those that don't. When you make bets with people that know you are for real, your word is your bond, you don't break it. You know not to "joke" about a bet and nothing is considered off limits.

Sometimes you have to be careful with normies because of exactly what you described. It's not a usual thing for them and they don't realize that when they back out after the fact they have essentially robbed you of equity. They've freerolled your friends.

I would have held their feet to the fire, let them know what they did was scummy and not cool, and if they didn't man up I would make a mental note never to really have much to do with them ever again.

These guys had the legit Wales accents and were clearly visiting from overseas. But I'm completely with you. A shot costs like $7. Its crazy to bet that then not pay. My friend wanted to beat their *ss on principle but obviously it's not worth it. But other than maybe Nonad who just doesn't pay up on a simple bet like that?

These guys had the legit Wales accents and were clearly visiting from overseas. But I'm completely with you. A shot costs like $7. Its crazy to bet that then not pay. My friend wanted to beat their *ss on principle but obviously it's not worth it. But other than maybe Nonad who just doesn't pay up on a simple bet like that?
Hmmm...two Welshmen...in San Francisco...drinking booze...with no sheep within a hundred miles...and you’re goin ta make a bet with the bloody Taffy’s? Are ya daft man?

Oh come on Nomad. Give Wacko a break. He’s a USC grad. He barely knows his gazintas. His major was Beer Bong. Don’t be such an elitist snob!!

Last edited:

Actually either is correct according to the Oxford Dictionary. I welshed on a bet with Dixie but it was due to technical difficulties. I was unable to mail a 6 pack of a specific beer in bottles. I, in good faith, offered to make an alternative form of payment but Dixie graciously declined.

Back