Well done with ketchup

Gosh, Ohio must suck more than I can imagine. No farm stands, no gardens, no fish markets...
No fish stands but I live about 5 miles from an Amish community and their open market, cheese house and butcher are better than anything you have in North Carolina.

Went this Taqueria today that I heard a lot about. Line was out the door. You put your order in, grab a seat and wait till they call your name. Well they called my name and I grabbed the order and started eating. Then they called my name again and that's when I realized I was eating someone else's order. LOL

No fish stands but I live about 5 miles from an Amish community and their open market, cheese house and butcher are better than anything you have in North Carolina.

I don't see how you can make that claim other than in jest. We have butcher shop only about ten miles from here that employs about four people. They butcher one steer daily. I can order online and pick up in about two weeks. There are small shops like that all over here. None advertise because they have dedicated clientele.

The guy that owns a local auto repair shop that specializes in German makes has a small farm. Last week I bought five pounds of "total" sausage from him. It was from a 700# sow that was his breeder. The hams were too big and tough, so they went into the mix as well. Super lean mix, fry it up and there's no grease left in the pan.

The other thing we have here is local farm co-ops. The way it works is you pay an up-front fee during the winter months to a local small farmer, and in return he gives you a stack of notes. Months later, during harvest season, he sets up a small stand downtown at a local business or church that isn't open during that time. You give him one of the cards for a paper shopping bag full of that week's harvest.

I don't see how you can make that claim other than in jest. We have butcher shop only about ten miles from here that employs about four people. They butcher one steer daily. I can order online and pick up in about two weeks. There are small shops like that all over here. None advertise because they have dedicated clientele.

The guy that owns a local auto repair shop that specializes in German makes has a small farm. Last week I bought five pounds of "total" sausage from him. It was from a 700# sow that was his breeder. The hams were too big and tough, so they went into the mix as well. Super lean mix, fry it up and there's no grease left in the pan.
All I can tell you is if you have not experienced the quality of the Amish agricultural products you may be in for a mild surprise. Also the cheese shop is to die for. So are their sausages and preserved meats.

Can we make a weaker argument about Trump or his supporters than ketchup on steak? It's his mouth and his money. If he wants to wreck a $54 steak by getting it burned and adding ketchup...

What am I saying? That's just wrong. :D
He also eats pizza with a fork, the guy is not normal ;)

All I can tell you is if you have not experienced the quality of the Amish agricultural products you may be in for a mild surprise. Also the cheese shop is to die for. So are their sausages and preserved meats.

I'm sure that they are at least as good as our local products if not better. We've bought several Amish furniture pieces over the years so I can attest that they make great stuff. I find it interesting that they've adopted high-tech materials and manufacturing techniques.

The other thing we have here is local farm co-ops. The way it works is you pay an up-front fee during the winter months to a local small farmer, and in return he gives you a stack of notes. Months later, during harvest season, he sets up a small stand downtown at a local business or church that isn't open during that time. You give him one of the cards for a paper shopping bag full of that week's harvest.

We've got a group here, that every month they set up a produce market and you can get 60# of available items for $10.

I'm sure that they are at least as good as our local products if not better. We've bought several Amish furniture pieces over the years so I can attest that they make great stuff. I find it interesting that they've adopted high-tech materials and manufacturing techniques.
They know the worth of a dollar too. Shrewd business men. Yet they mostly live in homes without electricity or central heat. Amish kids can be holy terrors though.

They know the worth of a dollar too. Shrewd business men. Yet they mostly live in homes without electricity or central heat. Amish kids can be holy terrors though.

I worked with a Mennonite farmer when I lived in Upstate NY. I wouldn't use the term "shrewd" as that connotes a less than desireable trait. I'd rather say that he knew the value of his time as well as the dollar. My deal with him was 50-50, generous to him so there was no need to negotiate beyond that. My very brief conversations with his kids gave me the impression of top-shelf people: polite, respectful not to mention tall, handsome young men and tall, very attractive young women.

Back