Well now we know how Wacko got into USC

Probably a scholarship for 'Wine Appreciation' and his thesis on 'Yachting San Francisco Bay'.

This is how a lot of wealthy kids get into college.

Even with all the other privileges and breaks they have.....

I'm not surprised. America has always been for the white wealthy.

All this "hard work" BS is for minorities.....

Your judgement is clouded by your racist hate.

Hey! I’ll have you know Wacko worked his ass off getting his degree in poultry appreciation!

If some rich, white kids are going to have their parents arrange to cheat their way into an expensive private school, why not Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, or at least Duke?

For God's sake, University of Southern California?

And this is not how a lot of rich kids get into college, that's just stupid. This was illegal and these folks have been arrested. Most rich people don't do illegal things to get their children into school. What the very wealthy do is donate (sometimes lots of) money to the University of their choice and have powerful friends write letters of recommendations for their children. Donating money to Universities is not illegal.

And this is not how a lot of rich kids get into college, that's just stupid. This was illegal and these folks have been arrested. Most rich people don't do illegal things to get their children into school. What the very wealthy do is donate (sometimes lots of) money to the University of their choice and have powerful friends write letters of recommendations for their children. Donating money to Universities is not illegal.
You may be underestimating just how stupid these kids are.

You may be underestimating just how stupid these kids are.

Oh I get how stupid these kids are. They had NO chance of getting into school which is why their parents did this. But this was an illegal act done by a small number of people. This isn’t how most kids get into school

All for a bunch of social climbing, which isn’t unimportant, but the truth is that there isn’t much difference in the classroom experience and quality of teaching at the vast majority of regionally accredited universities.

Oh I get how stupid these kids are. They had NO chance of getting into school which is why their parents did this. But this was an illegal act done by a small number of people. This isn’t how most kids get into school
This is true. Despite what TT says most Universities are meritocracies and though the wealthy will always have a leg up if you have ability most good schools will find away to get those students an education. Unfortunately many poor lack the social capital to know there are ways to get into and pay for an elite if you know what those ways are.

Almost everyone I know who went to an elite school leader received huge amounts in grants and scholarships to defray the cost.

If you are wealthy Harvard, Yale and Stanford are going to rape you for donations to chairs, programs and endowments.

Shit if you’re a rich Ohio State grad and have just been told you have six months to live you’ll probably get a visit from an Ohio State Trustee inside of a week.

This is true. Despite what TT says most Universities are meritocracies and though the wealthy will always have a leg up if you have ability most good schools will find away to get those students an education. Unfortunately many poor lack the social capital to know there are ways to get into and pay for an elite if you know what those ways are.

Almost everyone I know who went to an elite school leader received huge amounts in grants and scholarships to defray the cost.

If you are wealthy Harvard, Yale and Stanford are going to rape you for donations to chairs, programs and endowments.

Shit if you’re a rich Ohio State grad and have just been told you have six months to live you’ll probably get a visit from an Ohio State Trustee inside of a week.

I thought J.D. Vance did such a great job describing his experience at Yale coming from the background he did. He mentioned there was racial and ethnic diversity in his class but not a lot of economic diversity which is what you are hitting on.

My old man got his PhD at Ohio State and gets hit up ALL THE TIME for donations from them. He's guest lectured at the business school and things like that but like you said they just want money.

Back