APP - Well? What do you think?

Kenyan economist James Shikwati argues that aid to developing countries does more harm than good. He says that aid promotes corruption and complacency, damages local economies and teaches people to be beggars.

Most Americans are proud of their contribution, in terms on money, to the third world, so what do you think about this 'bust-a-myth' comment. Here's a bit more about the man:

James Shikwati (born 1970) is a Kenyan libertarian economist and Director of the Inter Region Economic Network who promotes freedom of trade as the driving solution to poverty in Africa. He has made comments which imply that aid towards Africa does nothing but harm to their people, based on the central arguments that it is mainly used either by politicians as a tool to manipulate people and influence votes, or as a mechanism for dumping subsidised foreign agricultural products onto local markets at below cost making it nearly impossible for African farmers to compete.

There's never a shortage of excuses why one should not help another. I've heard people say never give money to a panhandler as it encourages laziness, dependence, etc.

In the end it all boils down to cheap, stingy bastards.

On that note I'm out of here.

Have a great day, folks. :)

There's never a shortage of excuses why one should not help another. I've heard people say never give money to a panhandler as it encourages laziness, dependence, etc.

I'm sure that is what my lazy, no-account brother-in-law said about me the last time he had his hand out.

(That was sarcasm.)

You mean I can't have my own armed F16 and a Nuclear submarine???

Whaah my constitutional right have been violated.

:)

I misunderstood you, my apologies. I thought you were saying that we did not need an army as the nations gun owning population would more than be able to defend our nation.

AS for your constitutional right to a fighter jet or submarine, sure why not? You can own both, though it is ridiculously expensive to do so. As for the arms to said machines those are what is regulated and in my personal opinion (with the exception of nuclear munitions) should not be. They should be readily accessible to any non violent citizen of this country.

You don't give them money, you buy them some food. Give them money, and they buy booze. You are an ignorant one, aren't you?

You don't give them money, you buy them some food. Give them money, and they buy booze. You are an ignorant one, aren't you?

If you want to do something I suggest you lobby your food stores to buy their products. We already gave them food in the shape of the food WE like and can grow. Arrogance gone mad once again. They need to grow and harvest their own food and then find a market for it.
Here's another myth-busting bit of info:

http://kenvironews.wordpress.com/20...’s-food-crisis-one-indigenous-crop-at-a-time/

There is such a thing as a professional panhandler. They're the reason I never give out anything except advice.

I misunderstood you, my apologies. I thought you were saying that we did not need an army as the nations gun owning population would more than be able to defend our nation.

AS for your constitutional right to a fighter jet or submarine, sure why not? You can own both, though it is ridiculously expensive to do so. As for the arms to said machines those are what is regulated and in my personal opinion (with the exception of nuclear munitions) should not be. They should be readily accessible to any non violent citizen of this country.

what about non-nuclear arms for the f-16 or sub...not to mention certain classified equipment - of course if you agree not to sell the classified equipment to foreign nations...

If the government can own it, so can I is my way of thinking when it comes to arms. Not that many (if anyone) would be able to afford such ventures.

It never fails. The preachers of freedom, the preachers of "individuals and not others (government, your neighbor, community groups) know what they want", never fail to show the opposite. They can't differentiate between "helping" and "interfering".

Just for the record "helping" is doing what the person asking for help wants done. Not what the helper thinks needs to be done.

They already can.

would not it be more fun if corporations could declare war on each other for territorial exploitation rights and use surplus us military arms and munitions...non-nuclear that is - us various desert locations maybe...or military reservations

would not it be more fun if corporations could declare war on each other for territorial exploitation rights and use surplus us military arms and munitions...non-nuclear that is - us various desert locations maybe...or military reservations

They would get their cannon fodder from Kelly Services?

No that would be stupid. Most corporates aren't in any kind of shape for war.

Back