Westerns

Some really great ones listed here. One I didn't have on my list, because I really don't view it as a "western" so much, it's kinda in that Jeremiah Johnson category... Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart.
What Genre would you place Jeremiah Johnson? I mean it wasn't a traditional cowboy style western but the story of the Mountain Men of the Rockie is definately a part of American western lore. Not to mention it was a fantastically well made movie.

AMC has been playing westerns for the past two weeks.

Right now "Two Mules for Sister Sarah" is on.

Do you remember Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Paladin, etc.

AMC has been playing westerns for the past two weeks.

Right now "Two Mules for Sister Sarah" is on.

Do you remember Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Paladin, etc.

Gunsmoke and The Rifleman were two of my favorites. My grandfather was a huge Gunsmoke fan. They ate supper at the same time every day, except on sunday. then they ate earlier so he wouldn't miss a minute of "His Show".

Gunsmoke and The Rifleman were two of my favorites. My grandfather was a huge Gunsmoke fan. They ate supper at the same time every day, except on sunday. then they ate earlier so he wouldn't miss a minute of "His Show".

Just remembered "Wanted: Dear or Alive.

What Genre would you place Jeremiah Johnson? I mean it wasn't a traditional cowboy style western but the story of the Mountain Men of the Rockie is definately a part of American western lore. Not to mention it was a fantastically well made movie.

Hmm.. Not sure what genre, but like Shenandoah, it's not a 'traditional' western. It was a great movie.. Whatchya hunitn? ..Griz!

Hmm.. Not sure what genre, but like Shenandoah, it's not a 'traditional' western. It was a great movie.. Whatchya hunitn? ..Griz!
\

In his last meeting with Bearclaw; Bearclaw tells him, while leaving, "You've done well, to keep so much hair; when so many's after it. I hope you will fare well".

\

In his last meeting with Bearclaw; Bearclaw tells him, while leaving, "You've done well, to keep so much hair; when so many's after it. I hope you will fare well".

Yeah, and he has the confrontation with the Indian, but he's not really a 'cowboy' per say. Like I said, I guess you can call it a non-traditional western? Shenandoah is set in Virginia during the Civil War, so it's definitely not a western... still has a 'western' feel to it. I think these fall into a different category. You wouldn't find either on any list of top westerns, I don't think. Not to say they're not great movies, and JJ did involve a western setting.

Here is my favorite bit of trivia for a tv western star.

Most people know Chuck Connors played professional baseball. But he also played in the NBA on the Celtics.

The cool trivia fact for the day is that he was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard; he did it while playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946.

Something that has always been a mystery to me concerning westerns, and maybe someone here can shed some light... Why is everyone always wearing long sleeves? And usually, some kind of leather vest or coat? Was it freezing cold back in those days or something? (Maybe it was before global warming?) ;)

I've just always wondered about it... here we are in the desert, and all these cowboys are wearing dark long-sleeve shirts with vests and coats. I guess the only theory I've come up with, is that the garments (if not wool) were 100% cotton back then, and would absorb the sweat, helping them to stay cool? But they didn't bathe everyday, and this was before we had commercial deodorants, so they were indeed some ripe smelling people, for sure. And.. you never see the big sweat circles under their arms and on their backs, so I don't know. It has just always been one of those things that seemed curious to me. I would've been cutting the sleeves off my shirts in the 110 degree New Mexico heat.

Something that has always been a mystery to me concerning westerns, and maybe someone here can shed some light... Why is everyone always wearing long sleeves? And usually, some kind of leather vest or coat? Was it freezing cold back in those days or something? (Maybe it was before global warming?) ;)

I've just always wondered about it... here we are in the desert, and all these cowboys are wearing dark long-sleeve shirts with vests and coats. I guess the only theory I've come up with, is that the garments (if not wool) were 100% cotton back then, and would absorb the sweat, helping them to stay cool? But they didn't bathe everyday, and this was before we had commercial deodorants, so they were indeed some ripe smelling people, for sure. And.. you never see the big sweat circles under their arms and on their backs, so I don't know. It has just always been one of those things that seemed curious to me. I would've been cutting the sleeves off my shirts in the 110 degree New Mexico heat.

Desert nights are fairly cool, and the heat is a dry heat so the sweat evaporates, unlike the heat in Alabama which just sits there sucking the life out of you. No one was going to change clothes several times a day, so they wore long sleeves. (and probably only owned a few shirts)

You wear long sleeves because, A) it's the style of the time (no short sleeve anywhere else), and B) it keeps you cooler if properly fitted and keeps your skin out of the sun. They may not have known about what causes skin cancer, but they knew that you can't work if your ass is burned up. Same for the ME as for the West.

Desert nights are fairly cool...

Uhm... not in the summer, I've been there.. 100 degrees for the low is not cool. But you might have touched on something with the "number of shirts" thing.. if you can only have one shirt, you'd want long sleeves, because you can always roll them up. Still... In The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, we see the two main characters crawling through the desert, lips parched, obviously dehydrated, and ...lol... wearing the same long sleeve shirts! Later, Eastwood is wearing a sheepskin vest and Tuco an overcoat... now you might presume that it could have been winter, but they waded through the water to blow up the bridge, it was obviously not THAT cold. Another funny thing in that movie, Clint Eastwood has his hat shot off, but later has a new hat... then he is captured and taken prisoner, after he escapes, he has yet another new hat... they must have had old hats just laying around everywhere back then, probably from all the people getting shot all the time? ;)

We used to tease my Aunt that she had the same name as Festus's mule.

Here is my favorite bit of trivia for a tv western star.

Most people know Chuck Connors played professional baseball. But he also played in the NBA on the Celtics.

The cool trivia fact for the day is that he was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard; he did it while playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946.
Chuck Conner was also a big advocate for Chiropractors and worked for their national association as a spokesman for a long time. His work went a long way towards helping Chiropractors gain public acceptance in the 60's and 70's.

Ever ride a horse Dixie....or more to the point, ever fall off of one?

Not all the west is a blistering hot dessert. Much of cowboy country is in the far north (Wyoming? Montana?) but you wear all that cloths and gear as protection from the brush, dirt, dust, insects, cow flop and from road rash if you fall of the damned horse.

Growing up on a farm you learn real quick that you don't work on a hot summer day in a t-shirt and shorts and a pair of flip flops. You'll get tore up pretty bad, pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Back