We've got an election tommorrow

Just like last time, the Republicans won all but one statewide office. There is some difference, though, in that my senator is now a Republican (haven't checked the house, but I don't give a shit honestly). But 26 didn't pass.

Didn't the healthcare mandate fail as well? (I.e., you profligates don't have to buy it).

Yes. Ohio voters approved the proposal to prohibit people in Ohio from being required to purchase health insurance as part of a national program. It is interesting how this is being reported. This is, at best, a mixed result. Obamacare is now directly at odds with Ohio state law per the vote of the people but all the stories are about the effort to curb bargaining for public unions announcing what a great victory it is.

I think it is a victory for republicans that the health care mandate prohibition passed in Ohio.

Yeah, my state representative is now a Republican as well. In 2009, my state senator and representative were Democrats, and my federal representative was a Democratic. Only my senator was a Republican. Now it's Republicans all the way up, unless you count Obama I guess, since he's sort of a national representative.

Yes. Ohio voters approved the proposal to prohibit people in Ohio from being required to purchase health insurance as part of a national program. It is interesting how this is being reported. This is, at best, a mixed result. Obamacare is now directly at odds with Ohio state law per the vote of the people but all the stories are about the effort to curb bargaining for public unions announcing what a great victory it is.

I think it is a victory for republicans that the health care mandate prohibition passed in Ohio.

Federal laws have supremacy. State law cannot be at odds with federal law. If it were, it's not a law.

The Republican's didn't take the house and the maintained the senate. Overall, there was little change in the composition of either, unlike many other state legislature elections as of late which have produced dramatic swings to one side or the other.

I wouldn't read to much into that. All it really does is add to the probability that the insurance mandate's constitutionality will be determined by SCOTUS. If SCOTUS supports the constitutionality of the insurance mandate then the Ohio law would be mooted. If it is a win for Republicans it's not much of a win. The way the law was phrased on the ballot pretty much gaurenteed the issue would win. Who would vote to give up a right? But that's not my concern. The State of Ohio won't have the last word on this in regards to the Affordable Care Act. My concern is that this law is very poorly phrased and establishes precedents for insurance that the industry may live to regret. They may well have opened a can of worms. I agreed with the league of womens voters who opposed this on the basis that the law was very poorly written. Not only will this law not have an impact on the Affordible Care Act, it's possible it can lead to more law suits, impinge upon the States ability to regulate public health and could have the defacto effect of de-regulating the medical and insurance industry. Wouldn't that be lovely? The only thing it really accomplished was to prevent Ohio from implementing a Massachusets style health care program (aka Romneycare).

So yea....it was a win for Republicans but not of the magnitude of their losing issue two. I don't think Issue two will have much of an impact on how Ohio votes nationally. I think it will have a far greater impact at the State level and will probably send more Dems to the Statehouse. If Issue two affects the 2012 election on Obama's favor and it could since a large number of traditional Republicans (Nurses, Firemen, Policemen and educators from the rural regions of the state have traditionally voted Republican over the last 30 years.) could vode Democratic. If that were to occur then probably the most significant outcome would be Obama winning Ohio and more then likely winning re-election with the concurrent result that John Kasich's political career will be over.

Hell of a gamble for Kasich. Had issue two won then he would probably would have been a shoe in as second term Governor and a front runner as Presidential candidate in 2016 or 2020.

So there's no way to say if the Dem or Repub parties came out winners or losers in Ohio but there's no arguing that Kasich and some Ohio legislatures came out big loosers by grossly over reaching like they did. The good news for Kasich is he has three years to resurect his shattered political position. A lot will depend on what happens in 2012. My guess is he's done as a national political figure if Obama wins in 2012 and he certainly has helped Obama's cause in Ohio though that certainly doesn't guarentee Obama will win Ohio. The dumbass has affectively alienated 350,000 public workers and their families of whom about 55 to 60% voted Republican.

IMHO Issue #2 was a big win for Dems and Issue#3 was a small but significant loss.

Back