What are some of your favorite brands of canned tuna?

I got the inspiration for this thread after having some Chicken of the Sea canned tuna this evening. Our two kitties DID get some, as well. The tuna was delicious, better than the Starkist tuna I had the other evening. So my favorite brand is Chicken of the Sea, followed by Starkist, and Bumblebee. I had some generic store brand canned tuna not that long ago that was NOT too tasty. I'd say avoid generic or store brand canned tuna, even if it IS cheaper.

I have seen some that looks like it is the stuff they clean off of the machinery at the Tuna Canning Factory.

We buy that stuff for the cats.

I have seen some that looks like it is the stuff they clean off of the machinery at the Tuna Canning Factory.

We buy that stuff for the cats.

I'm sure that stuff is most likely a generic or store brand. The store brand tuna I had not too long ago LOOKED pretty bad and didn't taste much better.

I'm sure that stuff is most likely a generic or store brand. The store brand tuna I had not too long ago LOOKED pretty bad and didn't taste much better.

That is my point, and it is not just Tuna....some of these store brand canned fish products are pet food sold as human food.....they are not even trying to bring quality.

That is my point, and it is not just Tuna....some of these store brand canned fish products are pet food sold as human food.....they are not even trying to bring quality.

I had a can of tuna that was so awful and dry that not even mayo helped. I doubt it was even from any kind of fish.

Mayo (Miracle Whip is better)
Chopped celery
Chopped onions, pickles or relish
Boiled eggs
Chopped green peppers (banana peppers if you want it spicy)
Optional:
Pepper
Little mustard (for additional spice)
Cheese (or regular or spicy pimiento cheese spread)

I recommend hearty rye bread.

Chopped celery
Boiled eggs
Optional:
Pepper

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good!

I am currently pissed off about fish sticks. This is a food that we used to know how to do, for at least a half century we knew how to make fish sticks. I wanted some....had not had any in maybe a decade...wife got Van De kamp a top brand so far as I know....

They suck....... Everything about them sucks, the flavor, the texture and the breading...

But they make sure to tell you "NO FILLERS".....this is for people who eat the nutritional label ...NOT for people who eat fish sticks.

I feel sorry for all the kids who have to grow up in inferior fish sticks.

Note to Fellow Steven: Please pardon this sort of tangent.

Genova Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil is pretty good...;) So is StarKist E.V.O.O. Solid Yellowfin Tuna with Roasted Garlic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Chopped celery
Boiled eggs
Optional:
Pepper

Try roasted red peppers sometime;) Or/and sundried tomatoes
Mayo, though...please;)
(And if you're using good rye? Go grilled...nothing like a tuna melt;)

I am currently pissed off about fish sticks. This is a food that we used to know how to do, for at least a half century we knew how to make fish sticks. I wanted some....had not had any in maybe a decade...wife got Van De kamp a top brand so far as I know....

They suck....... Everything about them sucks, the flavor, the texture and the breading...

But they make sure to tell you "NO FILLERS".....this is for people who eat the nutritional label ...NOT for people who eat fish sticks.

I feel sorry for all the kids who have to grow up in inferior fish sticks.

Note to Fellow Steven: Please pardon this sort of tangent.

Aren't most fish sticks made with minced fish of different varieties?

Amazon and Kroger's have great sales sometimes...bad tuna or tuna in water is just...bad....
Kind of like the "minced" fish stick thing you mention...why even bother?;)

They are not minced....this is a rather expensive top brand....and they suck, because they are optimized for the nutritional label rather than for eating.

But ya...Why Bother.....that is where I am at with a lot of commercial products.

It is a God Damned great thing that I am a chef!

Back