What are some of your favorite songs by Bob Dylan?

Bob just fairly recently (May 24th) celebrated his 79th birthday. I gained a new appreciation for his music after my dad really got interested in his music around 2004. I now own over 30 CD's by Bob. Some of my favorite songs by him include "Like A Rolling Stone", "Lay Lady Lay", "Knocking On Heaven's Door", and "You Gotta Serve Somebody".

Like A Rolling Stone was one of the greatest songs in Rock History!

Most of the other great songs of Dylan became larger hits as recorded by other artists.

All Along The Watchtower, If Not For You, and Quinn The Eskimo were huge.

Many many years ago I had a friend/neighbor who was the only person I know in real life who was at Woodstock. Her name was Judy and she was ~5 years older than me. She traveled around the country following bands and doing what they did back then. She lived in Haight for a while, and in Greenwich Village too. For a brief time she stayed in a pad with other ppl down the hall from Dylan. She LOVED his music. But said he was an asshole, drank too much, was mean to people, and really nothing like she thought he would be.

I purchased, I believe, my 32nd CD by Dylan earlier today. It's Bob Dylan MTV Unplugged, first released in 1995. I've never heard this one, it has mixed reviews. I believe my dad liked it, but I'm not sure about that. I'll give it a listen tomorrow and let you know what I think of it, on this thread.

Many many years ago I had a friend/neighbor who was the only person I know in real life who was at Woodstock. Her name was Judy and she was ~5 years older than me. She traveled around the country following bands and doing what they did back then. She lived in Haight for a while, and in Greenwich Village too. For a brief time she stayed in a pad with other ppl down the hall from Dylan. She LOVED his music. But said he was an asshole, drank too much, was mean to people, and really nothing like she thought he would be.

I bet she had some interesting stories to tell. Too bad to hear that about Dylan. Many times our heroes are actually assholes, which is a hard kick in the ass, and difficult to accept.

I wish someone would translate his songs into English......

Ha-ha! Good one. It's interesting that once I got past Dylan's often horrific sounding vocals, I was able to appreciate the genius of his songwriting, and the strength and beauty of his lyrics and his music. Once you get beyond his awful voice, you most likely WILL appreciate the genius of his music.

I purchased, I believe, my 32nd CD by Dylan earlier today. It's Bob Dylan MTV Unplugged, first released in 1995. I've never heard this one, it has mixed reviews. I believe my dad liked it, but I'm not sure about that. I'll give it a listen tomorrow and let you know what I think of it, on this thread.

I still have several original albums and all of his Top 40 45's in mint condition. One of my favorites back-to-back is his Highway 61 Revisited Album.

I never made it to Greenwich Village/SOHO/Washington Square during the Folk days of old- BUT I KNOW HOW MUCH I MISSED OUT ON ONE GREAT MUSICAL EXPERIENCE.

I still have several original albums and all of his Top 40 45's in mint condition. One of my favorites back-to-back is his Highway 61 Revisited Album.

I never made it to Greenwich Village/SOHO/Washington Square during the Folk days of old- BUT I KNOW HOW MUCH I MISSED OUT ON ONE GREAT MUSICAL EXPERIENCE.

I bet THOSE records are worth a good penny, so to speak. I hope you can hold onto them. I unfortunately had to sell approximately 300 of my prized CD's in the early to mid 1990's because I had fallen on hard times financially. But this was when you could still get 4 dollars or more cash for each used CD at a local music store in Phoenix, Arizona that I frequented. I've since replaced some of the CD's, but some were obscure imports that are impossible to find now.

Well, not very good news about this CD. While it DOES have some nice moments, it's pretty darn boring in most spots. I'm glad I was able to purchase it at my local Barnes and Nobel for under 5 bucks, using my membership rewards. So this one is DEFINITELY not an essential purchase, by any means. I'd say it's only a good purchase for Dylan fanatics, like myself.

I bet THOSE records are worth a good penny, so to speak. I hope you can hold onto them. I unfortunately had to sell approximately 300 of my prized CD's in the early to mid 1990's because I had fallen on hard times financially. But this was when you could still get 4 dollars or more cash for each used CD at a local music store in Phoenix, Arizona that I frequented. I've since replaced some of the CD's, but some were obscure imports that are impossible to find now.

I have a part-time record sales business. I set up a booth in some of the record shows that come to my state. And I an starting to sell on EBAY and Amazon as well.

Some people invest in the Stock Market, you might say I invested in Vinyl.

I also am a Guitar and Amplifier collector, and I set up booths in all the State and local Guitar shows as well.

I am also a musician, guitar luthier, and instructer.

I have several small businesses that are all centered around music.

It is nice to be retired. With only one exception- I WORK HARDER NOW THAN EVER! LOL!

I have a part-time record sales business. I set up a booth in some of the record shows that come to my state. And I an starting to sell on EBAY and Amazon as well.

Some people invest in the Stock Market, you might say I invested in Vinyl.

I also am a Guitar and Amplifier collector, and I set up booths in all the State and local Guitar shows as well.

I am also a musician, guitar luthier, and instructer.

I have several small businesses that are all centered around music.

It is nice to be retired. With only one exception- I WORK HARDER NOW THAN EVER! LOL!

Wow, good for you! If you ever come across an album or CD titled, "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles, and Fripp", an import only release that I know of, please let me know. It's a fun, if not spectacular album that Robert Fripp did with the Giles brothers before he formed King Crimson. It's one of the CD's I sold in the early 90's. What's most disheartening about it is I believe I paid something like $22.99 for the single CD import, and got only 5 dollars in return when I sold it. I check for it periodically on Amazon or eBay, but it's usually outrageously priced. Another two CD's I'd like to replace are Speed of Sound and Diva Station by Ronnie Montrose. As well as various import CD's by Muddy Waters I once owned.

Wow, good for you! If you ever come across an album or CD titled, " The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles, and Fripp", an import only release that I know of, please let me know. It's a fun, if not spectacular album that Robert Fripp did with the Giles brothers before he formed King Crimson. It's one of the CD's I sold in the early 90's. What's most disheartening about it is I believe I paid something like $22.99 for the single CD import, and got only 5 dollars in return when I sold it. I check for it periodically on Amazon or eBay, but it's usually outrageously priced. Another two CD's I'd like to replace are Speed of Sound and Diva Station by Ronnie Montrose. As well as various import CD's by Muddy Waters I once owned.

I can remember when New Age music was on the horizon, and I have some of the earlier Fripp and Giles New Age or Avant Garde albums.

I am also a huge fan of the Music Stores in Phoenix and Tuscon! I still buy records at the store that the Gin Blossums worked at, and the other one where the Lady runs now, that took it over when her husband died. I know you know which ones.

Talking about cd's. I still have thousands, but never play them anymore. I should sell them. My regret is setting all my 8-tracks out to the trash about 30 years ago. I had thousands of them, and they now sell for big bucks.

I framed my original NM UK IMPORT King Crimson Album many years ago. It is probably worth it's weight in gold now!

Wow, good for you! If you ever come across an album or CD titled, "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles, and Fripp", an import only release that I know of, please let me know. It's a fun, if not spectacular album that Robert Fripp did with the Giles brothers before he formed King Crimson. It's one of the CD's I sold in the early 90's. What's most disheartening about it is I believe I paid something like $22.99 for the single CD import, and got only 5 dollars in return when I sold it. I check for it periodically on Amazon or eBay, but it's usually outrageously priced. Another two CD's I'd like to replace are Speed of Sound and Diva Station by Ronnie Montrose. As well as various import CD's by Muddy Waters I once owned.

I can't believe I just found the Giles, Giles, and Fripp CD, new, with bonus tracks, on Amazon, for $15.82! Now I have to decide if I can afford it at this time. It would be about 20 bucks with shipping charges included.

I can remember when New Age music was on the horizon, and I have some of the earlier Fripp and Giles New Age or Avant Garde albums.

I am also a huge fan of the Music Stores in Phoenix and Tuscon! I still buy records at the store that the Gin Blossums worked at, and the other one where the Lady runs now, that took it over when her husband died. I know you know which ones.

Talking about cd's. I still have thousands, but never play them anymore. I should sell them. My regret is setting all my 8-tracks out to the trash about 30 years ago. I had thousands of them, and they now sell for big bucks.

I framed my original NM UK IMPORT King Crimson Album many years ago. It is probably worth it's weight in gold now!

I'm sure you know of Zia Records, my favorite music outlet in Phoenix. They're the ones who bought my 300 or so CD's when I needed the money. And over the years, from roughly 1989 or so, when I first started buying CD's, until 2010, when I moved out of Phoenix and the state of Arizona, I most likely sold at LEAST another several hundred of my CD's to them. My favorite Zia stores were the one on roughly 23rd Ave.and Thunderbird, where I lived very closely to for about 14 years, and their store at first 7th Ave.and Indian School then later at 19th Ave.and Indian School. I've checked, and they're still at the Thunderbird location, but have moved the other location very close to where it was, to 19th Ave.and Camelback. I REALLY miss their stores. They had such a fantastic collection of music, and always had hard to find items. We have NOTHING like this here in Valparaiso, Indiana. But our local Barnes and Nobel DOES have a pretty good selection of CD's, with many priced at just $4.99. And you can special order items if they have them in their system and in one of their warehouses.

Well, I found both the Speed of Sound and The Diva Station CD's by Ronnie Montrose on Amazon. The good news is Speed of Sound is $15.99 before shipping, which is reasonable. The bad news is The Diva Station, a one disc release, is $113.39 before shipping! A BIT outrageous, to say the least.

I'm sure you know of Zia Records, my favorite music outlet in Phoenix. They're the ones who bought my 300 or so CD's when I needed the money. And over the years, from roughly 1989 or so, when I first started buying CD's, until 2010, when I moved out of Phoenix and the state of Arizona, I most likely sold at LEAST another several hundred of my CD's to them. My favorite Zia stores were the one on roughly 23rd Ave.and Thunderbird, where I lived very closely to for about 14 years, and their store at first 7th Ave.and Indian School then later at 19th Ave.and Indian School. I've checked, and they're still at the Thunderbird location, but have moved the other location very close to where it was, to 19th Ave.and Camelback. I REALLY miss their stores. They had such a fantastic collection of music, and always had hard to find items. We have NOTHING like this here in Valparaiso, Indiana. But our local Barnes and Nobel DOES have a pretty good selection of CD's, with many priced at just $4.99. And you can special order items if they have them in their system and in one of their warehouses.

Gotta' love Zia's, Tracks In Wax, Pink Elephant- SO MANY there- More than here in DFW!

Now that Jack White is molding the oldies again, I am trying to collect as many of those old re-issues as I can. Zia's has a huge offering of them. There is just something about the old record labels that say's "If it is on this label- It has to be good"! And Jack White is to be commended for his great efforts in making it all come back to life again! Who even knew he knew anything about this era of music?

I haven't been to Indiana in a while, but they had some great Thrift stores in Indianapolis to buy records at.

Gotta' love Zia's, Tracks In Wax, Pink Elephant- SO MANY there- More than here in DFW!

Now that Jack White is molding the oldies again, I am trying to collect as many of those old re-issues as I can. Zia's has a huge offering of them. There is just something about the old record labels that say's "If it is on this label- It has to be good"! And Jack White is to be commended for his great efforts in making it all come back to life again!

I haven't been to Indiana in a while, but they had some great Thrift stores in Indianapolis to buy records at.

I forgot about Tracks in Wax. They had a HUGE selection of vinyl and hard to find 45's. I miss that store as well. I remember I liked the one brother who was co-owner of the store, but didn't care much for the other one. The one I liked was really cool and he'd talk music with you if he had the time to do so. I believe he was the taller of the two, but I'm not totally sure about that.

Back