What happens when

Cancel7

Banned
the support our troops want, is the support to come home?

I cut out a large part of this piece, in order to comply with Damo’s copyright rules, but the link to the full story is at the bottom. There’s so much here that was too hard to cut out, and just put the one paragraph that I usually post, followed by the link.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the BS about supporting our troops. Our troops have never been monolithic, and there were always plenty of them who joined after 9/11 to fight in Afghanistan and ended up instead, in Iraq, and who questioned that. Now, polls of the military itself have shown more and more question this occupation. I can’t tell you how many insipid bushwhores have lectured me over the years about the soldiers they claimed to know personally, who literally “couldn’t wait to get back to Iraq.” I always wondered at the simplicity of a mind that didn’t understand the bonding that takes place in battle. I always grasped intuitively that these guys, many of whom were already suffering from survivor’s guilt, did not want to leave their buddies who were still alive, in the trenches. I knew this not because I am a genius, but because you have to be pretty damned stupid not to know it. It is human nature.

While no one understands better than I do, that we cannot take orders from our military, and so, the same way it does not matter if a majority of soldiers support a war, so it does not matter, if a majority do not support that same war...the fact that so many of them just want to get the hell home, goes a long way to proving the bumper sticker slogan of “Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home”. And it brings into question, just whom are you supporting these days? The troops, or this President? And if it’s the troops you support, and you are of a reasonable age, and you are physically fit, why are you supporting them FROM YOUR LIVING ROOM? They’re tired. They haven’t been home. They are on their 3rd and 4th tours. Their marriages have fallen apart in many cases. Many of them suffer from PTSD. They need rest. You want to support them? ENLIST. Give one of them a break. Oh, and they take females these days. Because some of the biggest, most voracious war-mongers and bushwhores I have known, have been women. Do your tough talking from Iraq.

By Michael Kamber
Sunday, May 27, 2007
BAGHDAD: Staff Sergeant David Safstrom does not regret his previous tours in Iraq, not even a difficult second stint when two comrades were killed while trying to capture insurgents.

"In Mosul, in 2003, it felt like we were making the city a better place," he said. "There was no sectarian violence, Saddam was gone, we were tracking down the bad guys. It felt awesome."

But now on his third deployment in Iraq, he is no longer a believer in the mission. The pivotal moment came, he says, this past February when soldiers killed a man setting a roadside bomb. When they searched the bomber's body, they found identification showing him to be a sergeant in the Iraqi Army.

"I thought, 'What are we doing here? Why are we still here?' " said Safstrom, a member of Delta Company of the 1st Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division. "We're helping guys that are trying to kill us. We help them in the day. They turn around at night and try to kill us."

His views are echoed by most of his fellow soldiers in Delta Company, renowned for its aggressiveness.

They had seen shadowy militia commanders installed as Iraqi Army officers, they said, had come under increasing attack from roadside bombs - planted within sight of Iraqi Army checkpoints - and had fought against Iraqi soldiers whom they thought were their allies.

"In 2003, 2004, 100 percent of the soldiers wanted to be here, to fight this war," said Sergeant First Class David Moore, a self-described "conservative Texas Republican" and platoon sergeant who strongly advocates an American withdrawal. "Now, 95 percent of my platoon agrees with me."

But in Safstrom's view, the American presence is futile. "If we stayed here for 5, even 10 more years, the day we leave here these guys will go crazy," he said. "It would go straight into a civil war. That's how it feels, like we're putting a Band-Aid on this country until we leave here."

To O'Flarity, the Iraqi security forces are militias beholden to local leaders, not the Iraqi government. "Half of the Iraqi security forces are insurgents," he said.
As for his views on the war, O'Flarity said, "I don't believe we should be here in the middle of a civil war."

"We've all lost friends over here," he said. "Most of us don't know what we're fighting for anymore. We're serving our country and friends, but the only reason we go out every day is for each other."

"I don't want any more of my guys to get hurt or die. If it was something I felt righteous about, maybe. But for this country and this conflict, no, it's not worth it."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/27/news/delta.php

What a great article. IHT honestly sometimes has the best journalists and writers around.

Yes, Bush whores should join up, and relieve our solidiers in Iraq. It's their war, why aren't they fighting in it? This war has been an absolute abuse of the volunteer armed forces, and the national guard. A relatively small, volunteer army was not designed for this kind of abuse from republicans.

Army Recruiting Links:

www.goarmy.com

www.goguard.com

What a great article. IHT honestly sometimes has the best journalists and writers around.

Yes, Bush whores should join up, and relieve our solidiers in Iraq. It's their war, why aren't they fighting in it? This war has been an absolute abuse of the volunteer armed forces, and the national guard. A relatively small, volunteer army was not designed for this kind of abuse from republicans.

Army Recruiting Links:

www.goarmy.com

www.goguard.com

Thanks, but it won't help. I've gone so far as to look up local recruiting stations for individual posters, in order to make it easier for them.

Guess what? They're still "supporting the troops" from their bedrooms and living rooms.

the support our troops want, is the support to come home?

I cut out a large part of this piece, in order to comply with Damo’s copyright rules, but the link to the full story is at the bottom. There’s so much here that was too hard to cut out, and just put the one paragraph that I usually post, followed by the link.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the BS about supporting our troops. Our troops have never been monolithic, and there were always plenty of them who joined after 9/11 to fight in Afghanistan and ended up instead, in Iraq, and who questioned that. Now, polls of the military itself have shown more and more question this occupation. I can’t tell you how many insipid bushwhores have lectured me over the years about the soldiers they claimed to know personally, who literally “couldn’t wait to get back to Iraq.” I always wondered at the simplicity of a mind that didn’t understand the bonding that takes place in battle. I always grasped intuitively that these guys, many of whom were already suffering from survivor’s guilt, did not want to leave their buddies who were still alive, in the trenches. I knew this not because I am a genius, but because you have to be pretty damned stupid not to know it. It is human nature.

While no one understands better than I do, that we cannot take orders from our military, and so, the same way it does not matter if a majority of soldiers support a war, so it does not matter, if a majority do not support that same war...the fact that so many of them just want to get the hell home, goes a long way to proving the bumper sticker slogan of “Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home”. And it brings into question, just whom are you supporting these days? The troops, or this President? And if it’s the troops you support, and you are of a reasonable age, and you are physically fit, why are you supporting them FROM YOUR LIVING ROOM? They’re tired. They haven’t been home. They are on their 3rd and 4th tours. Their marriages have fallen apart in many cases. Many of them suffer from PTSD. They need rest. You want to support them? ENLIST. Give one of them a break. Oh, and they take females these days. Because some of the biggest, most voracious war-mongers and bushwhores I have known, have been women. Do your tough talking from Iraq.

By Michael Kamber
Sunday, May 27, 2007
BAGHDAD: Staff Sergeant David Safstrom does not regret his previous tours in Iraq, not even a difficult second stint when two comrades were killed while trying to capture insurgents.

"In Mosul, in 2003, it felt like we were making the city a better place," he said. "There was no sectarian violence, Saddam was gone, we were tracking down the bad guys. It felt awesome."

But now on his third deployment in Iraq, he is no longer a believer in the mission. The pivotal moment came, he says, this past February when soldiers killed a man setting a roadside bomb. When they searched the bomber's body, they found identification showing him to be a sergeant in the Iraqi Army.

"I thought, 'What are we doing here? Why are we still here?' " said Safstrom, a member of Delta Company of the 1st Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division. "We're helping guys that are trying to kill us. We help them in the day. They turn around at night and try to kill us."

His views are echoed by most of his fellow soldiers in Delta Company, renowned for its aggressiveness.

They had seen shadowy militia commanders installed as Iraqi Army officers, they said, had come under increasing attack from roadside bombs - planted within sight of Iraqi Army checkpoints - and had fought against Iraqi soldiers whom they thought were their allies.

"In 2003, 2004, 100 percent of the soldiers wanted to be here, to fight this war," said Sergeant First Class David Moore, a self-described "conservative Texas Republican" and platoon sergeant who strongly advocates an American withdrawal. "Now, 95 percent of my platoon agrees with me."

But in Safstrom's view, the American presence is futile. "If we stayed here for 5, even 10 more years, the day we leave here these guys will go crazy," he said. "It would go straight into a civil war. That's how it feels, like we're putting a Band-Aid on this country until we leave here."

To O'Flarity, the Iraqi security forces are militias beholden to local leaders, not the Iraqi government. "Half of the Iraqi security forces are insurgents," he said.
As for his views on the war, O'Flarity said, "I don't believe we should be here in the middle of a civil war."

"We've all lost friends over here," he said. "Most of us don't know what we're fighting for anymore. We're serving our country and friends, but the only reason we go out every day is for each other."

"I don't want any more of my guys to get hurt or die. If it was something I felt righteous about, maybe. But for this country and this conflict, no, it's not worth it."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/27/news/delta.php

Why do our troops hate America?
Maybe Redstate can explain.

***sigh***

Why do our troops hate America?
Maybe Redstate can explain.

Comments like this are so very rude...Try the Military web sites...funny how things like this are never said...all they complain about is having to fight a war with one hand tied behind their backs(whos fault is this???)...if they could do their jobs properly they would have been home along time ago!

Comments like this are so very rude...Try the Military web sites...funny how things like this are never said...all they complain about is having to fight a war with one hand tied behind their backs(whos fault is this???)...if they could do their jobs properly they would have been home along time ago!

Did you read the article? A lot of them want to come home. I want them to come home. If I'm anti-American for trying to get them home, then they're anti-American for saying it's useless to be fighting there, and they want to come home.

Exactly....

BB, the situation is such that they cannot do their jobs properly, they are having to be policemen.

And that was my point...after all both of us have been there done that... as well as the Korean war vets! I just get so tired of seeing people post what a few may or may not have said that are in the military...and walla' all think this way!...Not true...most think like soldiers...and it is a all volunteer military unless I missed the return of the draft somewhere!

I never heard how the military vote went when Kerry ran either. Most assumed they were for Bush, but you know how assumptions are ;)
I don't think anyone should drop out till the military votes are counted in 2008.
the results might suprise most.

Yes!

Did you read the article? A lot of them want to come home. I want them to come home. If I'm anti-American for trying to get them home, then they're anti-American for saying it's useless to be fighting there, and they want to come home.

I read the article...what is your point other than trying to convince everyone that 'all' soldiers feel this way...it is not true by any stretch of the imagination...just creative writing 101 on behalf of the writer...:rolleyes:

We sure did...

I never heard how the military vote went when Kerry ran either. Most assumed they were for Bush, but you know how assumptions are ;)
I don't think anyone should drop out till the military votes are counted in 2008.
the results might suprise most.

Lt. Kerry was on 99% of vets and active miltary hit list...nice try though!

But the votes......
I know well the perception BB, But would like to know the truth. What was the vote from overseas military ?

Beats me...

But the votes......
I know well the perception BB, But would like to know the truth. What was the vote from overseas military ?

But it is fair to assume that it was pro-conservative as the Gore and Kerry campaigns protested the validity of these votes...check it out before another diatribe ensues!;)

Back