what if they're wrong?

if these oil co ceo's had half a brain, they would be using these record profits to develop alternative energy; the writing's on the wall, they are fighting a losing battel in the long run; but then they only care about this quarter's results, so i guess it all does make sense in a warped sort of way.

if these oil co ceo's had half a brain, they would be using these record profits to develop alternative energy; the writing's on the wall, they are fighting a losing battel in the long run; but then they only care about this quarter's results, so i guess it all does make sense in a warped sort of way.
It makes perfect sense when the goal is my stock options over the next quarter, year, etc.

One of the best run companies, before it was bought out, was Tampax. The incentives were weighted towards long-term performance (3, 5, 10 years)rather than next quarter. The shareholders can force the board to adopt this mindset, but there seem to be many more speculators than investors.

for instance; is is a good idea to rebuild nawlins since it may be under water in 20 years anyway?
I don't think it is a good idea. Too often we get wrapped up in the question 'can we' rather than the question 'should we'.

Can we? Yes.
Should we? No.

And how long till hurrican prone areas become finiancially unfeasable to rebuuild in general ?
Kinda like living beside a river that floods every few years, and whining for the gummit to fix things because you are stupid enough to live in a flood plain.

Back